1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Anyone have this "charging" problem?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kevin86, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kevin86

kevin86 Newbie

Hey guys a few days ago I put my nexus on charge and went to bed to wake up and find that it had not charged and was at 20%. I thought that particular charger may have went bad and went to try another one. No luck. I tried one more just to rule out coincidence and still no charge. So I turned the phone off and left it at home while I went to work thinking I may need the last bit of juice to copy some files over I would need later in case this turned out to be major. I come home turn it on and it starts charging. It has charged ever since, but when I unplug the phone it still "thinks" it is charging for a few seconds then stops then "thinks" it is charging again. So what I am ending up with is when I unplug the phone everytime the screen goes off it thinks I just plugged the charger up and kicks it back on. Then goes dark again and kicks back on. That's milking my battery in about 3 hours. I've done three wipes and no fix. This started while running the first beta of liquid smooth which ran flawless since it's release and tried updating to beta 2 and the problem is still there. I don't think it has anything to do with the ROM but does anyone have any suggestions of something else to try? Thanks all.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jmar

jmar Nexican

Honestly, I think you have a bad USB or something stuck in your micro USB port on the phone. Try a different USB and check the port on your phone. These are my first two instincts.

jmar

3. noahdr

noahdr Member

I had similar issues with my usb port. sometimes it would say charging even though it wasn't. I had to get a replacement phone, Verizon said it was a hardware issue with the port.

4. kevin86

kevin86 Newbie

I'm starting to think that's what it is. Wiping everything out isn't helping. I dread starting the whole replacement thing. Seems like very few have luck with that, but I guess I have no choice. Thanks for the input guys.

5. This is actually quite strange that you're having this issue too. I have nearly the exact same problem on my Gnex as well right after I had flashed liquid and than flashed another rom over it. I even returned to stock and locked the boot loader and still it wasn't fixed. But I do feel like this very well might be coincidence considering that I just figured that it was a hardware issue with my micro usb port.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I am having a similar problem. I have had my phone for three months and this just started a day or two ago. I have not installed any new ROMs. If I charge the phone using an old but higher quality cable that I have at work, I don't think I get the same problem. I just ordered some new OEM charging cables; but I'm not completely confident this will solve the problem since one of the chargers that may be causing the problem is the one that came with the phone.

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I have a similar problem with a spare cable I use at work but mine is definitely an issue with that particular cable. I notice if I put some rearward pressure on the cable (while holding the phone with the screen facing me), it'll start to charge. So it's just an iffy connection. Make sure that's not the problem before exchanging the phone.

8. txwolf1980

txwolf1980 Android Enthusiast

[​IMG][​IMG]Had the same issue. The micro usb in the phone gets bent down. What I did was take a staple, and unbend it, then make kind of u shape. Stick it on the end of a paper clip with tape (the paper clip serves as a handle). Turn the phone off, remove battery, then hold the power button for 10 seconds to make sure the leads are totally discharged. Next, gently slide the staple under the port extrusion in the phone, and press up until you can easily slide the staple underneath with a hair of clearance. When my micro usb plug felt stiff to plug into the port, it was just about right. It still gets temperamental from time to time, but it's pretty much fixed. When I get back to my truck, I'll take a picture and edit the post so y'all can see what I'm talking about

9. DoctorEyeSight

DoctorEyeSight Android Enthusiast

Hello,

I had the same battery issue as the OP posted. However, currently it has been resolved since I am running Jelly Bean. When I had ICS AOKP B40, I had my phone over locked to its maximum and I assume the overclocking caused it (I was a newbie at that time). Currently, when I pulled out my charger from phone, it makes a minor squeaky sound. How is the warranty replacement with VZW and Samsung? Are we supposed to do paperwork since day 1 with Samsung?

10. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

If you bought your phone from VZW, your paperwork is basically your receipt and contract. They have everything documented from the purchase, so if anything needs to be done, they look it up via your phone number, and that's it. I'd try another charger if you can, just to see if it just might be the way that particular charger interacts with your phone, fit-wise.

DoctorEyeSight likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews