• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Galaxy Tab at Bestbuy w/ No Contract?

Kind of a dumb question for my first post, But...If you don't have market to download stuff, does that mean there's no way to get those programs?
I'd like the Archos 101, mostly to use for volleyball stat keeping. It's on the marketplace, and I have it for my droid, but I dont see it in the other store to purchase.
Is there a way to download to my laptop, THEN to the 101?

Upvote 0
I just did this. Sign the stupid contract. Call them up and tell them I bought the device outright. why do i need this contract. tell them that the local reps were confused and didn't try to research anything. i bought it today and had the contract cancelled with $0 activation fee. pretty much, just paid the $599.

Upvote 0
huh, market is on the TAB guys! i have verizon. just downloaded tons and tons of apps. I don't get where this "no market" thing is coming from. sorry, not posting twice, just different subject from what i saw above. it's all rumor. here's a pic of apps i installed. you'll notice several different apps you normally get through the market including the root

Attachments

• x01.jpeg
    x01.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
got my tab this weekend as well. i got the sprint version cuz i like the white backing. also, i got adhoc to work so i can tether to my droid inc. i don't want to pay anymore data plan. although vzw $20/mo is not a bad plan. but sprint is $30.

loving it so far. only thing i don't like is the youtube quality. it kind'a sux even though i made it hq. i hope someone fixes this problem.

Upvote 0
No you can not. It will be its own line but, after your first month and $20 if you drop the data you will have zero dollars on your bill per month on the Tab.

Android will not tether to android because of the lack of ad-hoc. Thats the only reason I have for paying the $20 data fee.

My Tab tether's with my Desire all the time, I activate the hotspot wifi on the Desire and then just do a wifi connection from the Tab to the Desire and go online all the time. The phone has to be running Froyo also to do it!!! I just use the $15.00 unlimited data plan I have on my phone to go online with my Tab, it is not connected to AT&T at all.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I've been doing a bit of research the last few days--Given comments here, just went to t-mobile site and saw they offer 2 variations, one pre-paid for $599 and the other, with a 2-year contract, for $399. Did a chat with one of their rep's as I wasn't clear on what really they mean by pre-pay--or I guess really the question was, does that mean 'pay as you go' or 'use our data til you use up $200 worth' in which case it would probably only buy a few months' worth--I was not left with the impression it meant 2 full years of service cheap because it was pre-paid..Then he pointed me to their mobile broadplan plan page and I'm still confused. However, he then stated the $399 was a better deal.

I hope I'm not confusing the issue further. My other question related to a point raised in this thread--I saw on their site that there is the 16 internal memory and an SD slot but I did NOT see that they provided the SD.

A

Upvote 0
Just chiming in again...After seeing some of the comments here I ended up going by a T-mobile story to check out the Samsung Galaxy tab again. Got a well informed rep (well, fairly well informed!) and they were offering it in the store for 399.

I mentioned I was a government employee just in the course of conversation and ah ha, yes did get me a 15% discount on the device (with forthcoming rebate thingie) discount will also apply to the service contract and any accessories, which almost made up for the salary freeze @@... I was debating not getting a contract but for me the reality is, I'm getting this with the expectation of using it after all :'}. And the price break seemed a sign to buy it now -- I've been researching for 2 or 3 weeks now after all. I know there will be new developments but as some wise soul here said, there will always be something new and it was time just to step into the stream.

And again thanks to those of you who got me thinking outside my 'verizon box' as that would have cost me 599 for less memory etc and come to think, that salesman didn't say a thing about a discount though I'd mentioned the gov't employment. Hmmm.

So I'm waiting for the little guy to come by UPS any day now. Have bought one of those hard cases (with a stand) for him and even located capacitative(sp) styluses on amazon that are supposedly made for this...

Have named him Ralph :"}.

Upvote 0
So if you can pick this bad boy up at Bestbuy for $549 and no contract (per LINK) can you just use WIFI and not worry about getting a Verizon Contract?

Really want to get one of these, but would just use it around the house, thus I would just use WIFI, so no use to pay Verizon monthly.

I know I'm missing something.

WHY WOULD ANYONE buy a CDMA Tab off-contract. That is totally puzzling. I can understand GSM/SIM based ones because you can at least buy pre-paid 3G SIMs when you travel abroad. Also, you can easily recoup your investment buy later selling it. 3G GSM based tabs are the way to go.

Now, I understand the desire for Verizon. Again, I would only buy a SPrint or VZW tab if I was certain on using their data plan.

Upvote 0
I bought a VZW at BB, no contract. Had a MIFI so this seemed to work best for me. I can set up data plans thru my MIFI but haven't the need for it. Everyone has educated me to the fact that my tab is overpriced having less hardware (2GB vs 16GB). Local TM store is selling their- no contract- for $649. Online for $599. Before I pack up my tab and return to BB- I only have a few days to do this-
1. my mifi has a data plan I have not tapped into- if I do decided to add the data plan this should work with the TM Tab, right. No one can answer that question for me.. each wants to sell me theirs or tell me it won't be capatable.
2. heard the TM is not Divx certified device, on my VZW my videos play great (avi files), so how can I play my movies via the TM- is there an app to help with this. Hate to lose this feature at the cost of others.
3. hate the fact that each seller has a different version of the Tab, is there one out there that has no issues with BT (keyboard/mouse), memory (GB), video playback.. ? If I spend the money I want the full product sans the phone..

No help with answers at any of the stores: Actually went to my local VZW store and they never saw one, don't even have it as a product yet.. had no idea what I was talking about or anything.. Went to TM and the guy told me that my videos won't play and said theirs were selling higher than online.

Upvote 0
I am on an employee friend's and family plan. I have a Mifi card along with my Droid2. My mifi card/# is eligible for upgrade. So my thought was that I would upgrade the mifi line the Galaxy tab and use their 3g network along with wifi. (im not sure if the Galaxy Tab can be used as a hotspot??) Anyway, so I called vzw employee customer service because I can only deal through them for anything on the account. The guys told me that they were only selling the galaxy tab as a bundle with the mifi card (ala the same as the ipad). Which I was shocked to hear as I was almost certain that the Galaxy Tab could get on their network directly, albiet not for telephony.

Before I call them back bitching, I want to confirm that he was wrong.

Can you go to BB or where ever and get a Galaxy Tab ON the vzw 3g network, along with wifi capabilities, without having to get a mifi card?

Im hoping that dude was just dumb or confused. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am on an employee friend's and family plan. I have a Mifi card along with my Droid2. My mifi card/# is eligible for upgrade. So my thought was that I would upgrade the mifi line the Galaxy tab and use their 3g network along with wifi. (im not sure if the Galaxy Tab can be used as a hotspot??) Anyway, so I called vzw employee customer service because I can only deal through them for anything on the account. The guys told me that they were only selling the galaxy tab as a bundle with the mifi card (ala the same as the ipad). Which I was shocked to hear as I was almost certain that the Galaxy Tab could get on their network directly, albiet not for telephony.

Before I call them back bitching, I want to confirm that he was wrong.

Can you go to BB or where ever and get a Galaxy Tab ON the vzw 3g network, along with wifi capabilities, without having to get a mifi card?

Im hoping that dude was just dumb or confused. Thanks.

It wont work. I got the VZW Tab first and asked to do the same thing with the Mifi.. mine was eligible for an upgrade too. They said the Tab has to go on a seperate line all by itself.

Upvote 0
They're wrong, I walked into a Verizon store and walked out having paid for one month of 3G data only, and without the mifi.

Hmm ok. Sounds like ill definitely be calling them tomorrow.

Let me tell u what I want give me ur opinions

-cancel/upgrade/change my mifi card
-get a galaxy tab in its place
-get online with the tab via vzw 3g network (just like my droid2)
-use the galaxy tab as a hotspot (just like my droid2)

Basically I don't need the mifi anymore since I have the hotspot on my droid. But id like it if the galaxy could do it too.

Upvote 0
Yes, from what I read a Samsung Galaxy Tab from Verizon you can forget about the MiFi or other mobile hot spots. The Tab ships with the 3G Mobile Hotspot App that allows you to use the Tab as a hotspot so that you can connect other mobile devices to the web, your computer included. You can also do teethering, but I don't know much about that.

Upvote 0
For those who returned their Verizon for the TM Tab...
I will need to buy a TM from online. I have a VZW mifi,
With the TM Tab is there an activiation screen? Or does it need to be unlocked the way my VZW did? How do I buy pass the activation screen?
So until I set up a plan with TM, i won't have IM capability, anything else I should consider? I guess the data plan I have with my VZW Mifi will not work with the TM Tab, right?

Upvote 0
Just got a VERIZON tab for 499 at best buy. Not sure why it's not 599. Black Friday it was 550. The BB people were not up to speed on anything about the tab or plans. The sign said 599, BUT it also said 499 with a 1gb, 3gb, or 5gb plan. One month was required w/purchase.

I asked the BB guy how would I get it at 599 when one month is required to purchase---and it says 499 with a 1/3/5 (no contract) plan. They were confused.

Upvote 0
This might be Android 101 question, but how do I disable the cellular radio? I bought a VZ and don't use their service on my Galaxy Tab, so I want WiFi on but cellular data off, but when i click use cellular data it still says "searching for service..." and I can't use airplane mode cause then wifi turns off. Suggestions?

Upvote 0
To bypass the activation screen, After the Language setup screen, press the volume up once, volume down twice, volume up three times, volume down four times. Activation bypassed. :D

For those who returned their Verizon for the TM Tab...
I will need to buy a TM from online. I have a VZW mifi,
With the TM Tab is there an activiation screen? Or does it need to be unlocked the way my VZW did? How do I buy pass the activation screen?
So until I set up a plan with TM, i won't have IM capability, anything else I should consider? I guess the data plan I have with my VZW Mifi will not work with the TM Tab, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones