1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Bootloader Unlock on Verizon - Can You Clarify?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CTB6, Sep 29, 2014.

1. CTB6

CTB6 Member

Hi all. This weekend I crushed my current phone, so I'm looking at getting a Moto X (not the new, bigger one) and moving to Verizon. I've searched the web and found a lot of confusing statements about the Verizon version and rooting.

The Developer Edition can obviously be rooted, as its bootloader can be easily unlocked (or may be already). Can the regular Verizon edition also have this done? It looks like Verizon provides this service on their website, but without a phone ID, I can't actually check if you can finish the unlock process.

All I want to do is to root the phone so that I can block ads, use various apps that require root (backup, etc.), etc. I'm not looking to do custom ROMS or anything like that.

Is what I'm looking to do possible on the Verizon non-Developer version? Thanks very much for your help. I'd like to get the Moto X, but not if I have to put up with ads, etc. Thanks again.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I know, there is no way to get an unlock code from Motorola or verizon for a stock Moto X. There is the Sunshine app by jcase which can unlock the moto x, but it must be able to get root to do so, and the 4.4.4 version cannot be rooted at this time, and I've read no rumors suggesting that a root vulnerability is imminent.

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews