• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Data radio evaluation

I do not think it will be apples to apples, though do see the need to "know". That said, the same thing happened with the S3 (I started that thread last year) and it was inconclusive compared to the S2. Just as many said it was better, same and some said worse. I found data radio reception with the S3 overall weaker than previous devices on VZW, but not enough to not LUV the device. Call range was as good as my other devices, so calls and texts were fine. THAT to me matters the most.

Upvote 0
I'm on Verizon and waiting on the S4. Want to know how the data radios are on the phones that have been released? I know Samsung isn't known for their strong radios, I know my Gnex is less than spectacular.

As a fellow GNEX owner, I want to know the exact same thing. Actually, if it wasn't for the crappy radios, I wouldn't be looking forward to an upgrade.
In so many places, I get no signal while others around me (S3, Apple, even my wifes OG Droid Incredible) all get signals.

It's not an easy thing to review though. Everyone is on different towers with different geographic challenges to contend with. There really is no way for an apples to apples comparison.

Though I haven't seen too many complaint threads (like I did when the GNEX came out). I'll continue watching but would love some feedback from owners.

Upvote 0
I don't think I have enough data to make a definitive statement but I do suspect that this is a bit of an issue for me.

I am on the Three network in the UK. I used to use a Three wireless modem and that worked really well. I decided to cancel that as I have unlimited data on my S4 and I can still use it as a wireless access point. Unfortunately, it struggles for reception in situations where my Huawei E565 worked fine.

Reactions: veccster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones