• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon ALLOWS Tethering?!?! WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthefence

Oct 29, 2008
I don't know if I just got transported through the space time continuum to a bizzaro universe, but I just went into Wireless settings and saw a new section where they allow you to setup USB or WiFi tethering. IT'S BUILT IN?!?!

Can someone pinch me please?

So far there have been no popups stating that they will begin to drain my bank account if I enable the setting. Why have there been ZERO news stories about this? How new is this? I feel like either I just stumbled onto a great new discovery, or I've been living in a cave.

(BTW, this is for a Droid 2 Global phone thru Verizon)

Yeah, I thought it was weird. Well, it's getting weirder, or normal-er. I've tested in the office via wireless option and it works without any issues or notices. This is a locked phone from Verizon btw. And I just tried it for the first time yesterday.

However, I tried doing it from my car and I could not get traffic on Maps on my tablet. Then I opened a browser and got a stupid Verizon landing page which blocks you from browsing saying something about subscription for mobile data access at $30/mo. That sounds more normal.

But then, I tried one more time from the office and I don't seem to get that Verizon page. I can browse with no separate agreement or plan. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually using the office WiFi to connect rather than the mobile data network, and that's why it's not blocking me (even though WiFi on the phone is turned off).

Well, I got excited for a moment, but alas, it's sounding like yet another tease from Big Mobile.
icon13.gif

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html even if the phone doesn't warn you of charges they can legally charge you because you accepted the TOS.

Edit: Yeahha beat me to it

Verizon does allow tethering if you pay for it. Tethering without paying for the plan that allows it is a violation of the terms of service even if the feature is built into the OS or easy to do. You can see more information here http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html

but you still have to accept that end of the agreement BEFORE they can charge you. If its not in the contract there is no TOS breach.

Upvote 0
but you still have to accept that end of the agreement BEFORE they can charge you. If its not in the contract there is no TOS breach.

And you have to accept that to get service from them.

The tethering clause in the Verizon contract has had the wording change as the tech and their policies have - but the clause has been there forever and a day, seems to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones