• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Dead Phone

jmill75

Nov 8, 2009
Not sure what I did wrong, been loading Roms for years. Got the phone yesterday, came home and rooted it. Next I unlocked the bootloader. Then I downloaded CWM Rom manager, did a backup and went in to recovery. Flashed the jelly bean rom and it started to load the boot animation like it was booting up. Screen went dark and now i cannot even power on the device or get into recovery. Battery was fully charged so that is not the problem. What the heck do i do from here. Thanks

sounds like it might be time to rehearse this in a real distraught voice

"I don't really know what happened, it just shut off and started to reboot and then the screen went black. Now it won't turn back on."

1. you said you used "CWM ROM Manager." these are two VERY different programs...exactly how did you go about flashing the ROM

2. what do you mean by "Jelly Bean" ROM...where did you get it?

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that he meant he installed RM and flashed CWM recovery from it since he then went into recovery and backed up his current rom. But I could be wrong. Nonetheless, he should still be able to power the device up no matter what he did.

after seeing someone on rootz dd the casual unlock tool using terminal emulator instead of the unencrypted aboot and overwrite his aboot.img with a executable jar file...i try not to assume

Upvote 0
Which jelly bean rom did you flash? was it official or unofficial? You are probably going to need to get a new device but...What i believe you did was flash the newest CWM 6.0.1.2 which is none KEXEC and you flashed a KEXEC rom and kernel. But in the end you need to be more specific about the steps you did to get where you are. If I'm reading correctly you used rom manager, flashed CWM, did a backup with rom manager, booted into recovery, and flashed a jelly bean rom? none of these steps would brick your phone besides using the CWM from rom manager and flashing a KEXEC rom. I think a lot of people are going to do this now that theres a new CWM, people want it so they will flash it but then try using a KEXEC rom, which wont work. as they stated try getting into download mode, "hold volume down, home, and power button". follow the steps in my next post if you can get into download mode:

Upvote 0
How to get back to stock from any rom or recovery from a soft brick

Step 1: Download and install these files to pc:
Odin- http://samsung-updates.com/Odin307.zip
Samsung Driver- http://tinyw.in/Fdoz

Step 2: Download one of these Factory STOCK Bloated 4.0.4 roms and the stock kernel to your pc:
VRALF2- http://bit.ly/Pp1Kdb (you will need to unzip these to extract the .tar file)
VRALG1(Latest)- Goo.im Downloads - Browsing C...w_ship.tar.zip(Don\'t forget to thank Invisiblek!!)
Stock VRALF2 Kernel- http://samsung-updates.com/kernel/Sa...LF2_Kernel.zip

Step 3: Power device off, then hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "download mode"

Step 4: Open Odin and connect the oem usb cable to pc & device, you should see a "comport #" in upper left hand corner of odin

Step 5: Uncheck auto reboot

Step 6: Click on the PDA function of odin and select the Stock ROM you downloaded in step 2. Should take roughly 8min, then odin will say pass/reset

Step 7: Click on the PDA function of odin and select the Stock Kernel you downloaded in step 2. Should take less than a minute, then odin will say pass/reset

Step 7: Disconnect usb cable, then pull and reinsert the battery

Step 8: Press and hold the volume up/home/power keys until you see a green android, you should boot into stock recovery

Step 9: Wipe data/factory reset

Step 10: Reboot! (You should now be booted into factory stock, locked, and bloated ICS 4.0.4)

*If your internal memory(EMMC) is corrupted and my method above wont recovery your device, try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post30477064

Upvote 0
That won't work if he can't even power on into download mode.

Try pulling the battery and reinstalling it and leave it on the charger OFF for a while (hour or so) and try powering on in download mode whilst still plugged in. If it gets there, then I recommend Odin flashing stock per sticky above, Method 2 rooting.

It does help to detail everything exactly what you did/saw prior to the black screen [of doom].
First law of maintenance: Trust No-one. Second law: Never assume anything. Transitory theorem: never trust anyone making assumptions.

Upvote 0
Which jelly bean rom did you flash? was it official or unofficial? You are probably going to need to get a new device but...What i believe you did was flash the newest CWM 6.0.1.2 which is none KEXEC and you flashed a KEXEC rom and kernel. But in the end you need to be more specific about the steps you did to get where you are. If I'm reading correctly you used rom manager, flashed CWM, did a backup with rom manager, booted into recovery, and flashed a jelly bean rom? none of these steps would brick your phone besides using the CWM from rom manager and flashing a KEXEC rom. I think a lot of people are going to do this now that theres a new CWM, people want it so they will flash it but then try using a KEXEC rom, which wont work. as they stated try getting into download mode, "hold volume down, home, and power button". follow the steps in my next post if you can get into download mode:

you sure 6.0.1.2 doesnt support kexec? 6.0.1.0 did...not sure why the new one wouldn't...but i could be wrong

Upvote 0
I havent looked into it in detail but yeah im pretty sure CWM 6.0.1.2 doesnt support KEXEC. I have tried it with a few roms and cant get any to load. the only way I got back was to flash official cyan jelly bean and reflash back to CWM 6.0.1.0. With the bootloader unlocked we dont got much need for KEXEC anymore so they are making the transition i believe. Maybe Im wrong though....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones