1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] BugMailer Auto Generated Reports?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eddieruko, Jan 4, 2012.

1. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    design engineer & program management
    TX
    I have no idea what is causing BugMailer to generate an Gmail message. I'm rooted, running RootzBoat v6.1 but it appears that it happens to others on BB as well.

It appears to be random - I get no FC in my apps, and it's not specific to any one app. It's happened half a dozen times in the last week: while in Google Maps, Tweetdeck, and even at the Lockscreen.

What is interesting (read: odd) is that it is sending the message from ME and addressed to ME. Furthermore, the mysid reads 4.0.2 despite the ROM being based off of 4.0.3.

Anyone have any insight or other experience with this? I'm in contact with the ROM devs but curious what's goin on here.

From what I understand, bugmailer is integrated into the android system. But why it's happening is completely beyond me.

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    It is part of the source code. It is used to make it easier to send bug reports.

There is a file in /system/bin called bugmailer.sh if you rename it to something like bugmailer.sh-old then reboot it should stop the issue you are having (you also may have a lot of screen shots in your gallery from bugmailer as well ;)) I also suggest making a backup before you rename the fle just incase but it shouldn't cause any problems.

eddieruko likes this.
  3. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    design engineer & program management
    TX
    thanks for the suggestion. i suspected that on reboot it would create another bugmailer.sh - i'm not really intent on making sure that it's functioning, but i didn't see a new file created. hopefully that stops that. that gets annoying.

just a clarification... for the longest time i was looking for a folder named "sh" within bin but i realized that bugmailer.sh is located within /system/bin.

Yeahha likes this.
  4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I wasn't sure of the exact location. The bugmailer.sh shouldn't be created at boot but the reboot would make sure it is not still cached and working. Renaming the file should prevent it from trying to send reports.

5. aznkitten

aznkitten Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    aaah!! I had to wipe my phone yesterday hoping it would stop this issue (thinking a bad app might have been the culprit) but it's still doing it. I notice it happens when I wake my phone. I'm not rooted, so how can i rename this file??? it is really annoying.

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Without being rooted I don't think you will be able to do anything with the file :( it is in /system that requires root access to modify. Do you have any of the developer options selected on your phone from the settings menu?

7. aznkitten

aznkitten Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Really? that sucks... :( the only one i have checked is the usb debugging .. what's the easiest way to root the gn?

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I personally think all of the root methods are pretty easy. The 1 click root method is most likely the easiest now

9. nkk

nkk Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    Ok...Ignore me. Being an idiot I thought I was posting a new thread. My apologies.

10. apolon18

apolon18 Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2012
    Montreal
    Some of the protective covers make pressure on the three buttons at the same time (volume up + volume down + on/off), because of the cover is very tight.

One - really rename the file.

But my solution much easier - I just cut a two windows on the cover in place of buttons.

11. aznkitten

aznkitten Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Thank you! I knew there was a connection with my case and this bugmailer annoyance. I wish there's a way to disable this hotkey. Even with a case with the holes cutout, I still accidentally press all buttons sometimes. But thanks for this info.

Tags: