• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon - Galaxy Nexus - Ideas on how to improve battery life?

The volume control is a rocker, depressed either one way or the other. It is not possible to hold VolUp and VolDown at the same time.
It's not a true rocker switch. If you depress one end, you can still independently depress the other.

While the plastic outer button is one solid piece, it doesn't actually raise at the opposite end of a press. It's also designed to depress both at once, if pressure is placed in the center or on both points, equally (such as when using your entire thumb).

Upvote 0
For anyone unhappy with Nexus battery life, I suggest disabling Google+, Gtalk if you have not done so. I noticed doing so significantly reduced battery drain rate. It's too bad that such basic google service apps in ICS are serious battery eaters. Hope they fix them soon. I'm using ICS browser for Google+ now. Like said many times, WiFi is also big battery saver at home, work.

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate on this, please, Sandroid? I am automatically syncing with Gmail, et al, but I suspect you are not referring to that when you mention Google+ and Gtalk. What do we give up if we disable those and how do we do it?

You can simply go into Google+, Gtalk and just sign out of them. you can't remove them unless rooted. This has nothing to do with Gmail or other apps syncing. You can keep using them just fine.

But those two google apps seem to drain battery much worse than others when signed in. I think most owners are automatically signed into them when first activating Nexus with google account.

Reactions: rickaltman
Upvote 0
I have had no problem with Gtalk and have had it running non-stop since the day I got the phone.

Google+ is the real problem. I don't think you need to disable or sign out of it, just don't let it sync under "accounts & sync".

They don't seem to appear in the "account and sync" setting. After signing out of Gtalk, I noticed battery drain rate reduced by about 30~40%.

Upvote 0
sync google+ is right below gmail under accounts & sync > xxxxx@gmail.com

I haven't tried to eliminate Gtalk as I use it constantly plus I am satisfied with my battery burn rate at this point.

I'm in the middle of some "testing" to see how I fare on 4G vs wifi. I'm currently at 35% remaining with 23 hours on the clock. I'm only at 1hr of screen on time which is low for me though. Normally I'd be between 2-3 hours. So, if I were using the phone as much as I normally do on a weekday I'd probably be down another 7-15%. Still, the graph doesn't lie about how much battery use is with screen on and 4G active. Wifi is king.

Upvote 0
what i do:
1) Use an app called Profile that turns on/off wifi on certain days at certain times. Wifi is your battery's friend, and this app turns it on and off for me at the times I will be home
2) Turn off 4G radio if I am not in a 4G area
3) Turn off all networks if in the boonies (or on a golf course)
4) Turn off GPS until needed (most apps tell you to turn it on when they need it)

2 days is no problem.
It is the radios searching that hurt you. Kill whatever radio that does not have access and is going to burn the battery out by continuing to search.
And +1 for 4.04; great battery life

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones