1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Verizon Android Plans? Difference between these?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Spriter, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Spriter

Spriter Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Hey guys. I had a quick question about two different plans with Verizon.

I'm planning on buying the droid (or similar android device) in the few upcoming weeks. I looked over the plans for android phones and ... here's what confuses me:

Plan #1: If you go here and enter your zip code, and look at the "PDA/Smartphone Nationwide Email" plan for $79.99 - it includes:
    1.) 450 minutes,
    2.) unlimited mobile to mobile,
    3.) unlimited night/weekends,
    4.) Domestic long distance,
    5.) Unlimited web browsing/email
    6.) and $.20/message texting
    --$79.99/month.

Plan #2: If you go to the same link, and select the 39.99 voice plan (Nationwide Basic 450), then add the $29.99 Data plan for Smartphones, then add $5 texting plan - it comes out to $75/month and includes:
    1.) 450 minutes,
    2.) unlimited mobile to mobile,
    3.) unlimited night/weekends,
    4.) Domestic long distance,
    5.) Unlimited web browsing/email
    6.) 250 text messages/month
    --$74.99/month.

So wtf? Why would anyone select the $80 plan and pay 20 cents/txt rather than the $40 voice plan and add the same stuff in the $80 plan PLUS 250 text messages for LESS monthly cost?

I'm must be missing something, right? What am I missing? :(

I'm assuming both include GPS since they are android phones, right? Or is that what the $80 plan has over the $75?

What's everyone else going with?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. tlbj6142

tlbj6142 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Good cach! That doesn't surprise me. There are often weird package combinations that work out to be cheaper than the "off-the-shelf" bundles. I've noticed similar things with various family plans.

3. TheBandit181

TheBandit181 Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Plan 1 is for people who use wireless sync. It includes the 44.99 data features that have been discussed here recently.

Wireless sync is a service offered by VZW for WinMo and Palm devices to receive email and sync contacts, calendar, etc. Basically, it requires the sync computer to run a program, which syncs with their website and the website then syncs with the phone. This service will soon be retired.

4. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Michigan
    The pda/smartphone plan bundles your minutes with your data plan and puts you on the higher end data plan. Generally this was for people using wireless sync, bb enterprise/professional. On a droid you are fine using the 30 data plan even if you are using your exchange.