1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Flashing Roms...via Recovery or Odin?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mikestony, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Hey all! Not unfamiliar with flashing roms but kinda confused about flashing roms on this device--I am a noob to this device and feel kinda silly posting this but have seen differing steps to flashing roms.
    So here goes with my questions:
    1. Do I flash custom roms via recovery or Odin?
    2. If I flash via recovery, I assume I leave the rom zipped, do the backup and wipe, then flash the rom .zip.
    3. If I flash via Odin, do I extract the .tar md5 file first then flash with Odin?
    4. What is the difference between flashing via recovery or Odin?

I have CWM recovery with an unlocked bootloader and am still on the stock rom.
    JB 4.1.1. Just got my phone 3 days ago and this whole Samsung is new to me vs. HTC. :)

Rxpert83 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I'll be rooting my dad's s3 tomorrow, so this peaks my interest as well. I assumed it would just be through recovery

Mikestony likes this.
  3. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast

From what I understand its more of preference. Flashing via ODIN is supposed to keep apps and data intact per instructions on XDA. Its the closest to doing a factory upgrade as you can get. Flashing via recovery you typically wipe and flash, radios flash separately, etc. Personally I like flashing via recovery. ODIN just scares the heck out of me for some reason.

Mikestony likes this.
  4. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

WELCOME Mikestony!

It's good to have you here man! been missin' our periodic 'chats' on here!

Anyway, there's several guys here that will be gald to chime in and give you a hand but I am confident, Friend, YOU will have it down and packin' real soon. It's a great device, I really like mine. :smokingsomb:

Mikestony likes this.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Recovery is generally easier, especially if you're use to it. I remember when I had a Samsung, Odin was only for obtaining root and getting recovery on the phone, or flashing back to bone stock. Everything else was Recovery. It's what my brother does on his S3, and hasn't encountered any issues.

I've also hard bricked a phone in Odin back in my noob days, but haven't hard bricked anything in Recovery yet :p

Mikestony and dkl1 like this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews