• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon DROID X vs Sprint EVO 4G!

Droid X vs Evo 4G

• Droid X

Votes: 125 71.0%
  • Evo 4G

Votes: 51 29.0%

• Total voters
Another vote for the Droid X here.

I will have no access to 4G for a while where I live, so that's a con for me (why pay the $10 if I reap no benefits?)

Also, the next-gen 45nm OMAP3 in the X is not only faster than the Snapdragon, but more power efficient. The Droid X will not have any of the battery issues that the Evo does.

Finally, I've always found Motorola's build quality and reception to be superior to HTC.

Oh, did I mention I don't want to switch to Sprint? :D

I'll be getting the X when I'm eligible for my 1 year upgrade in July (assuming it's still on schedule to release in early July)

Upvote 0
Another vote for the Droid X here.

I will have no access to 4G for a while where I live, so that's a con for me (why pay the $10 if I reap no benefits?)

Also, the next-gen 45nm OMAP3 in the X is not only faster than the Snapdragon, but more power efficient. The Droid X will not have any of the battery issues that the Evo does.

Finally, I've always found Motorola's build quality and reception to be superior to HTC.

Oh, did I mention I don't want to switch to Sprint? :D

I'll be getting the X when I'm eligible for my 1 year upgrade in July (assuming it's still on schedule to release in early July)

Thinking I'm doin the same Fab... hopefully the X will be able to be rooted quickly and easily so we can have some of your great ROMs on it :)

Upvote 0
I was at Sprint last weekend checking out the Evo and was impressed, but I agree weith jreed2560...I have superior service with Verizon and can't think of any valid reasons to jump ship, not even for the minor cost savings. I'm excited for this phone to hit the stores hopefully next month when my upgrade comes due. I'm most curious to find out just how comfortable it feels in the hand and if it will be overwhelming or not. I'm a current Crackberry user and can't wait to join the Android world!

Upvote 0
I had an EVO for a few days and returned it this morning. The phone was truly amazing and I had it long enough for the initial battery woes to sort out and stabilize. Size was ok and a few more mm for the X will be fine too. I returned it because I was very worried about dust issues as light was leaking from the bottom edge.

My wife has a Droid and the build quality is solid- she has had it for a while now. I won't miss the front facing camera if the X doesn't have one. I am a bit worried it will be stuck with motoblur though. I do like Sense UI and would miss that a bit. I know most of the candy can be acived through apps though.

I would have an Incredible if I could get one- but with a July delivery date- I'll wait for the X.

Upvote 0
even with the $10 Evo tax sprint has significantly cheaper plans ($70/month for EVERYTHING are you kidding me?). this thread should be directed towards the phones and not the service as far as i know. if HTC doesn't fix their quality control with the EVO i might wait for this phone. the droid is a fine piece of hardware.

Upvote 0
even with the $10 Evo tax sprint has significantly cheaper plans ($70/month for EVERYTHING are you kidding me?)...

I didn't see "significantly cheaper" prices with Sprint vs Verizon.

Verizon: $59.99 + $29.99 ($89.98) - 21% voice/20% data corp discount + tax = $82
Sprint: $69.99 + $10 (EVO) ($79.99) - 23% corp discount + tax = $77

Same address so should be same taxes. Sprint has higher fees.

Back on topic: Not thinking about the carrier, I like the EVO better. The front camera is awesome!

Upvote 0
Just watched the small review on Engadget, ehhhh, its a tad to BIG I'd say after watching the video. The EVO is pushing the barrier of being able to stick a phone in your pocket. This just pushes the barrier a little to far. But in any event, I'd have to see it in person to make a final decision.

Upvote 0
I didn't see "significantly cheaper" prices with Sprint vs Verizon.

Verizon: $59.99 + $29.99 ($89.98) - 21% voice/20% data corp discount + tax = $82
Sprint: $69.99 + $10 (EVO) ($79.99) - 23% corp discount + tax = $77

Same address so should be same taxes. Sprint has higher fees.

Back on topic: Not thinking about the carrier, I like the EVO better. The front camera is awesome!
I don't agree with the extra $10 for Sprint, but you're forgetting some things when you break it down.

The $59.99 for Verizon gives you 450 anytime minutes and unlimited Verizon to Verizon phone calls. It does NOT include any sort of text messaging, nor does it include data. (You get the data with the $29.99 added on.)

The $69.99 for Sprint gives you 450 anytime minutes and unlimited MOBILE to MOBILE phone calls. (This means you can call any mobile phone on any carrier and it won't drain your 450 anytime minutes... at any time of the day or night.) Also, the $69.99 includes unlimited text messaging and gives you the data service as well.

People seem to forget these things...

The $10 extra for a 4G phone on Sprint is uncalled for any way you look at it, IMHO. Especially if you don't live in a 4G area.

But, no, the Sprint fees aren't more than Verizon when you break it down and what you get for your money. Unlimited mobile to mobile, earlier nights/weekends to land line, data included...

Upvote 0
Just watched the small review on Engadget, ehhhh, its a tad to BIG I'd say after watching the video. The EVO is pushing the barrier of being able to stick a phone in your pocket. This just pushes the barrier a little to far. But in any event, I'd have to see it in person to make a final decision.

This confuses me, it isn't nearly close enough to say that, granted my wife had trouble fitting the EVO into her front pocket today, my dad wears straight legged Levi's and had no issues. These phones are big but not that big, about as big as a storm or storm 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones