• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon double charging for Data?

detroid

Nov 23, 2009
Detroit
So, I am on the VWZ site pricing out 2 Moto Droids with a "Nationwide Connect Family Share Plan 1400", which is 1400 minutes, unlimited txt/vid/pic messaging, and unlimited data for $139. After I select this plan and select my phones it then puts me at a screen where I am forced to choose between $45 "unlimited data usage" or $30 "email and web for smartphone". I cannot advance from this screen without selecting one of these options and I have to select one of the options for each phone, which would mean an additional $90 on my bill for the unlimited option.

If "unlimited data" is included in the nationwide family share 1400 plan why am I being forced to buy another 2 data plans on top of it?

I can swallow $140 for unlimited everything + 1400 mins for 2 droids, but not $230!!!

Help?

The $30 email and web for smartphone is needed with all smart phones, but because o fthis you do not need to get the Connest Plan ... you can get the Select plan which includes the minutes and unlimited text (and does not incluse the data which will be covered by the smartphone plan).

Wow, just re-read that ... looks like a 3rd grader typed it :eek:

Upvote 0
To cover themselves - typically a person that is going to be using their laptop through their 3G connection will not be visiting mobile-optimized websites. Thus, the data transfer for tethering will be a much greater pull (typically) than for a normal smart phone device.

It makes sense, practically, even if it doesn't financially from our perspectives.

Upvote 0
So, I am on the VWZ site pricing out 2 Moto Droids with a "Nationwide Connect Family Share Plan 1400", which is 1400 minutes, unlimited txt/vid/pic messaging, and unlimited data for $139. After I select this plan and select my phones it then puts me at a screen where I am forced to choose between $45 "unlimited data usage" or $30 "email and web for smartphone". I cannot advance from this screen without selecting one of these options and I have to select one of the options for each phone, which would mean an additional $90 on my bill for the unlimited option.

If "unlimited data" is included in the nationwide family share 1400 plan why am I being forced to buy another 2 data plans on top of it?

I can swallow $140 for unlimited everything + 1400 mins for 2 droids, but not $230!!!

Help?

I have a similar problem. I have been keeping a close eye on my bill this 1st cycle to keep from getting burned, until i know what to expect per month. Here is my plan i currently have, i have the droid + a cheap samsung phone on a family plan with unlimited data on the droid. I checked the bill to find out that i was getting charged the $45 plan for data. I called customer service, and asked them why i was being charged the 45 plan and not the 30 plan. The rep said that somehow the $45 plan got set as the default, and that he could switch me to the $30 plan no problem. Well that was last week, and i checked my bill today, and it is showing me being charged for 2 seprate data plans!:eek: Now i gotta call them back and fight like hell to get that extra data plan off my bill, when i picked the 30 plan from the start:mad: And the bad thing is, i can't go to our local store, cause every employee they have is the biggest dickhead you will ever meet.:mad:

Upvote 0
Well that was last week, and i checked my bill today, and it is showing me being charged for 2 seprate data plans!:eek: Now i gotta call them back and fight like hell to get that extra data plan off my bill, when i picked the 30 plan from the start:mad:

It's pretty darn near impossible for the VZW billing system to charge you for two data plans on one line. What you're probably seeing is a credit from when you called customer service, they probably changed your plan that day, so you should see a line crediting the balance of that month for the $45 feature and charging the same time for the $30 feature. And if the rep you originally spoke with was doing their job, you will see a follow up credit online after the bill generated so he/she could credit the difference between the two plans for the time you were on the wrong one. If there was truly an error, you'll never have to fight like hell. Most VZW CS reps are reasonable people and intelligent enough to see if something is wrong (*note... I say "most," so people - please don't hijack this thread telling us about the moron you got one time! It can happen in any company!).

Upvote 0
It's pretty darn near impossible for the VZW billing system to charge you for two data plans on one line. What you're probably seeing is a credit from when you called customer service, they probably changed your plan that day, so you should see a line crediting the balance of that month for the $45 feature and charging the same time for the $30 feature. And if the rep you originally spoke with was doing their job, you will see a follow up credit online after the bill generated so he/she could credit the difference between the two plans for the time you were on the wrong one. If there was truly an error, you'll never have to fight like hell. Most VZW CS reps are reasonable people and intelligent enough to see if something is wrong (*note... I say "most," so people - please don't hijack this thread telling us about the moron you got one time! It can happen in any company!).

Im just extremely on edge when i deal with them over things like that. I got ripped off for $1500 back in 06 by verizon, and i have a hard time trusting them.

Upvote 0
:eek: That sounds awful! Did you call them and get the data plan solved?
Yes and no, there was an error in my account, that was double billing me for the higher data package. After the error was fixed my bill still isn't as low as i was expecting:thinking: I was expecting the bill to drop down to somewhere between 100 and 110. But it ended up being 125, which is better than the 165.

Let me clarify on that 1500 dollar bill i got a few years ago. It happened right when unlimited mobile to mobile came out on verizon. I had a plan with bout 1000 minutes on it at the time. I seen the commercials touting the new mobile to mobile unlimited calling, and just assumed that i automatically got that on my plan. I blew my phone over the course of a month, and when i got my bill it was for $700! I freaked out and went down to the store, to see what the hell was going on and i was told i had to pay it! So i coughed up the 700, and low an behold the next bill was for 900! It was more than i could pay at once so i started paying 300 every two weeks, to pay the bill off. I was late on the last bill, and was with in 100 dollars of paying off the bill, and they suspended my cell service!:mad: I just paid them around 1400 dollars over the course of a month, and they cut my phone off because i owed them 100!:mad: I took an old phone with me back to the store, and gave them one last bitching out, and i was extremely loud so everyone could hear me and as i went out the door, i spiked that old phone on the ground into a million pieces:D You should have seen the look on peoples faces it was worth destroying that old phone:p I probaly should have gotten a lawyer an fought that bill, but i would have spent that much on lawyer fees.

Upvote 0
Yes and no, there was an error in my account, that was double billing me for the higher data package. After the error was fixed my bill still isn't as low as i was expecting:thinking: I was expecting the bill to drop down to somewhere between 100 and 110. But it ended up being 125, which is better than the 165.

Let me clarify on that 1500 dollar bill i got a few years ago. It happened right when unlimited mobile to mobile came out on verizon. I had a plan with bout 1000 minutes on it at the time. I seen the commercials touting the new mobile to mobile unlimited calling, and just assumed that i automatically got that on my plan. I blew my phone over the course of a month, and when i got my bill it was for $700! I freaked out and went down to the store, to see what the hell was going on and i was told i had to pay it! So i coughed up the 700, and low an behold the next bill was for 900! It was more than i could pay at once so i started paying 300 every two weeks, to pay the bill off. I was late on the last bill, and was with in 100 dollars of paying off the bill, and they suspended my cell service!:mad: I just paid them around 1400 dollars over the course of a month, and they cut my phone off because i owed them 100!:mad: I took an old phone with me back to the store, and gave them one last bitching out, and i was extremely loud so everyone could hear me and as i went out the door, i spiked that old phone on the ground into a million pieces:D You should have seen the look on peoples faces it was worth destroying that old phone:p I probaly should have gotten a lawyer an fought that bill, but i would have spent that much on lawyer fees.

So, what really happened is:
1. You assumed that because something was advertised you automatically had it.
2. After realizing your own ineptitude you went to the store and complained about it and they told you that you are out of luck.
3. You then still do not request to change your plan but continue your previous mode of usage, thus resulting in-once again, another high bill=your own fault.
4. You go into a store, where the people who are there get paid about $10 an hour and have absolutely nothing to do with your problem, and beyond that have absolutely no power over the billing system (those would be the people working for customer care, you know, that 1-800 you call for BILLING PROBLEMS)

I'm sorry but you brought that whole thing upon yourself for lack of knowledge and being unaware of what your plan was. If you want to be mad about it, you should have probably smashed that phone into your own forehead. But hey, nice story...too bad its all your own fault. Don't be mad at VZW for requiring you to be self aware.

Not trying to be a smartass or anything but seriously, I really hate it when people go off on a company when its their own damn fault.

Upvote 0
So, what really happened is:
1. You assumed that because something was advertised you automatically had it.
2. After realizing your own ineptitude you went to the store and complained about it and they told you that you are out of luck.
3. You then still do not request to change your plan but continue your previous mode of usage, thus resulting in-once again, another high bill=your own fault.
4. You go into a store, where the people who are there get paid about $10 an hour and have absolutely nothing to do with your problem, and beyond that have absolutely no power over the billing system (those would be the people working for customer care, you know, that 1-800 you call for BILLING PROBLEMS)

I'm sorry but you brought that whole thing upon yourself for lack of knowledge and being unaware of what your plan was. If you want to be mad about it, you should have probably smashed that phone into your own forehead. But hey, nice story...too bad its all your own fault. Don't be mad at VZW for requiring you to be self aware.

Not trying to be a smartass or anything but seriously, I really hate it when people go off on a company when its their own damn fault.

Amen! Could have not said it better myself

Upvote 0
The OP should've checked to see if mobile to mobile was available on his/her plan but there's no reason to be hateful to a forum member. We all make mistakes and the customer was making an effort to pay the bills.

I had to call cs as well when I tried placing an order online. There was no option to select the 30 dollar data plan. The $44.99 was automatically added and I was told the higher priced plan was for business customers. Maybe VZW thinks some of us wont notice the extra charge on the bill or maybe there's an error on their site? Who knows?

CS is pretty good on the phone but it's terrible at my local store.

Upvote 0
The OP should've checked to see if mobile to mobile was available on his/her plan but there's no reason to be hateful to a forum member. We all make mistakes and the customer was making an effort to pay the bills.

I had to call cs as well when I tried placing an order online. There was no option to select the 30 dollar data plan. The $44.99 was automatically added and I was told the higher priced plan was for business customers. Maybe VZW thinks some of us wont notice the extra charge on the bill or maybe there's an error on their site? Who knows?

CS is pretty good on the phone but it's terrible at my local store.
We all can't be perfect like sbstiguy you know. Also i forgot to include one other piece of important info. I called VZW customer service (between my 2 visits instore) and asked them about it over the phone and they told me i was covered, and not to worry about it. Thats why i went so balistic over the whole deal. I was lied to over the phone by the CS rep!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones