• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon exchanging Jelly Bean phones- non-functioning mobile hotspot, misc problems

Can you explain why? What do they do with the phones after it's exchanged? By cracked screen, I mean just the top glass, not broken LCD.

Call them. They'll tell you. Any damage they find and they can charge your account full retail price.

Physical damage is never covered by warranty, only manufacturer defects. You will have to use insurance, if you don't have it then you will have to buy a new one.

Upvote 0
Call them. They'll tell you. Any damage they find and they can charge your account full retail price.

Physical damage is never covered by warranty, only manufacturer defects. You will have to use insurance, if you don't have it then you will have to buy a new one.

But the problems with Hot-spot is a manufacturer defect no? I can completely understand paying for exchanging the phone based on the screen alone, but if the device actually has problems beyond the physical condition, caused by the manufacturer, wouldn't that constitute an exchange without the retail price?

I explained the problems I had. They transferred me to moto. Moto couldn't do anything about it and transferred me to vzw and told them they needed to exchange the phone.

Does your phone have any physical defects? Just wondering in case we have a similar situation, and vzw would exchange a damaged phone like mine.

Upvote 0
But the problems with Hot-spot is a manufacturer defect no? I can completely understand paying for exchanging the phone based on the screen alone, but if the device actually has problems beyond the physical condition, caused by the manufacturer, wouldn't that constitute an exchange without the retail price?

Does your phone have any physical defects? Just wondering in case we have a similar situation, and vzw would exchange a damaged phone like mine.

Listen dude. If there is ANY damage they WILL NOT replace it. At all. Period.

Read your warranty, it says it doesn't cover any physical damage and if you send one back broken you will be charged for it.

And what problems with hot spot? Highly unlikely that it's a defect as its probably just a software issue

Upvote 0

The quickest and most effective way of determining what Verizon Wireless will do in this circumstance is to call and ask. If you are not forthcoming with them regarding any damage to the phone, you run the risk of them identifying the damage after the fact and charging your account for the cost of a replacement smartphone.

Upvote 0
Alright, makes sense. Didn't know they would resell them to Moto. Thanks for the help!

And I'm sure that you method of getting the hot spot for free isn't a valid excuse for an exchange anyway....

Mobile Hotspots is included in my plan and I'm using the official app. Sorry for asking an honest question. Don't jump to conclusions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones