• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon: are we 3g or rev-a

WhyMyAlly

Dec 31, 2010
I was playing around looking at "secret info" and noticed I was connected to a rev-a tower. I know it was from old altell days. They were trying to offer actual fast internet when everyone else "I mean you too t-mobile" was limiting its usage. I was told rev-a was a slightly different network protocol than 3g offering slighty faster latency times for online games and sustained 3.2mbps as opposed to verizons 3g with more lag and 2.0 to 2.5mbps. Sometimes on other towers that I know are actually verizon towers the internet is slightly laggier and slower speeds. I also know that on altell towers the internet is stronger with less errors and better sustained internet speeds even at low signal bars. Even at 1 bar I can get ghetto internet speeds like 25 or 120kbps. So I'm wondering why if we switcch back and forth from 3g to rev-a compatible why is our phones not registering like showing 3g or rev-a. I was also wondering is it even possible to write an app that changes your status from one network or the next. I'm sure verizon wants to stomp out its competition and make it go away so rev-a never exist or has ever existed.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones