• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Getting verizon/samsung to replace phone

Let me ask this too, what area are you in, and what speeds are you getting when you do get an LTE signal? Every area I've been in LTE-wise, speeds are great. However, there ARE areas (and this isn't always phone specific, but does seem to be different between phone models) that some phones will pick up / hold the 4G better than others.

Replied to your posts in bold above.

The way it SHOULD work, is that if I have a 4G signal, then it shouldn't revert back to 3G unless the 4G signal is degraded to the point where it doesn't work, in which case it should hand back to the 3G if it's stronger. But it seems to be that the phone sees both, and goes back and forth. There are some places where as soon as I walk inside a restaurant or something, I switch from 4G to 3G. Other places, it stays the whole time. They need to refine those sorts of things, but I've had upwards of 20Mbps speed tests in some areas, with most averaging 10-ish when I'm in a 4G market. Just curious as to how your area is. Or, if it's that you SHOULD be getting 4G, and aren't getting it at all or something like that.

Hi,

I called Verizon Wireless customer service and spoke with the technical department. They checked my coverage, my residential area, and it showed to them that I am at a 4GLTE area and that I should get the excellent coverage.

I informed the representative that I do press *228 and automatically he said that was basically it and that it fried my SIM card. I informed him that based on my research it shows that pressing *228 on a 4G phone, will not affect it, however, he mentioned that it has in the past with the HTC Thunderbolt and that it has been on other devices and that my SIM card is probably fried and at this point they would probably send me out a new SIM card.

With the manufacturer's warranty, I can get a refurbished Galaxy Nexus that has gone through 100% inspection and is certified.

When I am driving, I do see that I am getting 4G speeds, full 4 bars! However, once I land home, it drops to 1 bar, and if I am lucky 2 bars. However, my data connection is never 4G in my residential area, it's not even 3G :( The basic phones that I have here with me, do get the same signal strength as I, barely 1 bar.

I do not remember if my signal was like this since day 1. I am confused at this point.

Can I test this out by going back to stock ICS + the 4.0.4 radios and see what signals I get, and then afterwards flashing Jelly Bean ROM's? If so, can I get the steps on how to go back to stock? Is it an easy process or must I be cautious not to brick my phone? I don't have backups of stock ICS though.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I called Verizon Wireless customer service and spoke with the technical department. They checked my coverage, my residential area, and it showed to them that I am at a 4GLTE area and that I should get the excellent coverage.

I informed the representative that I do press *228 and automatically he said that was basically it and that it fried my SIM card. I informed him that based on my research it shows that pressing *228 on a 4G phone, will not affect it, however, he mentioned that it has in the past with the HTC Thunderbolt and that it has been on other devices and that my SIM card is probably fried and at this point they would probably send me out a new SIM card.

With the manufacturer's warranty, I can get a refurbished Galaxy Nexus that has gone through 100% inspection and is certified.

When I am driving, I do see that I am getting 4G speeds, full 4 bars! However, once I land home, it drops to 1 bar, and if I am lucky 2 bars. However, my data connection is never 4G in my residential area, it's not even 3G :( The basic phones that I have here with me, do get the same signal strength as I, barely 1 bar.

I do not remember if my signal was like this since day 1. I am confused at this point.

Can I test this out by going back to stock ICS + the 4.0.4 radios and see what signals I get, and then afterwards flashing Jelly Bean ROM's? If so, can I get the steps on how to go back to stock? Is it an easy process or must I be cautious not to brick my phone? I don't have backups of stock ICS though.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. *228 and 22899 are slightly different. If *22899 would have any effect on your phone, it wouldn't be dialing it automatically itself. It may have been just that the rep thought you meant the *228 instead. Regardless, having another SIM sent won't hurt anything, even if not needed. Never hurts to try.

As for signal goes, it sounds like your particular residential area is just in one of those bits that's a dip in coverage. That's part of why you can never fully go by the coverage maps either. Just because it SAYS you have coverage, there are so many little factors that can also cause it to dip. My house currently, the maps say I get nothing, but I get two bars on my front porch. (drops to virtually nothing indoors tho). And I've had other areas where it DOES show coverage, where I get nothing.

If other phones are getting barely any service, then you really aren't going to get any better with your Nexus in the same spot, regardless of ROM/Radios. The only things that can be done with that, are a Network Extender (which will give you 3G speeds for data, running off your current High Speed internet connection, as well as giving you much better indoor service for calls/txts. I have one at home, even though I use Wi-Fi for my internet/data. So the only thing my Extender works for, is calls, and messaging. My Wi-Fi speeds directly, are faster than the data transferred through the extender). The other option, would be to just...wait and see if they expand coverage through whatever are you're in, to possibly increase service. Depending on the area, they may, or may not be doing that soon. Either way, I'd call into Tech Support again, let them know that your signal is low, and that you've also tested OTHER phones with similar signal results. That way they can at least (maybe) mark that area for tweaking or something. And, if you kinda bug them about lack of service, they may offer the Network Extender at a much cheaper price (I've seen that before). It's not the greatest solution, but it is one. I'm rarely home except at night, so for me, it works ok.

And just because I'm curious, whereabouts do you live? I don't need your address exactly or anything, but kinda a city/state area.

Upvote 0
Right, but if the original phone replacement was done via insurance, it does throw stuff off. So if the original phone was replaced say, for damage (as in this case, soup), and then THAT one dies..it kinda throws off the reps. You'd go in the store, they'd see that the original one was done by insurance instead of regular mfr warranty. At that point, you're at the mercy of what the rep wants to do. Some reps wouldn't even look at the first replacement, and would just go by original purchase date and replace it as normal. But if you get ones that go "heyyyyy waitaminute", then you have to argue with them half the time. They kinda put you in the "hey, not MY fault you broke your first phone and have to do insurance instead"...like once you go insurance, you STAY insurance.. It all comes down to the rep, and how they feel that day.

And that's why I don't do insurance nor go to the stores. I baby my phones, no need for insurance for me. Well except for having one I can root and restore, like the Moto A855 and the Samsung SCH-I515.

Upvote 0
And that's why I don't do insurance nor go to the stores. I baby my phones, no need for insurance for me. Well except for having one I can root and restore, like the Moto A855 and the Samsung SCH-I515.

I carry insurance on any phone that I won't have the out-of-pocket for money at any given moment. And I have a store I do trust near me, just in case, with connections still from when I worked as a Tech. So I'm lucky in that regard. But I carry insurance just because I never know. I'd rather have the piece of mind, and spend a hundred bucks, than six, even though I've never broken any phones in the past. I just know that the second I pull it off, I'll bump something and shatter it.

It just is a pain, that so many people have had troubles, and many due to reps who aren't on top of things. It was the one thing that led to me leaving corporate actually, was because I was constantly dealing with correcting the other people I worked with on how things would be handled.

But I do certainly understand why people would pass on the insurance.

Upvote 0
Asurion will replace any phone they've replaced for you when you make a claim under their warranty as long as its not physical/liquid damage. Done it a couple of times with my tbolt. Lost one, paid $100, next two were replaced free from asurion due to touch screen issues. Best part, asurion will next day deliver it as long as you call by 9pm est for no extra charge where as Verizon is 2 days min unless you wanna pay, which sucks if your phone is fried and you don't have a back up

Upvote 0
Asurion will replace any phone they've replaced for you when you make a claim under their warranty as long as its not physical/liquid damage. Done it a couple of times with my tbolt. Lost one, paid $100, next two were replaced free from asurion due to touch screen issues. Best part, asurion will next day deliver it as long as you call by 9pm est for no extra charge where as Verizon is 2 days min unless you wanna pay, which sucks if your phone is fried and you don't have a back up

No true on the shipping. I had my GNex replaced under the manufactures warranty and it was shipped next day and at my house by 10:30am

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones