1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] Galaxy S3 Roaming

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crackdroid1, Jun 17, 2013.

1. crackdroid1

crackdroid1 Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I got a Galaxy S3 recently from my cousin. He had rooted it, got an unauthorized software warning, panicked, and flashed back to stock. After doing so, he was unable to get the phone's cellular radio to work properly. So he sent it to me to work on.

I tried re-flashing the OS using Odin, and I also flashed the radios, but no matter what I do, when I put in my SIM, it still says I'm roaming. I checked on My Verizon and it says that the phone is activated.

Any idea how to fix this (hopefully without taking it to Verizon)?

Advertisement

2. TALONTRAX

TALONTRAX Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2012
    Male
    Automotive technician
    Southampton, PA.
    Check the mobile network settings : Settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. Should be set to LTE/CDMA, however, mine has been working on global.

3. crackdroid1

None

May 20, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I forgot to mention that I have tried both LTE/CDMA and Global modes, to no avail. I have no data access, and when I try to call, I get an automated message saying to hold while my call is transferred to an external carrier.

4. TALONTRAX

None

Dec 2, 2012
    Male
    Automotive technician
    Southampton, PA.
    Possibly in the root/un-root process, you lost the device`s IMEI. I`ll look for a link on how th restore/repair it. Meanwhile, you can verify/exclude this by going into settings/about device/status . . . & check if the IMEI or MEID is displayed or if it matches the # on the tag behind the battery.

http://droidmodderx.com/galaxys3/?page_id=79

5. crackdroid1

None

May 20, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    The IMEI is displayed in Status screen, and it matches the one on the label under the battery...any more ideas?

6. TALONTRAX

None

Dec 2, 2012
    Male
    Automotive technician
    Southampton, PA.
    That`s weird. At this point, since you really have nothing to lose, I would recommend re-rooting the device, & installing a custom rom. I`m running CleanRom 6R2, it`s 4.1.2, & I ABSOLUTELY recommend it. I`ve been running this rom for 2 months or so. It`s super stable, loaded with features, & I believe it will restore all of your correct network settings (the verizon version).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1832070

I honestly don`t know what else to recommend @ this point bud . . .

crackdroid1 and Mikestony like this.
  7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Just for giggles, power the phone down. Remove the sim card and sd card (if applicable), power back up. Let it boot up fully and pull battery, replace sim and sd card, power up.
    See if roaming is off. If no change,
    Toggle airplane mode off, wait minute, toggle back airplane mode back on. :)

crackdroid1 and TALONTRAX like this.
  8. TALONTRAX

None

Dec 2, 2012
    Male
    Automotive technician
    Southampton, PA.
    Good thinking Mike . . . I forgot about that little trick. I would definately Try that first.:rolleyes:

Mikestony likes this.
  9. crackdroid1

None

May 20, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Sadly, the reboot trick didn't work, Mike. I'm going to try re-rooting and see if that works. I'll post the results here.

TALONTRAX and Mikestony like this.
  10. crackdroid1

None

May 20, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    So, it appears to be working. I have 4G data with Cyanogenmod installed. Here's what I did:

First, I rooted the device following the instructions at the link TALONTRAX gave me. I wiped & installed CleanROM, but I was still having the roaming issue. As a way to test my SU permissions, I installed ROM Manager. It acquired SU permissions fine, so I decided that, since I had nothing to lose, I would install Cyanogenmod. I did that (including a wipe).

My phone booted up and began activation (which it didn't do under CleanROM), and then said that activation was unsuccessful. I rebooted, and it gave me the same error. I selected "skip" instead of reboot this time, and when I got to the home screen, I had 4G connectivity.

In other words, I have no idea how the hell I fixed it, but I did. I think maybe Cyanogen included the basebands or something. What do you guys think?

TALONTRAX and Mikestony like this.
  11. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    I think it had something to do with how you were holding the phone while flashing the rom.
    :p
    nah, really though, I do not know why. Roms do not have the baseband radios in the .zip file, so honestly, I have not a clue either :dontknow:

Glad you got it back though eh? :D

crackdroid1 likes this.
  12. bbolton_98

bbolton_98 Newbie
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    Ive seen the prl get messed up and only show roaming, sometimes removing sim and restart , sometimes getting a new sim has fixed it. But as stated before if flashing cm roms make sure to do a nvbackup and follow the install instructions nice and slow. It's worth reading through them one time completely before doing anything. Just so you know that you have everything you need and recognize the terminology. Congrats on saving his phone, that's what these forums are for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2