• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [BOOT ANIMATION] ICS by BlackDino (updated 1/3/12)

jbdan

Extreme Android User
Jan 31, 2010
atl ga usa
This is an optimized version of the stock Galaxy Nexus boot animation. Richer colors and deep blacks that only our gorgeous SAMOLED can display. It looks great. Compatible with 4.0.3 roms.

Animation Link

Md5 = F2404526D86B5ECDFCAD3526028D32F0

Updated 1/3/12: further enhanced ICS Sharp (qHD) and Optimized boot animation. Put zip on sd card, flash in CWM, and behold :D

Thx blackdino & the theroosevelt!

Enjoy!

Haha, it seems like I've been replying to all of your threads, but maybe it's just that you have a ton of awesome threads :p

Anyway, this is the one I've been using for a while, and obviously like it better than the stock animation just because the purplish black background was irritating me before. The only thing that bothers me is that it's still sort of fuzzy. It doesn't seem to take full advantage of the fact that the screen is 720p. I hope blackdino or someone else makes a crisper version.

Heck, I might look into it. I unzipped the file and it seems like the animation is just made of of some still frames that are only 360x640 rather than full 720p. I would upscale them but there must be a reason that BlackDino didn't do it himself...

edit: ah...
There is no change in resolution,
It would be impossible for me to upres the bootanimation without completely recreating it

I'll give it a shot then ;)

Upvote 0
Haha, it seems like I've been replying to all of your threads, but maybe it's just that you have a ton of awesome threads :p

Anyway, this is the one I've been using for a while, and obviously like it better than the stock animation just because the purplish black background was irritating me before. The only thing that bothers me is that it's still sort of fuzzy. It doesn't seem to take full advantage of the fact that the screen is 720p. I hope blackdino or someone else makes a crisper version.

Heck, I might look into it. I unzipped the file and it seems like the animation is just made of of some still frames that are only 360x640 rather than full 720p. I would upscale them but there must be a reason that BlackDino didn't do it himself...

edit: ah...

I'll give it a shot then ;)

lol!

Yes please let us know if you re-create this in a higher resolution I want :D

And thanks!

Upvote 0
I finished upscaling them (don't worry, I partied for New Year's in between too :p) and sent them to BlackDino so he can repack them. Hopefully he does me that favor because I have no idea how boot animations are supposed to be built, I just edited the images.

The upscaling isn't perfect, because crisp perfection is unfortunately impossible, but I did try to lose as little quality as possible. It's definitely much crisper than before.

Here's an example of one frame (make sure to view full size)

Before (artificially resized)

After

If you don't think you see a difference, open both images in new tabs and switch between them. Hopefully you're impressed :cool:

On the Gnex screen, the fuzziness would be even more negligible.

Now just to wait on a response from BlackDino.

Upvote 0
Progress report: Here's a flashable ZIP for the 720p HD version as it stands right now
Upscld-jpg-dl-Nex.zip

Unfortunately, since higher resolution means higher file size, the animation is quite a bit more choppy than the lower resolution one. I'm looking into ways to decrease file size as much as possible without sacrificing image quality.

Upvote 0
Progress report: Here's a flashable ZIP for the 720p HD version as it stands right now
Upscld-jpg-dl-Nex.zip

Unfortunately, since higher resolution means higher file size, the animation is quite a bit more choppy than the lower resolution one. I'm looking into ways to decrease file size as much as possible without sacrificing image quality.

Awesome thanks a ton for doing this!

Upvote 0
Here's the final that BlackDino was kind enough to pack for me. Dino had to resize them to qHD, but that's still leaps and bounds above the 360x640 that the animation was before. I can't flash it right now to test it, but it should work smoothly and look much crisper than the original. Let me know if that's not the case.

Download

Installation

Use adb or Root Explorer to put the bootanimation.zip file in /data/local

Upvote 0
Use root explorer and extract the bootanimation.zip and then paste in either /system/media or /data/local then reboot, no need to install via CWM IMO;)

Yeah, I was going to do that that but just thought he'd like to know about the error ;). Thanks though!

edit: ah, after looking at the zip file, the issue is that it's not a CWM-installable zip. It's just the bootanimation.zip that needs to be moved, raw, into the right location.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you just have to move it to /data/local in 4.0.3 or /system/media (or the /data/local folder works too) in 4.0.2. Sorry, should've mentioned that.

I thyink both locations should work in either 4.0.2 or 4.0.3 as well as any version of android since at least 2.0.1 I believe. A factory reset will eliminate the one in /data/local but leave the one in /system/media. I also don't think you need root access to paste it in /data/local (which overrides any boot animation in /system/media)

Upvote 0
I thyink both locations should work in either 4.0.2 or 4.0.3 as well as any version of android since at least 2.0.1 I believe. A factory reset will eliminate the one in /data/local but leave the one in /system/media. I also don't think you need root access to paste it in /data/local (which overrides any boot animation in /system/media)

JaeKar99 over on Rootzwiki told me that 4.0.3 looks in /data/local for the bootanimation.zip file.

Upvote 0
JaeKar99 over on Rootzwiki told me that 4.0.3 looks in /data/local for the bootanimation.zip file.

I am on a 4.0.3 rom using the stock boot animation and the zip is in /system/media there is nothing in /data/local beyond cache files. If you put it in /data/local it will override anything in /system/media but the default location for boot animations is /system/media since that is a protected area and you have to have root access to do anything to it otherwise a factory reset would erase your boot animation.

Reactions: TheRoosevelt
Upvote 0
I am on a 4.0.3 rom using the stock boot animation and the zip is in /system/media there is nothing in /data/local beyond cache files. If you put it in /data/local it will override anything in /system/media but the default location for boot animations is /system/media since that is a protected area and you have to have root access to do anything to it otherwise a factory reset would erase your boot animation.

All right, thanks for clearing that up. Anyway, I just posted the flashable ZIP so there's no reason to muck about in the filesystem at all now :p

Upvote 0

Yeah you need root. I just tried and my data folder appears empty :-(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones