• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Contract Question

knitpurlgurl

Android Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2010
www.knitpurlgurl.com
If I am eligible for an upgrade (I'm at the 20 month point of the 24 month contract), do I have to get my upgrade from Verizon to sign another 2 yr contract if I do it before the end of 24 months? Or can I still sign a new 2 yr with any phone retailer even though it's been 20 months?

Does this make sense?

For instance: VerizonWireless says I'll be eligible for upgrade 9/6 but really my contract ends 1/6. Moto Bionic showed up on Amazon for $149 - STILL considerably cheaper than with my upgrade disc. from Verizon. Can I buy the phone from Amazon and renew my 2 yr contract or do I have to do it through verizon until 1/6/12?

Last time I checked, the early upgrade is through Verizon only as an incentive sort of thing. The way I see it, this is Verizon's way of trying to get money out of impatient customers.

Back in March when I was last eligible for upgrade, I was pricing out the Droid X. VZW would sell me the phone for $150 with a contract renewal while Wirefly had it for $80 but I couldn't get it through Wirefly until the full contact period was over. Ended up working out cause they had one of those one day sales and I got the X for $20.

I could be wrong but this was just my experience.

Reactions: knitpurlgurl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones