1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] CWMR or TWRP?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Mar 21, 2013.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    If you were picking a recovery today, which would you pick? I have been on TWRP for a long time now, but after seeing people posting issues with JBSourcery 5.1 and it being related to TWRP just thinking it might be time to give CWMR another chance. So, just trying to decide whether to switch back or stay.

A couple of things I really like about TWRP is that it shows you your battery life percentage and allows you to name a backup file before you make the backup. CWMR does not, unless they have added these features in a newer version.

Advertisement

2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I use TWRP and haven't a problem with it. I've used it on 4 different devices (Gnex, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, GS3) and never once had a problem with it. Occam's razor says everything regarding the Sourcery situation. ;)

darkcyber likes this.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Rom Manager is now compatible with both CWR and TWR. Therefore custom naming of backups can be done with RM irregardless of recovery, but some 'symbols' will cause a hang if using TWR, i.e. I have always like to prefix my backup with [ROM name]~[default date] intact. TWR does not like "~". So with TWR I just use "-" instead.

Just throwing out my tiny experience, but I am still on JBS 3.2 an Android 4.1.2 based rom.

4. SweatyPits

None

May 20, 2012
    don't let sourcery devs turn you away from twrp. They were trying to blame their rom re boots on it, now they're blaming Verizon's radio's for the re boots. whatever. never had reboots with any other 422 Rom except sourcery. twrp works great.

cwm blows, use twrp.

5. viper689

viper689 Android Expert
    None

Jan 25, 2012
    Male
    Student
    Irvine, CA
    +1 for twrp. I respect all devs, but if every single rom, except one, works perfectly with twrp, then I don't see how that's a recovery issue

6. joesixpack

joesixpack Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 25, 2012
    Male
    Northeast OH
    I have JBS and TWRP on my phone and it works fine. Just wiped the crap out of it before flashing the ROM. I've heard the beef with TWRP is that it doesn't wipe as well as CWM. I think if you do multiple wipes or use Superwipe before flashing you'll be fine.

Just my $0.02...

7. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm using TWRP as well, and no issues with sorcery so far. I wonder if the problem is occurring for folks who are using TWRP from pre 4.2 ROMs and switching between pre and post 4.2 ROMs (file structure layout change may cause issues I guess?)

8. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Statesville NC
    The issue with TWRPs i that if you don't do a factory reset, the data/data partition isn't erased. That is what causes issues.

I always do a factory reset and thus never had issues

9. joesixpack

joesixpack Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 25, 2012
    Male
    Northeast OH
    I always do a factory reset, cache wipe and Dalvik cache wipe. Took your advice a long time ago about not dirty-flashing!

10. TexDaddy57

TexDaddy57 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Male
    Water Treatment Plant Operator, Owner/Culinary Art
    Somewhere north of Azle Texas
    Interesting, I always wipe Dalvik, cache & factory reset Then stack super wipe, ROM n gapps and swipe to flash. Still had issues. Maybe my twrp wasnt the latest. Im not sure but willing to try again...

11. TexDaddy57

TexDaddy57 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Male
    Water Treatment Plant Operator, Owner/Culinary Art
    Somewhere north of Azle Texas
    When I was on JBS 3.2 my phone was "bullet proof". Every 4.2 based rom I have tried (all on this forum) I have had issues. Some just announces others major issues. I'm on AK47 at the moment, so far its the most stable (from me, your milage will vary) so far.
    My question is what problems will I hit flashing back to Sorcery 3.2? I have a nandro of it, but also have the download and gapps on my pc. Restore? or flash new?

12. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    TexDaddy57 likes this.
  13. Steven58

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    New Jersey, US of A
    This is just the kind of uninformed advice that gets folks, who follow it, in trouble, sadly. The truth is what T-Dev said. If you use TWRP and don't do a factory/dad reset, you're stuck with old stuff that will conflict with new stuff.

I'm a proud member of Team Sourcery and I DO NOT recommend people turn away from TWRP. I, like you, like TWRP. So, what I've done is link super wipe in the IRC channel topic, specifically for folks who, like myself, prefer TWRP. I always flash super wipe BEFORE flashing any latest Sourcery ROM or any ROM for that matter. In fact, I strongly recommend Super Wipe for whatever recovery folks use.

Here's the link: Super_Wipe_Galaxy_Nexus.zip

Cheers!
    Steven

paleodust, D-U-R-X, teddyearp and 2 others like this.
  14. millerthyme59

millerthyme59 Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2013
    Male
    Wow,i don't think cwm blows.kinda harsh...

Kinda harsh on cwm:thinking:

teddyearp likes this.
  15. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I think the non-touch version does.... :D

16. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I can see two uses for the non touch version. On smaller screen devices where using touch could get troublesome, or on a device with a broken screen. Not many, but still some.

17. bigbear6708

bigbear6708 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 11, 2012
    I've never had reboots on any ROM I've tried. Sourcery, cna, aokp, cm..any of them. Just wipe clean and ur good

18. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Just in case, AK47 does not include any radios.

19. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA
    Something I know about both recoveries, specific to nexus devices, is that there can be problems with flashing 4.2.x ROMs while using an outdated version of either. Also, not wiping properly may lead to issues as well. Restoring certain data using Titanium Backup may cause issues. Even overclocking and undervolting the kernel may cause instabilities.

While I can't speak for the Devs behind each recovery, I do know that when bugs in the recoveries occur, these bugs are dealt with, usually quickly.

YMMV

Here's a great thread which has helped me to understand how to reduce hastles: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5585310

teddyearp likes this.
  20. eagle1967

eagle1967 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2010

Listen. dont spread incomplete statements or rumors.

We stated we reproduced twrp installs causing issues that the same users who switched to cwm did not have.

we also came out further that after research we found that data/data is not wiped on twrp unless you do a factory reset and we believe that may be the problem.

so we asked twrp users to do that in the future.

we have 2 members of the team that use twrp exclusively and never had a problem and we believe it was the factroy reset not being done that caused the problem.

We also havehad a few users that had issues with teh rom with the new radios. I myself didnt upgrade to the new radios and dont see any issues so we suggest they return to the other radios.

do you have a problem with a rom team that actually tries to help its users when they have problems.

I have no problem stating when i screw something up.
    such as the clock colors in deskclock not changing. that was me i missed putting in a part when i was updating the app.

fc of brightness in tablet mode my coding mistake we fixed it.

reboots back on 4.0 my mistake on lockscreens

reboots on 5.0
    believe it was the kernel or the mms app our roms problem no one else.

along with many other things. when there is a 3rd party app involved that people have issues with that we cant reproduce than we have to get rid of the 3rd party first to determine the cause.

We dont appreciate your continued assault on sourcery. anyone that really wants to know what were about give it a run and post problems in our forums and youll see that our responses are soley basd on the attempt for us to help the user with their particular problmes at the time.

PITS: your continued assualt on sourcery is pathetic..DONT USE THE ROM.
    that will fix all your issues.

For anyone else reading this. Use the factory reset on twrp and we believe any issues we were seeing with it would be resolved.

sorry we didnt state that the first thing but we only have the knowledge we have at the time. and we continue to address it .

we did this with titanium also but never could come with a happy medium on this we have many that use it and have no problems and those that say they used it the same way and have problems and we have 100's of posts stating the issue went away when they didnt use it. so thats why we dont support its use.

reboots happen to be one of the things that it can cause.

New radios people have seen issues others havent. we suggest old radios on sourcery as the issues dont seem to be their with the old radios that they were seeing ,
    We only talk and run sourcery.
    we didnt say the new radios are bad or anything else
    we stated we have seen some people stae problems with the new radios on sourcery.
    we are supporting sourcery so we suggest that you dont use the new radios.
    no whre here have we stated what was at fault or who was at fault. only that sourcery appears to work better with the old radios. PERIOD!

Anyone that has any wondering on this please go to our thread anbd read pits posts for last 6 months and i believe youll see the light on this post!

Steven58 likes this.
  21. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Thread cleaned.

Please let's not descend in to name calling :)

teddyearp, colchiro, Steven58 and 3 others like this.
  22. SweatyPits

None

May 20, 2012
    well it works great with the new radios lol

how does it not include the new radios? all i did was flash Rom and gapps

23. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Radios, bootloaders, and recovery partition files are generally left out of roms to help reduce problems. Usually when flashing a rom on the Gnex, all you're flashing is the System, the kernel, and Google Apps.

teddyearp and jmar like this.
  24. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA
    Radios are flashed separately through recovery or bootloader depending on user preference. Radios will persist though any flash of a ROM. :)

Edit: Hawk Ninja'd! :D:rolleyes:

25. SweatyPits

None

May 20, 2012
    ahhh yeah i did flash the new radios a few roms back lol

thanks!

jmar likes this.
Tags: