• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon dropping the ball on Global capability?

tigerdog

Lurker
Dec 3, 2010
After releasing the Droid 2 Global and Droid 3, I checked Motorola's web site to see if there is a new phone coming with global capabilities. I knew Sprint already had a phone with CDMA, LTE and global capabilities. Verizon wouldn't stand for that, right? Ah ha! - droid 4! I check the specs and there's CDMA, LTE... and no global anything.

Are Verizon travelers being left to buy iPhones and old stuff?
Is there something new coming?

Discuss. :)

I was about to say "you can't drop a ball you never had." That just hasn't been something Verizon's really bothered with. It has been more cost effective to just loan you a phone for your trip. If you're going for a significant amount of time, it's probably best to get something local.
Not so much haven't bothered with but done a "half fast" job of. They've always had global crackberries and still try to foist Windows Mobile/Phone on unsuspecting users. For those of us who have to jump back and forth between Verizon and rest-of-world networks and want to stay connected, the iPhone is their best alternative right now. Hopefully the coming changes to the network will allow any of their multi-mode SIM-equipped 4G phones be global. Now THAT would offer up some choices. Verizon, if you can hear us, please listen. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones