1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Can someone please offer an explanation on nandroid?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by litobirdy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. litobirdy

litobirdy Well-Known Member

I"ve been trying to look but cant find a solid explanation. I know its supposed to back up your phone COMPLETELY, but how do you do it? i just downloaded the vzw galaxy nexus full nandroid but thats 170mbs. isnt that the size of a rom. I thought nandroid was a program and you back up the phone onto something?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Nandroid is used to make a backup of your phone as an image to be restored if you need to restore it in the future. It isn't a program instead it is built into custom recoveries.

I would guess you either downloaded a rom or an actual backup of someone's phone (maybe a stock backup)

3. chevyrado14

chevyrado14 Well-Known Member

You make a nandroid with clock work recovery. You must be rooted to do so. You can flash the nandroid you downloaded with clockwork also.

4. litobirdy

litobirdy Well-Known Member

i have made a back up in cwr, i guess it was a basic backup?
    Defintiely wasnt a FULL backup of everything because i restored it and some things didnt recover. Is it actually called nandroid in cwr? or is that a term android community made up?

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

A backup in CWM recovery should be a full backup of all your system apps and data, user apps and data, and cached files.

What wasn't restored with your backup?

NAND is the type of flash memory used in phones "roid" was added by devs to specify the process of making the backup is used by Android phones.

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You did a nandroid restore. Any chance the missing items were added after you made the backup b/c they of course wouldn't be included in the restore. You essentially took a snapshot of your phone at that time and everything on your phone at that moment should restore. The exceptions to that are the bootloader and radio which aren't included in the backup and can be flashed independently at any time. A nice combo is nandroid and titanium backup so you can also restore any newly loaded apps/app data since your nandroid was made. Provided that is, that you do regular Ti backups also. But it has an auto scheduler to make it easy.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews