1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] can't remove s3 encryption

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sashanx, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sashanx

sashanx Lurker

I have a Verizon galaxy s3 from Samsung and am running CyanogenMod 10.2.0 / android 4.3.1.

I recently decided to encrypt my phone and now am unable to make calls. My phone tells me to disable airplane mode and I don't even have it in airplane mode, and my Wi-Fi still works. How do I solve this problem?

How do I get rid of encryption? Factory reset did not work. Installing new Rom did not work as when the device restarts it asks for encryption password. I am okay with losing data.

Please help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

Welcome to the forums!!! :)

I moved your post over to the Verizon S3 all things root forum so you can get some help from folks with your phone.

Good luck and again welcome to the forums!! :)

Mikestony likes this.
  3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hello there sashanx!!

I'm surprised that a factory reset and a new rom flash did not help :hmmmm:

I did a brief search and saw multiple responses here and there about removing encryption, and most suggested a factory reset.
    However, in your case it didn't work. Upon further research, I ran across others using ODIN to to install a stock firmware. But doing this will unroot you, but, you can always re-root. ;)
    Whether that will 100% work for you, I am not sure.
    I suppose I would give it a shot unless someone else comes along here to offer a better alternative than losing root, then rerooting:)

sashanx likes this.
  4. sashanx

sashanx Lurker

Thanks, ODIN did work for me. Now I am upgraded to 4.3 and need to find a way to root.

5. sashanx

sashanx Lurker

I tried to root my phone using the previous method I used last year by noxius ninja. It however did not work. Since I was on 4.3, I wanted to go back to a previous version 4.1.2 using ODIN and soft bricked my phone. After various trial and errors, I was able to revive it. Now I have 4.3 stock, and using it is not that much fun. It is much slower than CM.

So my questiion is, what is the correct way to install a custom ROM on stock 4.3 verizon? I am looking at CM 10.2 as my rom of choice (I don't know if other roms are better.) Do I need to root, unlock bootloader and then install the new ROM? If I am wrong, please let me knonw the right procedure. Also, I don't know how to unlock the bootloader on 4.3.

Thanks.

6. jmharrison

jmharrison Lurker

As of now there isn't a way. I had the same problem and you can't go back to 4.1.2 either. So we are stuck with stock. I'm considering getting a new phone. One that's more frendly to root users.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews