1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon Deletes Hotspot Feature From Motorola Droid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by archer, Aug 3, 2010.

1. archer

archer Newbie

From "InformationWeek"..

Verizon Wireless promised to deliver the Android 2.2 Froyo update to the Motorola Droid starting "this week." The update hasn't started rolling out yet, but InformationWeek has already learned some disappointing news about it. According to Verizon Wireless, two of the biggest features being introduced by Android 2.2 Froyo won't be included in the Droid update: tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot creation.

It is possible that Verizon Wireless is purposely leaving these features out of the Droid to entice customers to buy the Droid X (which offers hotspot creation) or the unannounced but imminent Droid 2. If that's the case, it is a low move and leaves Droid owners -- Verizon's first Android adopters -- hanging in the wind.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Android Enthusiast

I am sure if people on this forum read that post, they wont really care cause they have had 2.2 for ever now, along with WiFi.

3. edgeman4

edgeman4 Member

Well, the original droid is probably the most open Verizon phone out there, and I know people are already using their own version of Froyo on it. Those who don't know, won't care, those who do know, will have already enabled these features.

I agree it is a low blow, but I assume Verizon wants to stop supporting these in favor of the Droid 2. Who would upgrade if their original Droids had the same features?

4. snookie

snookie Newbie

Welcome to Verizon. Old habits dies hard.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews