• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon at it Again: They Limit Software on the G4

inkdesigner

Mar 18, 2010
USA
I switched to AT&T, due to Verizons coverage going downhill and the problematic Droid Turbo (which VW wouldn't do nothing about). Got the LG G4 and loving it. OMG the difference from ATT and Verizon is amazing. Maybe due to ATT is GSM Verizon CDMA? not sure. But ATT -81 dBm Verizon -105 dBm. Also, glad ATT didn't mess with removing features from the G4.

Upvote 0
I switched to AT&T, due to Verizons coverage going downhill and the problematic Droid Turbo (which VW wouldn't do nothing about). Got the LG G4 and loving it. OMG the difference from ATT and Verizon is amazing. Maybe due to ATT is GSM Verizon CDMA? not sure. But ATT -81 dBm Verizon -105 dBm. Also, glad ATT didn't mess with removing features from the G4.

What have you noticed better with ATT over VZ?

Upvote 0
Truthfully, I (my opinion) think there's less bloatware and the bloat there is you can have the choice to disable and some uninstall. 4G speeds with ATT runs circles around Verizons (supposedly) 4G LTE (in my area). Coverage!!! OMG, ATT is outstanding, NO dropped calls, ALL calls coming through same with text. Verizon? 1/2+ went straight to voicemail, dropped calls left an right. BUT according to VW I was in a 4G LTE, one rep says good coverage (LOL) another said marginal. The LG G4 runs amazing on ATT, I wouldn't even chance (imo) running it on Verizon, after the problems with the Droid Turbo I experienced. I like the Smart Settings app (home, away, etc); custom lock screen (live weather on lock screen); and the different themes. All in all I have much better coverage and service with AT&T, which I was kind of surprised at :)

Upvote 0
I been with VZW for about 2 years. I came from Sprint as 9 year customer. With Verizon I never drop calls. I mean never. My 4G LTE is super fast. I live in Baltimore, MD. What state do you live in? I think some of you guys are in the sticks somewhere. It's a known fact VZW has the best Network. And for the LG G4. I'm upset they took out smart settings. I'm not returning over that. The phone still jams. Every carrier has made some alterations to there model. I have themes working on my VZW LG G4. But its over rated. The LG G world kind of sucks to be honest. Point is you jumped ship for another carrier who will just take your money like VZW and you still have bloatware. The battery life is excellent for me. I hope you guys enjoy the phone. I know I am.

Upvote 0
I been with VZW for about 2 years. I came from Sprint as 9 year customer. With Verizon I never drop calls. I mean never. My 4G LTE is super fast. I live in Baltimore, MD. What state do you live in? I think some of you guys are in the sticks somewhere. It's a known fact VZW has the best Network. And for the LG G4. I'm upset they took out smart settings. I'm not returning over that. The phone still jams. Every carrier has made some alterations to there model. I have themes working on my VZW LG G4. But its over rated. The LG G world kind of sucks to be honest. Point is you jumped ship for another carrier who will just take your money like VZW and you still have bloatware. The battery life is excellent for me. I hope you guys enjoy the phone. I know I am.
I'm in Central/east PA. Sorry, but my speeds with AT&T are way BETTER then I ever got with Verizon. With Verizon had to use a Network Extender (never had to use it in over 12 years I was with them), but alas, the phone calls, chats, letters, they wouldn't bother to check their towers. So speeds went way downhill. Got to the point their 4G LTE I couldn't even use it was that slow!!! So, maybe in larger cities they may be okay, sure not in my area. 45 Miles north of Harrisburg, PA.. And enjoying every bit of AT&T. Prices aren't anymore then Verizons, actually having better customer service, for me better all around. And Sprint, that you came from, LOL, they don't even have service here, same with Tmobile (well they have 2G here, lol).

Upvote 0
Verizon Never listens to its customers. Why don't we band together and demand action.
You can demand action by not buying bloated/modified phones from them, and make sure to tell them that's what you've done. They do what they think is best for them, their system and the masses. Keep in mind that the vast majority of smartphone users aren't overly savvy, they don't know the difference (or care) about what is or isn't on a phone. They text, FB and make a few calls.

I fixed their wagon, I'm contract free and got a Moto X Pure (the other lines have that or Moto X's) so none of their garbage on it. I got a sweet plan on a promotion a long while ago too. Yeah, I demanded they listen to me and my wallet. :)

Oh and, it's partially the phone manufactures fault. They could put their collective foot down and say no modifications. If the carriers balk they can go the Nexus or Moto (Blu, Huawei etc.) route and toss every radio know to man in there and bypass the carrier nonsense. Yup. They could.

Reactions: KOLIO and psionandy
Upvote 0
Verizon Never listens to its customers. Why don't we band together and demand action.

I already made my statement when I cancelled my Verizon service and switched to T-Mobile. Cheaper plans and better coverage, I've been very happy.

Most if not all FM stations are available via the Internet using any of the popular music apps. I can see why they'd remove it.

Makes sense. If you can use a built-in FM radio, you don't need as much data. Disable the built-in radio, and now you have to stream everything and get a bigger data package. More money for Verizon!

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Most if not all FM stations are available via the Internet using any of the popular music apps. I can see why they'd remove it.

The only reason Verizon disabled the FM chip is to force users to consume more data. I have the H815 model (unlocked international model) and the FM tuner works really good. Reception is great and the unlocked models also get a free pair of LG beats headphones which sound really good. With FM, it also consumes less battery and IMO, sounds even better then streaming. Most of the time FM tuners on these devices perform poorly. But I'm here to say the one that Verizon disabled on the G4 is a really well designed. The LG software is good and intuitive. It also came in handy last year when I was in Fiji during the cyclone winston. Really should be legislation forcing crappy carriers from disabling FM. I also get updates directly from LG far ahead of the carriers with zero issues.. The custom lock screens are a nice added feature. Unlocked is the only way to go. I will never buy a carrier phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones