• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Charges ??

N00B Moment

Nov 14, 2009
Hello all, I am currently a Sprint customer and I plan on droping my contract and paying the ETF fee in the next 2 weeks. Yes my Sprint service is THAT BAD!

My question is. . .

Does Verizon charge extra for navigation? I know on my Samsung Moment (POS I know) there is the Google Maps Navigation. I also have the Sprint Nav bloatware but it sucks. So if I used the Google Maps Version on Verizon, would I get extra fees on my phone bill?

I already know they charge extra for the wifi hot spot feature, that kinda sucks but im willing to pay it.

What other extras do they make ya pay for too? Right now I am planing on getting the DroidX and my girlfriend is prolly getting the Samsung Fascinate. Tell me anything I might need to know about Verizon, Thanks!

Google maps/navigation is just part of your data, there is no extra fee for it.
Do you have Google Voice? Since you are switching anyway you could port your current number to GV and get a new Verizon number...then you would not have to pay for texting and there would be no new number to give to friends. If you are getting a family plan or individual plans with Friends and Family you can really use GV to it's full advantage (with something like Google Voice Callback). If you don't go over your minutes anyway then it won't matter in the long run, it would just be like using your regular plan.
I love me some GV and you are in a great position to fully utilize the new porting option...as long as you don't mind not be able to port it back to your actual cell line (for now anyway).

Upvote 0
Hello all, I am currently a Sprint customer and I plan on droping my contract and paying the ETF fee in the next 2 weeks. Yes my Sprint service is THAT BAD!

My question is. . .

Does Verizon charge extra for navigation? I know on my Samsung Moment (POS I know) there is the Google Maps Navigation. I also have the Sprint Nav bloatware but it sucks. So if I used the Google Maps Version on Verizon, would I get extra fees on my phone bill?

I already know they charge extra for the wifi hot spot feature, that kinda sucks but im willing to pay it.

What other extras do they make ya pay for too? Right now I am planing on getting the DroidX and my girlfriend is prolly getting the Samsung Fascinate. Tell me anything I might need to know about Verizon, Thanks!

VZW tries to trick you into using VZNav (At $10 per month), but you can use Google Navigation for free + data plan charges (29.99/month unlimited, sorta)

Tethering is another one they hit you for, unless you are rooted.

Google maps/navigation is just part of your data, there is no extra fee for it.
Do you have Google Voice? Since you are switching anyway you could port your current number to GV and get a new Verizon number...then you would not have to pay for texting and there would be no new number to give to friends. If you are getting a family plan or individual plans with Friends and Family you can really use GV to it's full advantage (with something like Google Voice Callback). If you don't go over your minutes anyway then it won't matter in the long run, it would just be like using your regular plan.
I love me some GV and you are in a great position to fully utilize the new porting option...as long as you don't mind not be able to port it back to your actual cell line (for now anyway).

Do this. Google Voice, if nothing for not having to hand a new number out to everyone.

Upvote 0
VZW tries to trick you into using VZNav (At $10 per month), but you can use Google Navigation for free + data plan charges (29.99/month unlimited, sorta)

Tethering is another one they hit you for, unless you are rooted.

Do this. Google Voice, if nothing for not having to hand a new number out to everyone.

I dont really understand what Clementine was talking about with that one. I AM signed up with GV and all. Right now I am just planing on taking my regular number with me. Is there something about Verizon that wont let me do that? I ported my number from AT&T to Sprint. . . . I figured I could just move it on over to Verizon.

Upvote 0
I dont really understand what Clementine was talking about with that one. I AM signed up with GV and all. Right now I am just planing on taking my regular number with me. Is there something about Verizon that wont let me do that? I ported my number from AT&T to Sprint. . . . I figured I could just move it on over to Verizon.

You can port over to VZW, no problem, but if you port over to Google Voice (Which would terminate your Sprint service), you'll never have to worry about porting again: Just add the new phone number you get to Google Voice :)

Upvote 0
OK I just RE-read what was there. . . .

I get the part of porting my number to GV, and then getting free texts, but how does the minute free calls work?

Plus here in my area Verizon is offering free moblie to mobile on any network and the offer is going away after this month. so I dont see us getting hit with any overages or anything. We basicly have the same plan with Sprint and between 2 phones we dont use 200 mins a month, infact 200 mins is really high for us. Now that COULD be cause we are hardly ever able to get a call to connect and a lot of times we have to go outside and down the street to get signal, and when its COLD as hell outside sometimes the calls can wait. LOL

Upvote 0
If you don't use many minutes then you don't need to worry about using GV for free minutes. I do though, 5 lines and a few yakkers. LOL
It works like this though: add your GV number to your FF. Any incoming calls are now free. Get an app like GV Callback, it intercepts your outgoing calls and calls you back on your GV number, then connects the call. Now you have a free incoming call. It sounds worse than it is. But it seems you don't need that.
I was just thinking that by porting your number to GV you could have unlimited free texting through GV and would not have to add a texting plan or get the "talk and text" plan for mo' money.
What is this mobile to any mobile plan they are offering? Does it include texting or is that still an 'add on'? I haven't read anything about it and didn't know it was out there...

Upvote 0
You can get around the tethering subscription and use the native wi-fi hotspot feature for free without rooting. It's one of those situations where if you're a heavy user, your best subscribing, but if you want it for occasional convenience and you'll never hit your data plan up by any noticable amount whatsoever, it can be done without worry. I love having the convenience of tethering freely when I'm in a jam and need to, especially since it's not for anything data intensive anyway. Seems silly to pay extra if it's just noise on my monthly data usage.

Upvote 0
OK I just RE-read what was there. . . .

I get the part of porting my number to GV, and then getting free texts, but how does the minute free calls work?

Plus here in my area Verizon is offering free moblie to mobile on any network and the offer is going away after this month. so I dont see us getting hit with any overages or anything. We basicly have the same plan with Sprint and between 2 phones we dont use 200 mins a month, infact 200 mins is really high for us. Now that COULD be cause we are hardly ever able to get a call to connect and a lot of times we have to go outside and down the street to get signal, and when its COLD as hell outside sometimes the calls can wait. LOL

i too would like to know about this free mobile to mobile offer

Upvote 0
For parts of Central Texas and Louisiana, there is a set of promotional "Mobile to any Mobile" plans. They include normal minute allowances as standard Nationwide plans at the same rates. But, their minute allowance is for landline calls only. They also still have Friends and Family at the 900 minute level and above on single lines and the 1400 minute level on family share plans. IIRC, there are only Talk & Text versions.

To get the plan, you have to have a phone number whose area code is within the promotional area. When you call Customer Service, it should show right up as available on your account. Please note, for Family Share plans, all lines in the plan must be in a promotional area code.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones