1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] Anyway to recover Photos/videos from bricked SGN?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jef400dread, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jef400dread

jef400dread Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I see that the term "bricked" has various meanings in forums. In my circumstance, I mean the phone does not respond to input, and does not indicate power. It went for a light and brief swim yesterday, and since, has shown no indication of power. Neither the battery nor the phone's "water damage indicator" stickers have been triggered. About a day after the dip, I have the phone in a zip lock back with 4 desiccant silica gel packs. I plan to leave it in there at least a day.

Luckily, big red confirms that I opted in for an extended warranty. After some unplug testing, and connecting the charger without the battery installed, they concluded that the phone needed to be replaced (and will be for no charge). I advised their tech support that the water damage stickers had not been triggered, but did not mention the brief dip the phone experienced. I cannot be sure about the extent or duration of the submersion, just that I pulled it from a wet pocket.

I confirmed that my contacts were backed up to google, but now I'm wondering if my pictures and videos are salvageable. I have the first 2 years of my kid's life on here, and I'm hoping there is a way to recover it.

My phone has an "internal SD" card, so it's there's nothing swappable. Before I ship the old phone back, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with file extraction from a (truly) bricked SGN's internal SD card.

With my experience working with big red's tech support in the past, it seems highly implausible (if not impossible) to expect them to keep track of my faulty hardware and perform the data extraction if it is possible. If they could, this would be nearly 30Gb worth of data, so it's not like they could send it to my hotmail account...

My replacement SGN is set to arrive tomorrow afternoon, and I'll have 5 days to return the old one before being charged. I plan to wait it out at least a day or two to see if I can restore it. If it works, the new phone will be returned. If not, should I even bother with going to a vzw store to talk to their tech support there? The branch offices with "tech support" in my area seem to be filled with folks with minimal phone/IT tech experience.

Advertisement

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. :)

3. jef400dread

jef400dread Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Which forum would that be?

Nm, found it.

4. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA
    Do you have the Android SDK on your computer? Did you have USB Debugging on under Developer settings? If no to the second, I'm afraid it is above my expertise.

5. jef400dread

jef400dread Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I do not have Android SDK on my PC. USB debugging was something that I toggled on and off depending on usage. I can't remember if it was last on or off.

Either way, the last few times I connected by SGN to my desktop PC, Vista said it didn't have the drivers for this device. I have transferred many a file from phone to desktop and vice-versa. This problem started when I my first Samsung USB to Micro USB cable failed, and I replaced the cable (only, not the black Samsung block that the USB end plugs into, to connect to a power outlet). This replacement cord is also made by Samsung, so I'm not really sure why Vista no longer wants to talk to the SGN...?

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    This is in the root forum but are you really rooted? Anyway, try pressing both the volume buttons and power all at the same time and also try pressing only power down plus the power button to see if you can enter either recovery (if rooted and custom recovery) or Download mode (for use with Odin).

If none of those work and you have a true hard brick, it may not be recognized no matter what you do. You should be able to access the pics if the phone has any sort of life as I believe they'll be housed in the DCIM folder on the sdcard partition which is navigable with Windows.

Also, I'm sure you've thought of this, but you're sure you didn't enable auto upload pics to your Google + account or similar along the way right?

jef400dread and jmar like this.
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    +1 ^^^ this.

Although I personally haven't done this, there are settings to auto sync your pics to Google+, Picasa, Photobucket, etc., depending on which or all you have installed. This makes me think about it, however . . . . Hmmm.

Failing that, if your phone cannot power up, unfortunately your are SOL.

On a side note for you and the readers, one of the first things I make sure I do to my Android phone is to switch USB debugging is on. Always. It has no detrimental effect on battery life, phone performance or any other thing whatsoever. That way, if something goes awry, one is already setup for the possible usage of adb.

good luck

jef400dread likes this.
  8. jef400dread

jef400dread Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I appreciate all of the advice. I did not copy my photos to any form of web service. I have 8 photos on Flickr from 1 fishing trip, but the rest of my life, I've intentionally excluded from the internet and cloud storage options. I'm a private person and don't like the idea of storing my memories in a remote location that could be accessible by someone other than me. Because of this I'm not a member of any social media website.

To iowabowtech; I wrote and placed this thread in a SGN troubleshooting forum. The thread was moved here by Petrah. Yes my phone is rooted. I'm coming up on 24hrs since putting the phone in the plastic bag with the silica gel packs. I will try your advice to use other buttons. I have a second battery, and access to a second charger. Also, yes the photos WERE stored in the DCIM folder, until I moved them to subfolders I created within the Photos folder. I'm not sure if that will make a difference later if the phone comes back to life.

I pasted this same problem in xda-developers forum, which lead me to google "ifixit teardown samsung galaxy nexus" which led me to this page;

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Teardown - iFixit

If I'm not able to power the phone back up, I may tear these two phones apart to swap out the associated parts. I'm sure if vzw figures out I did this, their gonna charge me lots of money.

If I somehow do restore these pics, I will back them up in two places on my LAN.

9. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Understood. Just trying to rule out all easy options first so that's why this follow up question. Do you by chance have the app "Lookout" installed? It's a security app but it also has a default setting to backup your pics to your own privately accessed space. If you do have it installed, you'd have had to knowingly make the effort to disable that feature.

Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse but wow, would that be easier than the alternative. ;)

jef400dread likes this.
  10. jef400dread

jef400dread Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I did not use Lookout. First I've heard of it. And IDK, I don't have a problem with taking the time to wire the phone up to both my desktop and laptop to copy the files I want saved. For reason's I can't really validate, I just don't want my pics stored outside my phone or LAN.

11. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA

No problem, I understand entirely. I don't know much about the forensic procedure to acquire the pics and yeah, I'm assuming if you don't return your phone in untampered condition, you may be laden with a full price charge, whatever that may be these days.

Unless you are prepared to be forthright (to the warranty provider) about your choices and actions, then we'll want to curb further discussion on that here at AF. I'm not saying that was going to occur, just heading it off at the pass as is my duty as a moderator here. Hope you understand. :)

jef400dread likes this.
  12. jef400dread

jef400dread Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Absolutely. I understand and appreciate the advice. I'm going to read through the teardown article on ifixit and see if this task is something I'm willing to try. With my luck lately, it's completely possible that big red would charge me full retail for both phones.

iowabowtech likes this.
Tags: