1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Bootlooping after flash CM10

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by what29, Jul 23, 2012.

1. what29

what29 Android Enthusiast

I have rooted my Verizon SG3, download Rom Manager, Flashed CWM for Verizon SG3. When i attempt to flash CM10 it flashes but then bootloops between the custom screen and the robot which it loads partially then bootloops back again....it will continue to do this. I have to use ODIN to flash the stock image again to get a working phone. what the heck am i doing wrong...

Also, when i try to make a backup in recovery, it says it can not copy the image...any ideas on either would be great...would be nice to be able to back up my current system without having to write in ODIN

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

did you wipe your data/cache after flashing?

3. what29

Yes, factory reset, wiped data and cache. also formatted system as i always did on my gnex

4. icerado

icerado Member

phones are always different regardless of it being the same manufacturer and because it doesn't say format system I would say that is an extra step that *could* cause problems. Try just a reset and wipe data/cache and delvik just to be safe.

5. what29

Same thing even after not formatting system...constant boot loop between "samsung Galasy SIII" screen, "samsung Custom" screen and Andy who partially loadsthen back to bootloop.

6. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

I just noticed this in the AOKP thread on Rootzwiki:
    "NOTE: With kexec, your device will appear to bootloop twice. This is expected and is the hijack running its course. Just sit tight and you'll see the unicorns in action soon enough."

Since CM10 is running the same exploit, maybe this is what you are seeing?

7. what29

Nope, i expected that but it just keeps doing it over 10 minutes until the battery is pulled. i went back to Odin and attempted to flash stripped.rooted.system.img.tar.md5 and odin works fine but when the phone boots up it says "encryption error" and makes me reset it...it keeps saying encryption error no matter how many times i reset it. i have used odin 2-3 times this morning and it always worked fine...same file...now this...i am downloading a couple more .tar files to try...i just need a phone

8. what29

Thanx to all who helped..was able to do stock restore them flash the pre rooted image. Would still like to be able to flash cm10 but can't

9. griff_opie

griff_opie Newbie

I think you need the K-Exec CWM recovery instead of the standard CWM recovery. Check here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1783262

10. rehpyc

rehpyc Android Enthusiast

Where did you find CM10? I ask only because I'm curious where you read instructions in how to install it. ROM manager works with the normal CWM whereas you need the one specifically designed for kexec, which CM10 requires you use that the person before me mentions.

11. Travisimo

Travisimo Android Enthusiast

That's right. I don't think the CWM from Rom Manager will work with cm10. Here's the proper recovery:

CWMod Based 6.0.1.0 Recovery for d2vzw - droidHIVE Forums

And here's the actual cm10 rom, which has been updated a couple of times already:

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/79-cm10-unofficial-for-d2vzw/

12. what29

That was it, i was using the incorrect CWM...got it up and running now..thanx to all again

13. UNDERT0W

UNDERT0W Member

You need cwm 6.0.1 to use cm10. cwm 6.0.1 boots and that boots cm10. So every time you start your phone it will boot into recovery so that it can load cm10. Just so everyone knows basically if you want any of the roms out there its best if your on cwm 6.0.1 and if you want to run a custom kernel right now without losing your recovery (cwm) you need to use cwm kexec. But with cwm kexec eveytime you turn your phone off and back on it will be back to stock kernel so you will have to go back into recovery kexec and reflash the custom kernel which then will be back to normal with custom kernel.

14. drumshark

drumshark Member

How'd you get it to work? Im having the same problem:/

On my Evo, while the phone was off, holding the power/volume+ buttons booted it into recovery, is there any way to do this with the s3, so I could just restore my nandroid?

15. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

Power+Home+VolUp boots into recovery

16. drumshark

drumshark Member

Apparently not when you're already stuck in a boot loop:/
    I get the black "Samsung" screen (with "recovery booting...") then the Galaxy s III screen, the loading Andy, then loop...

Edit. Kept pulling the battery and retry-ing, and got it to work:)

17. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

That sounds like the kexec stuff. If you get really stuck, boot into download mode and Odin flash a ROM to completely recover.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews