1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Crazy Unrooting Issues!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by z71kevin, Oct 29, 2014.

1. z71kevin

z71kevin Lurker

Hey guys,

Was hoping for some help! I'm simply trying to unroot my phone for a warranty return but I did a factory data reset first not knowing any better and may screwed things up.

Do I still need to manually delete the SU files from the system/xbin folder on my phone if I'm flashing back to the stock ROM via Odin?

I have a Galaxy S4, Verizon SCH-1545 running 4.4.2.

This may be all due to the factory data reset. It deleted all my apps including Super SU. I reinstalled Super SU but it won't open, I only get the message "there is no SU binary installed and Super SU cannot install it"
    ES File Explorer tells me the SU file cannot be deleted, so I'm at a loss on how to remove it.

Also per the Root Checker app I currently do not have root access after the factory data reset, but it's still showing SU in the system/xbin folder.

FYI Triangle Away will not run either, I can't even restore the binary count to 0. I don't think I ever installed a custom ROM but it would be nice to check and make sure

I'm guessing all these issues are due to a factory data reset I did to fix my WiFi antenna...

So I'm really wondering if a stock ROM flash will fix everything, or is there something else I need to do too?

Thanks for helping a noob :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Welcome to our AndroidForums, Kevin!

I've moved your thread over to the VZW all-things-root area for the SGS4 for you.

If you've unrooted (or otherwise lost root), you will not be able to remove the su binary from the /system partition because you can no longer remount /system in read-write mode to remove it.

However, it may be that you simply removed the SuperSU app that works with the su binary to give you root (a factory reset shouldn't be touching the /system partition where the su binary lives).

Try re-installing SuperSU from the Play Store and see if that gives you root back.

Unrooting is actually a bit tricky since you have to be very careful about what order you remove things in.

Anyway, the good folks in the SGS4 VZW root area should also be able to help you out (I don't have the S4 so I can't guide you on any re-flashing via Odin, etc.).

Cheers and best of luck!

3. z71kevin

z71kevin Lurker

Thanks for the reply!

When I did the factory data reset I lost all my apps, including Super SU. It was when I reinstalled it after the reset and tried to open it that I get the message "there is no SU binary installed and Super SU cannot install it" and the app shuts down.

I followed your suggestion and uninstalled SuperSU, rebooted and reinstalled but I'm still getting the same message.

Upon further review I don't believe that I ever installed a custom ROM, so I'm not too worried that Triangle Away isn't working.

However with SuperSU not working at all and ES File Explorer not allowing me to delete the SU file in my system/xbin folder, how do I delete all traces of rooting? I have to send my back to Verizon for a warranty return.

Is flashing the stock ROM via Odin my best option at this point to remove all traces of root?

Thanks!

4. z71kevin

z71kevin Lurker

Problem Solved

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Glad you figured out a solution, Kevin! :) :thumbup:

So what did you end-up doing? (for the benefit of others that might also have your same issue).

Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews