1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

verizon early termination?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by cowkllr, Dec 6, 2013.

1. cowkllr

cowkllr Lurker

If i sign a 2 yr contract for a smartphone with verizon and then cancel it on the 15th day or after and pay the ETF, do i get to keep the phone?

If i get to keep the phone, can i activate it on an existing verizon account that i have had for years?

Both contracts will be in different names.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Moved to the Verizon forum for better support.

Generally paying the ETF does allow you to keep the device.

3. cowkllr

cowkllr Lurker

Thanks, couldn't find where to post

4. jamjr74

jamjr74 Well-Known Member

Yes u keep the phone and can use it on another Verizon account.

5. svensett

svensett Android Enthusiast

Depending on what phone you're looking at, it might be less money to buy it off contract. Going the route you're talking about, you pay the ETF, subsidized price of phone, pro-rated monthly plan cost, and possibly the $35 activation fee.

That's assuming you are trying to pay less than full price for a new phone...

6. copestag

copestag Android Expert

and if your other line is on a family plan thats not share everything then its cheaper to just add a line to that account then place a dumbphone on it

7. cowkllr

cowkllr Lurker

I have a membership with a company that I can get one phone i want for free and another phone for 44.99. They also offer free activation. So if I start a 2 yr contract with those two phones, wait 15 days and then cancel, pay the $350 per line and i will be able too keep the phones. So i would have one phone for $350 and another for $395. Can you think of a cheaper plan.

8. svensett

svensett Android Enthusiast

As long as there is nothing in the fine print of the membership companies deal that doesn't add cost for early termination too. You will still be out half a months contract price for each phone.

It sounds like a good deal as long is there are no "gotchyas" working through the membership company.

9. timelord65

timelord65 Android Enthusiast

If your getting the phone somewhere other than Verizon. That other dealer makes you sign a second contract along with the Verizon one. So if you cancel service with Verizon within 180 days (6 Months) Then the other dealer will also hit you with their own ETF.

Buying from a 3rd party retailer is always cheaper than buying direct form Verizon. However you'd have to wait 6 months before changing anything with your Verizon service, IE change plans etc

All these, I'll buy a phone then cancel idea never seem to make much sense to me IMO.

10. cowkllr

cowkllr Lurker

Yep, i went in and read the fine print and i got to wait 180 days. Thanks for all the input