1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] Any OS update news? 4.0.5 for VZ???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wilkster79, Apr 24, 2012.

1. wilkster79

wilkster79 Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    I am still running 4.0.2 on my Nexus. Has anyone got any info on when VZW users will be getting a figgin update to fix some of the bugs? Very annoying that the VZW Nexus has apparenlty become the bastard child of Google.

Advertisement

2. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Nope all is quiet on the western front. Yes its annoying, makes me wonder why I did not just buy a GSM model and run it on T-Mobile or ATT.

However, hang tight. Maybe we will have it by this summer, haha.

To be honest, you should just root and rom at this point. Its the only way.

TexDaddy57 and bradm77 like this.
  3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    makes me wonder why didnt i just buy a motorola, this crap from verizon is quite annoying.

Mr. Link and trophynuts like this.
  4. wilkster79

wilkster79 Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    What exactly does rooting and romming do? I've heard plenty about it, but don't wanna f*ck my phone up and brick it.

Is the rooted/rom versions essetnialy the same as the unlocked gsm model they just offered?

5. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Operator at TTM Technologies
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Once you go root you won't go back. So many awesome options in aokp. Its super easy to do.

6. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    there are lots of things you can do.
    #1: make a backup of your current software...so if something does go wrong down the line, you can flash your backup and be up and running.
    #2: Flashing ROM's, Kernals, and radios. which enhance the user experience, allowing tons of modifications, speeding up the phone a bit, getting better signal (radios only) and improving battery life. not to mention getting you on the latest OS. i think 4.0.4 ROMs started poping up the day after 4.0.4 got pushed to AOSP.
    #3: allows complete control over your phone...pretty much change anything you want to change.
    #4: free wireless tethering

it is worth it and its really simple with Wugs root toolkit. took me maybe 20 minutes to do it after the downloads finished.

as for the update...last i heard was early May. who knows though...frankly since i am already running 4.0.4 with the 4.0.4 radios and i am not having any issues at all, i could care less about the OTA. the only thing i gain from it is another set of radios which i will flash.

7. kvirus70

kvirus70 Newbie
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Michigan
    If you check at the top of the forums in this section, scary alien has 2 stickies explaining all about rooting, flashing roms and has a really substantial breakdown of any and almost all questions.

It's really well set up and moderated by Voided Saint and the other guides.

Have a looksee, it'll make you a believer I promise.

VoidedSaint and iowabowtech like this.
  8. beaumac

beaumac Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    I got this phone because it was supposed to be a nexus but we have not had an OS update in 4+ months. That plus the crappy battery and camera have me almost ready to get off of the android platform. This is very disappointing. Yea apple sucks but at least the os is stable and more of my friends are on it.

9. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I agree, it is lame and it does suck. I never had any desire to try alternate ROM, but I was tired of waiting on the update to fix the JavaScript problem (the only real problem my phone had).
    I installed a ROM and JavaScript is fixed.
    I know it sucks to have people say install a ROM, but it fixed my problem.

10. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    Not trying to be a smarty pants, but while I understand many of your arguments, what difference does the fact that more of your friends have an iPhone make when it comes to what you want in a phone?

Outatime likes this.
  11. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Operator at TTM Technologies
    Chippewa Falls, Wi
    I'm not a sheep. This is why I don't have an iPhone.

Lucky Armpit and colchiro like this.
  12. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    I'm really disappointed in the lack of updates. I honestly thought that buying a Nexus phone would have gotten us quicker updates. I didn't expect them to come straight from google, with VZW staying out of it entirely, but I really didn't expect it to take this long.

Lucky Armpit and trophynuts like this.
  13. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I thought I was voting with my wallet by buying a nexus device. I was tired of long waits for updates and having to root my phones to get updates(bricked one but paid $50 to have it opened up and fixed). Seems like this will be an inherent flaw in android that will never be able to be fixed.

14. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    I don't know if I'll get an answer here, but have any of you owned another Nexus device? How often and how many updates did they receive?
    And keep in mind, Verizon certainly has a hand in this. Think about how much longer the NS4G took to get ICS versus the unlocked NS.

15. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I've seen lots of Motorola bootloader unlock petitions, which you know don't go anywhere.

As anyone seen a petition to allow us SGN updates direct from Google? I'd prefer to take my chance with Google.

TexDaddy57 likes this.
  16. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    The Droid Razr has had its own set of issues...

17. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    i would gladly trade issues. Being able to make a complete phone call would be nice from my home. I tried 5 times yesterday on the REPLACEMENT GALAXY NEXUS THAT I GOT YESTERDAY and everyone of those calls failed....that never happened on my Droid X

Lucky Armpit likes this.
  18. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    If you go into every phone's section on this or any other website and look at posts from the first few months after its release you will find dozens of posts about people having problems, returning the phone multiple times and finally either getting a phone that works to their standards or switching phones completely. EVERY one. Android, BlackBerry, iPhone. It doesn't matter.

The issue that I always have is people who draw conclusions that every phone is flawed based upon their own experiences. I haven't had the problems that people here have described. I have had zero dropped calls. I have had two random reboots. My 4G is almost always between 2 and 4 bars. I don't have screen banding or pixelating. My volume was low before I flashed a 4.0.4 based ROM, but that has been corrected.

My point is, yes there are bad phones and people have had bad experiences. But there are lots of good ones out there too.

19. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i was experiencing the mic bug, and now on the new 4.0.4 rom it has returned (AOKP B34)

5 random reboots yesterday.

sound wise is great!
    i use google music, then change the sound settings.
    but as far as alarm wise? no dice, its pretty low, before it could wake me up, now i am relying on my other alarm clock (i'm a very heavy sleeper, but i can easily wake up to the slightest noise, it's strange i know)

but other than that, im good, but the mic bug is a big issue for me. i dont like to make a call and they either can't hear me, or they say i sound like i'm a robot. not cool

20. pool_shark

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    The issue I have is people who draw conclusions that because their phone isn't having issues that those who are must be doing something wrong.

I didn't have dropped calls or signal issues either, but that didn't make me blind to the fact that many people were having problems.

HAHA. My other post was deleted. Awesome!

21. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i think everyone knows this phone has issues, for the ones who say it doesnt, they obviously havent seen some of the threads here.

of course some people do not experience the issues, and i for one am glad they do not

but i do know all phones do

22. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    I would not draw that conclusion at all. There are a portion that are legitimately having problems with a flawed device and trying to find solutions.

There are also a portion that get the phone, immediately install ATK and then come here and complain that they're getting random resets all day long and blame the phone.

23. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i dont think atk is the problem with the phone in that case, it just kills applications and shouldnt cause os vulnerabilities that will cause it to restart.

24. pool_shark

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I wasn't referring to you drawing the conclusion. I was referring to my previous post (which was deleted), stating that when the phone first came out I mentioned the many problems some people were having but a large majority of users here would state that they aren't having issues, the phone is perfect and "amazing" and that those having issues were due to user error.

25. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    Oh yeah, and with that I totally agree. Logic works on both sides of the street :) Just because I'm not having problems doesn't mean you're not.

Tags: