1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon Droids in China

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JT8900, Jul 2, 2011.

1. JT8900

JT8900 Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2011
    Hey all, I have a question for all you avid droid users.

I'm going to be studying in China for a year starting in September, and I'm trying to figure out how would be the best way for me to keep in contact with my family. Obviously, skype and everything, but since I'm due for an upgrade from Verizon in a month, I'd really like to get global droid and use all the nifty apps and whatnot. I'm aware that Verizon's overseas rates are astronomical, so I'm wondering if it's possible and plausible to unlock the phone to use a global sim or even one from a Chinese carrier. My father is also in Iraq at the moment, so I'm kind of researching for him too. If anyone has extensive knowledge on this subject, I'd like to hear what you have to say, 'cause I'd rather not downgrade to a basic phone for a year, but there's no way I'm paying $2 a minute -_-

Advertisement

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Verizon phones are all CDMA.

3. JT8900

JT8900 Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2011
    The Droid 2 Global can work on either cdma or gsm, but it's locked for sims other than the Verizon one it comes with.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    You'd have to get the phone unlocked in order to use a Chinese carrier's SIM(China Mobile or China Unicom) and avoid Verizon's hideous roaming charges.

China Telecom is CDMA, not sure about making foreign CDMA phones work with it though.