• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Clear Cache in VZW Rooted Note 3

recDNA

Android Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2010
My note 3 is rooted using safestrap because the bootloader is locked. Is there an app that will clear system cache? I don't mean app cache. I mean doing the same thing as going into recovery to clear cache but without the hassle of going into recovery? Thanks

Upvote 0
If you're talking just about /data/dalvik-cache, then here's my thoughts:

1. Running apps have their .dex files open, so if you wanted to delete everything, you'd have to explicitly stop those processes (which brings it own issues to deal with)

2. I'm sure you could delete the non-open .dex files, but the question is, what happens if you delete a .dex file and then try to invoke (start) an app whose .dex file has just (unexpectedly) been deleted? :dontknow: Android will, of course, build the .dex files when rebooting or installing an app, but not sure what'll happen (will Android just rebuild it on-the-fly? not sure...I might try this on an old device to see :p)

Anyway, it's an interesting question, for sure :).

(note/disclaimer: I'm not a Note 3 user/owner)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones