1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] G2 Rooted Stock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jimecv, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jimecv

jimecv Newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I have the G2, and wanted to get rid of annoying ads. So I rooted(that's it, stock, no recovery). I only rooted it. Everything is still stock. The only thing I added was superuser and busybox. I didn't install a recovery like Twrp or cm. I hate ads, that is the only reason I rooted. I didn't delete any bloatware, only froze with Titanium. Essentially everything is factory, except it is rooted.

Question: Will I be able to take the lollipop OTA?
    If so, Will I lose root?
    If I cant receive OTA, what do I need to do to receive ota update?
    Thanks a bunch

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

You may be able to take the OTA, depends on the checks the update script does... Using ad blockers modifies a handful of files and replaces the hosts file, if the script checks any of those it will likely fail. With stock recovery you shouldn't brick though, it will either take or fail and revert.

Will you lose root? Definitely... Root needs to be handled differently in Lollipop then previous versions of android and requires kernel modification so the superuser daemon can run at startup in system context. Root, as we know it today, will not be possible until the bootloader is unlocked and kernel source is available... Its a paradox, root cannot be achieved without a modified kernel, a modified kernel cannot be installed without root (or an unlocked bootloader). And yes, the boot loader is locked in all carrier subsidized LG phones, including the G2.

Lollipop would obtainable via KDZ or TOT if OTA isn't possible.

3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

Or you could install a custom recovery and wait for a Lollipop ROM to come out.

acejavelin likes this.
  4. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

That too, but a true lollipop ROM will not be available until the kernel source drops... Until then we will have to deal with hybrid lollipop Roms with a KitKat kernel. If that's even possible due to the changes in Lollipop... Don't kid yourself, Lollipop has some extreme changes under the hood.

bberryhill0 likes this.

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews