• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon Droid Eris in endless reboot cycle

I have an HTC Droid Eris on Verizon - running 2.1. The phone is about a year old. Today I was checking apps and there was an update for Skype Mobile. I started the update and about half way through it gave an error message, then rebooted. Now it is stuck in an endless reboot cycle.

Planning to take it to the Verizon store down the street tomorrow morning - but any other suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks.

Hello Eric, welcome to Android Forums. Sorry to see you've got a reboot cycle with your Eris.

Have you pulled the battery out yet to stop the cycle? I'd do that first.

Then put the battery back in and turn the device on to see if it boots up normally. If so, go into the applications manager and remove the last app you installed.

menu > settings > applications > manage applications > skype > clear cache and clear data then uninstall.

Reboot the phone then re-install skype.

Post back how that went for you.

Upvote 0
Sorry - I should have mentioned that up front. Eris wouldn't power off while in the reboot cycle so I pulled the battery, left it out for a bit, then replaced and powered on - no luck, still in reboot cycle.

What seemed to cause everything - though I suppose it could have been coincidence - was an update to Skype Mobile.

Have since left the battery out overnight - still no luck - endless reboot.

Next thing I'm going to try is a hard reset.

Upvote 0
I didn't even know it was my Skype update that did this, so I took it to VZ. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? The only thing Verizon wants to do is sell me a new phone, which I don't have any interest in. When I attempt to make a call, it gives me an automated response saying that my phone could not be authenticated. However, I can receive incoming calls with out a problem.

Upvote 0
I didn't even know it was my Skype update that did this, so I took it to VZ. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? The only thing Verizon wants to do is sell me a new phone, which I don't have any interest in. When I attempt to make a call, it gives me an automated response saying that my phone could not be authenticated. However, I can receive incoming calls with out a problem.

Did you call tech support and have them tell you that they would sell you a new phone, or was this from a local store?

I had that problem once (not with my Eris) and a call to technical support and they were quickly able to reactivate the device on my line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones