• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Eris w/ Android 2.0?

Kafke

Lurker
Dec 8, 2009
I am planning on getting my first smartphone, an Eris. However, while comparing verizon's 2 droid phones, I noticed that the Eris is on android 1.5. Upon further research, I figured out that it was the sense UI that was holding it back.

My Question: Could I update the Eris to android 2.0, if I was willing to ditch the Sense UI? Or is there no way, and I am stuck with 1.5...

I'm kinda hoping I can update to 2.0, because there is some apps in the market place that require it. Other than the OS I like the Eris.

I wouldn't blame the lack of 2.0 for the Eris on SenseUI alone. How many 2.0 phones are there on the market? 1.... And that's the moto droid. No other phone has made it to 2.0 yet that I'm aware of.

I'd rather have a solid 2.0 release with or without SenseUI than a buggy problem riddled one. (Moto Droid has had several software issues which is why they are updating to 2.1 so quickly, to resolve them)

Upvote 0
The SenseUI makes a huge difference. It's a beautiful interface.

Droid can't match it.

I like the Eris better, after thoroughly using both. The 1.5 thing is not a big deal. Apps for Android are written in Java, and everyone and their brother knows java. What's my point?

There are T O N S of apps in the marketplace, that don't require 1.6 or 2.0. And tons of those apps are free as well. You're not missing much of anything. I promise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones