• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Early Upgrade

Im the only person on the account. I called when I woke up, guy said they could do it. Went to the store, said they couldnt do an early upgrade to a 1 year contract. Called customer service again and she said it was because of my employee discount. So the salesman calls and they say its because its an early upgrade to a 1 year, they could do it if I did a 2 year.

I ended up just buying the phone outright on ebay from a vendor selling factory refurbished units. It was a Droid X

Upvote 0
Verizon only allows one year upgrades if you do a two year renewal. If you want to switch to one year contracts you have to wait 20 months and then switch over. And yes only the primary line is elgible but you can do an alternate upgrade and give the new phone to another line on the plan.

You can switch to a one year contract when using an annual upgrade- it just takes a few extra steps.

That's basically what a customer care rep and their sup needs to do for you to get a one-year contract on a phone purchased with an Early Upgrade. You purchase the phone using the Early Upgrade. The rep then adds a manual equipment charge (read: debit) for the difference between one-year and two-year contract pricing to your line, and then gets a supervisor to manually change the contract date to reflect the one-year contract status. To make this easier on you and customer care, order the phone and then call customer care after you receive the phone and they can make those changes.

And, yes I've seen that done at my call center.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones