1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] CWM Recovery Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 335iRobot, Dec 27, 2011.

1. 335iRobot

335iRobot Newbie

Anytime I try to go into CWM, I get the dead droid with the red exclamation coming from it's chest.

I read here: Wallet/Red Exclamation Marks/Failed Reset - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Others are having the issue, so I looked and installed Root Explorer, and found the file that I need to rename, but.. I CANT RENAME IT! And I've looked everywhere in Root Explorer as to how to get permission to rename the file and I can't locate it anywhere. I don't have a setting for permissions or anything.

ANYONE HELP!? :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

The button you are looking for is located towards the top of the screen in RE it says "Mount as R/W" or something close to that. Below is a market screen shot and I am sure it is dated. Once you mount as R/W you should be able to rename the file without issue. You will need to navigate to the folder before changing to R/W.

[​IMG]

3. 335iRobot

335iRobot Newbie

Ah, yea.. but I don't have this button.. :\

[​IMG]

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

On my nexus it is in about the same spot but dark with light letters. Are you using the paid root explorer? If so you should have it. I believe the same company makes a free file explorer that doesn't include root functions.

You should also be able to use some other file explorers to do it but I am not too familiar with what others allow you to change the file system to r/w.

5. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert

This worked for me, thanks to the OP for linking to the source. I have root explorer and mine looks like the image that Yeahha posted. Try long pressing on the file that needs to be renamed and rename should be an option for you.

6. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

if you can't find the option with root explorer (although i could), ES file explorer will also let you read/write to protected folders if you are rooted... and it's free.

ES File Explorer | Android Market

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

8. 335iRobot

335iRobot Newbie

9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

I just replied with this post (http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/465995-important-cwr-issue-easy-fix.html#post3723283) about how to manually remount /system as read-write via an adb shell mount command.

By the way, to get ES File Explorer to remount /system as read-write is done via this:

- download / install / open-launch ES File Explorer
    - press the menu
    - select Settings (bottom row, middle cell)
    - scroll all the way to the bottom of the options
    - look for the "Root settings" section
    - check "Root Explorer" and acknowledge the "Experimental Feature" warning
    - check the "Mount File System" (Mount /, /system as writable) checkbox

That should allow you to now navigate in any file explorer or rename the file manually via and adb shell or an on-phone Terminal until you either reboot or remount /system as read-only.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

SolidOrange and Yeahha like this.
  10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I would hate my life without root explorer paid version. Use it all the time.

11. 335iRobot

335iRobot Newbie

Still no go with ES. Doesnt even show system folder. Followed your steps too.

12. scary alien

VIP Member

Oh, yeah...I forgot that there's a trick to ES File Explorer (or I don't know how to use it right, but I know how to get where I need to go, LOL).

Go back into the same Settings menu, select "Home Directory" and enter "/" in there...

Then, you can exit the menu (press the back button once), you'll be able to navigate "Up" one directly level to the root / top level (i.e., "/") and then navigate to /system from there, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

13. SecondShot

SecondShot Android Enthusiast

Yes, ES File Explorer by default starts you at the /sdcard folder, and therefore you won't see the system file.

option 1) Hit the favorites button (upper left) and select the icon of the phone with the slash. Then you will see all the root folders. This is useful if you use SDCARD mostly and not the root folders.

Option 2) if you go to 'system' folder alot, you will want to go in and change the default home folder to the "/" folder. Select settings(three dots)>settings>Home Directory then delete contents and add /. While you are in there, scroll all the way down and make sure the last two selections are checked...mount and root explorer. Now you are all set.

To test, back out all the way, and restart ES file explorer. Should see all your root files.

SolidOrange and scary alien like this.
  14. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

i have cwr permanently installed on my nexus. i followed bouchigo's method, and a method over at xda, however if i ever need stock recovery i may be in trouble :p

scary alien likes this.
  15. scary alien

VIP Member

VS,

I've been trying to find a referenced thread by Bo re. that...can you link either or both of those methods (I'm more curious than anything...).

Thank you!

16. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

You could always install a terminal emulator and busybox and do it manually.
    The command line is my preferred method.

17. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

he sent it to me via email, so pm me with yours and i will send it to you as well.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews