1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Driver issue is kicking my butt!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SBCT, Dec 30, 2011.

1. SBCT

SBCT Member

Well my Verizon Galaxy Nexus finally showed up in the mail today so I figured its time to get to work!

I am having driver issues that quite a few people seem to have. I have tried the naked driver, the driver off the samsung website, pda net driver and I get the same error with all of them. I have the exclamation point in device manager and it says "device cannot start". Same problem with all three different drivers. I even tried on my laptop worried an old driver was stuck in there and on my laptop fresh driver install I get same "device cannot start".

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

EDIT: Maybe I should add that when the phone is booted up, I don't have any driver issues and can browse the folders on the phone through my computer no problem, driver issue only kicks in when I boot into fastboot mode.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

SBCT likes this.
  3. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

I used this tip from the droid life instruction page. Its way at the bottom.

1. Open device manager on your PC.
    2. Right click on Android 1.0 with the yellow ! mark on it.
    3. Choose update driver.
    4. Choose browse my computer.
    5. Choose Let me pick from a list.
    6. Scroll down and find the Samsung driver with newest date. Should be the driver you downloaded above. (Possibly dated 11/25/2011 ).
    7. It will give you a warning about installing the driver, just click yes.

Do this while in the bootloader, not during normal boot. (Where it seems you are having problems). Once i got this I was unlocked and rooted in just a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Edit: seems to be basically the same instructions given above. Sorry for not reading first.

SBCT likes this.
  4. timetoroot

timetoroot Well-Known Member

I just rooted my phone 20 minutes ago for the first time and had similar issues. (SA, your instructions were fantastic, thank you!!) Once you load the driver per the post above, unplug, then re-plug your usb cable. Seems you have to try to make a "new" usb connection after the driver is installed. This worked for me.

SBCT and scary alien like this.
  5. SBCT

SBCT Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try again when i get home later.

6. SBCT

SBCT Member

Timetoroot nailed it. I plugged the usb cord in and left it in the whole time yesterday while trying to unlock / root. Just disconnecting the usb cord and not plugging it back in until my phone was already in fastboot was all it needed for the windows usb drivers to cooperate! Thanks for your help guys....

timetoroot and scary alien like this.
  7. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Android Enthusiast

8. gapi

gapi Android Expert

If you get stuck at the "Waiting for device" message just leave it alone and go to device manager and find the splat. Then do the usual update driver thing from there and the "waiting for device" message will go away and the process will continue.

scary alien likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews