1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Verizon Galaxy Nexus Receiving 4.1.1 Update Now!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bmpster, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Elevener

Elevener Newbie
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Installing now.

Here is what I did, and like others, I'm not convinced it wasn't just 'my turn'...

I turned data over mobile network off, then backed out of settings completely. Then I went back in and cleared the framework cache and back out completely. Then I went back in and checked....bam. Started downloading.

Advertisement

2. candide

candide Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    No question, without a doubt it was Google Wallet blocking the update. Past 2 days tried every trick over and over. Just now I tried everything over and over and nothing. Framework, checkin #, nothing. I uninstalled google wallet and cleared framework and went to check update and immediately it was there. Google Wallet App was blocking the update.

3. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    I never had Google wallet, but the trick never worked for me. Patience is not my strong suit but was better than banging my head against the wall trying to force the update.

4. Brent72

Brent72 Lurker
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    I give up! I've tried every trick mentioned on here and nothing makes the update show up. I live in southern Illinois so maybe it hasn't gone live in this small area yet, but I'm getting really frustrated waiting for this thing to show up.

AlissaLL3 likes this.
  5. DBNissan

DBNissan Member
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    NorCal
    I'm in Cali, tried all the tricks and never had wallet. I still don't have the update either :mad:

6. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    just checking in here....i was able to pull the update yesterday morning. IMO this build is not very good. I had ran the leak on another Nexus and didn't like it then. Now i have it on a new replacement device that's never been rooted and is less than a week old...still don't like it. I get lag in various places and the battery life is HORRIBLE. 8 hours with normal use for me. ....i'm going to root it and put a custom Kernel on it tonight. I can't deal with this garbage battery life. It's mainly the screen on time is killing it. Even with the screen not on it is still eating battery which was one of the common issues i think with the early ICS builds.

7. magicconcept

magicconcept Newbie
    None

Sep 11, 2012
    I swore I wasn't going to become a regular poster...

...My suspicion is that the update servers will ignore a request if they are too busy, or perhaps if they receive multiple requests simultaneously, or something along those lines. I do know for a fact that sitting there clicking "Retry" repeatedly had no effect, but when I did "the trick" all the way through, repeatedly, after the sixth try or so it went through and was suddenly downloading (no warning or "click OK"; it just started downloading). So I believe "the trick" does have an effect of some sort, perhaps it alters the form ("wording"?) of the request the phone itself sends. To those who haven't gotten it yet: rest easy, maybe try it a few more times tonight, or just get some sleep and try it tomorrow. But don't give up after the first three tries. It's a hassle to go through the entirety of "the trick", but do it at least ten or twelve times in a set. It'll come eventually.

And like people have said - it's not life-changing, but you will definitely notice the difference on your home screens. The transition animations have gone from slide show to, well, butter. The first few scroll attempts might look a little clunky, I guess while the animation is coding itself for the first time or something, but it smooths out fast. Also: make sure you reboot, I think, three times: the phone reboots itself once, where you'll see "optimizing apps" and the new Nexus "x" boot animation (way less gaudy, bravo); but reboot it again even if not prompted, as mine did some further updating when I did reboot it.

Happy Jelly Bean weekend!

8. blueNINE

blueNINE Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2012
    Male
    Musician, gamer, arcade stick builder/modder/repai
    Amherst, MA, USA
    I can pretty much confirm that forcing Google Services Framework to stop and clearing the data for it, then checking for updates does work. There are four people (including myself) who all have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus at the same time. I got the update to appear on mine after trying the trick a few times. Afterwards, I tried checking for updates without doing the trick on someone else's phone, and it said that it was up to date...until I did the trick again. The other two users haven't tried the trick, and haven't gotten the update.

It might not work for everyone, but I'm just saying that it really does appear to have some affect!

Also, for what it's worth, I'm in western MA.

After much anticipation, it's finally here! Good luck to everyone who is trying to update.

9. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Member
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    NYC area
    Just got it randomly checking today in NYC area.

10. dalumberjack

dalumberjack Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    San Jose, CA

Been having the same problem. Booted into cwm and it errored out on the install due to two of my apps not being stock (this is after i did a factory refress so don't know how that happened). I tried it again and now it says there is an error with my systempak.

I am lost. I tried searching over at xda for people having the same issue or a explanation how to install this update if you were unlocked and rooted. I have never installed a rom or anything. Just unlocked my phone so I could side load apps.

11. DBNissan

DBNissan Member
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    NorCal
    I just picked up my GNex and it showed that it was 25% into the 4.1 download! FINALLY!

No tricks or checking for updates. It just initiated itself! =D

12. BradGfromBoo

BradGfromBoo Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    So how do we unlock and root now ? haha

13. txrose72

txrose72 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Phoenix
    Worked for me. Clear Data first and then Force Stop followed by multiple touches on Check Now. Installing NOW. Or maybe it was just my turn. Phoenix.

14. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Deep South
    Agree that the trick seems to work. I unroofed and relocked today. First got the 4.04 update ( only after the trick) and then kept trying to update to jb. Realized I was stopping app then clearing data ( I tried like 7 times) so I did it Again in the other order and boom... There was my update!

Hoping this fixes the reception issues I've been having lately. Missing calls left and right the past few weeks after last couple of custom Roms

15. sreymj

sreymj Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 26, 2010
    This exact sequence worked for me too...

16. dubie7006

dubie7006 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Just tried 'the trick' and on my 5th time trying it all the way through, it worked! It does say via Wifi only, but mine says until Oct. 3. Be patient with it. I actually turned data over network off then back on before it worked, too, not sure if that had anything to do with it. I'm pumped! Let's see how I like it.

17. theWUbear

theWUbear Member
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    NJ
    Does that have any effects?

I think doing it caused Astrid Tasks to stop giving me notifications. :(

18. iron_city

iron_city Member
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    This worked for me.

19. Evo31879

Evo31879 Guest
    None

20. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Network Admin
    MCAS New River
    I received it this morning. Turned my phone off late last night and turned back on just before 7am Eastern. As soon as I did, it popped up letting me know I had an update. It's very responsive and I'm enjoying it so far.

21. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    My opinion is that the "trick" works, but not until you're time is ready. What I mean by that is, there's obviously some random order in which people are getting the update. Once your number is up, your phone and the mothership have to link up to get the update. I think at that point, the "trick" does something that a regular check for updates does not, triggering the download.

I only say all this because I tried all day Saturday with no luck, and then at 0002 Sunday morning, I tried the "trick" and it worked. I'm guessing Sunday was my day and the "trick" triggered it, but had I not been awake then, I probably would have had it by the morning.

Also, I didn't have to uninstall Wallet. I think that's a placebo.

22. Foxcow

Foxcow Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 14, 2010
    Without knowing how the system actually works, I don't anyone can confirm or deny that "the trick" works.

That being said, I got up this morning at 6:30 for school and I checked twice, lo and behold, the update was there.

23. lazy bum

lazy bum Newbie
    None

May 14, 2010

24. NOVAdroid2151

NOVAdroid2151 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Northern, VA

Go to Accounts and Sync and then remove your Google account, and then it will give an error, saying you need a backup email. Go back and add your Google account again back into the phone. It will re-sync everything and give you access gain to the Play store.

25. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Marlton, NJ
    I woke up to the update this morning. Good thing I was away for the weekend and avoided all this drama. :p

My only advice for those who haven't received the OTA yet is to calm down. I know you're all excited, but it will come. Releases tend to be staggered so Verizon CSRs don't get overwhelmed.

FWIW, I didn't do any framework trick, reboot phone or anything else. It was just pushed. Those thinking wallet is the culprit, you're wrong. I have wallet and got the OTA fine. I'm also unlocked and rooted.

I would also highly recommend using OTA root keeper and restoring root after the update.

As for the update itself, so far all I've noticed is the phone "feels" faster. Transitions are smooth, no lie there. Can't comment on battery life yet, although I never had a problem with it to begin with. In my office, I'm getting better 4G LTE signal. We'll see if that translates into better handoffs and improved uptime.

Volume seems a bit louder too, although I'm sure I'm just imagining something.

Tags: