1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Google Wallet for VZW S3 WORKING!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dkl1, Dec 27, 2012.

1. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

For those who have been wanting the GW for their S3, I found THIS installer app that does everything for you! It was so easy PLUS it is working. Now one disclaimer here: I have not tried it at a merchant as of yet! But, I had no problems entering credit cards and signing up so I'm guessing it will work. :D

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Did you have to install busybox or did the CleanRom have it installed already?

dkl1 likes this.
  3. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

It was already there!:)

Mikestony likes this.
  4. Mikestony

VIP Member

I think Ima gonna try that rom this weekend along with GW. btw, I couldnt find the download link in your link....it went to a broken PlayStore url...I'll check it again....:thinking:
    However, I did find his op here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2024460

dkl1 likes this.
  5. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert

Yeah, it works. I've installed it twice.

dkl1 likes this.
  6. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!

I have turned my cheek every time someone mentions GW. What exactly does it do?

I think i remember it stores your credit card info? Then a store can scan it or something?

7. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

Yeah, I think it's up and coming technology - just a few merchants offer it but it makes paying the bill quicker by utilizing the NFC feature. Just 'tap' or touch the device to the terminal and BANG done!

I'm just a glutton for new technology and I'm always willing to give it a try be4 saying "humbug":p

Have yet to try it, maybe today!

8. chamba

chamba Well-Known Member

i tried this method , i installed busy box , followed the instructions word by word and ended up bricking my phone not once by 3 times, the first time i panicked but quickly i learned to use odin to un-brick still i failed 2 more times with the installer after that i gave up .

update... i tried it a 4th time for the hell of it and another brick ... i give up (currently trying to to salvage my phone thru odin... for the 4th time...)

9. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

Wow, sorry to hear that! It worked first time for me. I'm sure you pushed all the right 'buttons' when you were given the choice of ROM and carrier? Just don't know what I can say to help :(

Hopefully someone else has an idea...:)

10. chamba

chamba Well-Known Member

nah its cool i managed to get back to stock by flashing the rom again thru odin i gotten pretty good at restoring my phone now

dkl1 likes this.
  11. Mikestony

VIP Member

Just got it set up!! One snafu when installing, such as "Device not ready". Ended up rebooting twice...still no go...then I shut off phone for about 5 minutes, powered back on, and tried it again, opened up GW, and set up account.
    Didn't restore build.prop yet.

@chamba--do you have an unlocked bootloader? Perhaps that was your issue?

@dkl1--have you restored your build.prop after GW setup?

dkl1 likes this.
  12. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

You know Mike, I have not basically because I wasn't sure if I was suppose to! Right now my S3 is a "GNex"! Are you under the assumption that we're s'pose to? Won't that cause problems? I still have not tried using it yet! You? :smokingsomb:

13. Mikestony

VIP Member

No, I haven't restored build.prop and I haven't tried the wallet yet. Kinda excited to see if it works.

Also trying to get info about issues or non-issues about reverting the build.prop back to what it was after set up. Haven't found anything yet.:)

dkl1 likes this.
  14. Mikestony

VIP Member

Just an update...used the Google Wallet today at Radio Shack. BAM! Worked the first time..kinda cool:)
    Got the reciept from the cashier and on my phone. I noticed that on the cashiers reciept, the last 4 digits of the credit card were not the last 4 digits of my credit card. Apparently, the charge goes thru on a virtual card and then later is charged against your real card..
    Wonder how that would work with returns made with Wallet?

dkl1 likes this.
  15. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

It use to be your actual card back when you could only use a citi mastercard. But in order to allow users to use any credit card, google wallet now serves as a quasi money launderer. You charge with wallet, and the merchant charges google. Once google receives the charge, they then turn around and bill your credit card as if you had made a purchase from the play store. I've never tried to return anything since this change, but I imagine it could create some problems.:thinking:

Mikestony likes this.
  16. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

Cool! I still haven't tried it out yet but maybe sometime this week....

Sounds pretty neato tho :)

Mikestony likes this.
  17. chamba

chamba Well-Known Member

yeah i did have an unlocked bootloader and are rooted , and followed everything step by step , but i decided the benefit of google wallet is not worth loosing my data everytime i have to restore my phone because it gets stuck on a boot loop i give up

18. Mikestony

VIP Member

Sorry you had to go thru that so many times:( Who knows, maybe by the time you want to try it again, there will be an update or a better way to install it:)

dkl1 likes this.
  19. HDKorp

HDKorp Newbie

Install went well, though it took several minutes for the credit card selection process to complete. I just haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Recommend backing up the actual Wallet app, not just the installer. This way you can restore it easily. It will show up as System App, not a User App.
    Sent from my $.96 GS3
    -CleanROM 5.5.1
    -Gorilla Gadgets 4500mah Battery
    -ZaggShield & skin
    -Unlimited Data

20. Mikestony

VIP Member

I assume you mean via Titanium Backup or a nandroid backup?
    The reason I ask is this:

quote is from here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1769083

21. HDKorp

HDKorp Newbie

Yes. Good to know regarding the app itself. At least keep a backup of the installer.

22. prl91

prl91 Newbie

Hey guys! Sorry to bump the thread, but I was wondering if you would think posting Wallet Installer here as well would be a good idea. Thanks for any input!

23. Mikestony

VIP Member

Hey prl! Yes indeed! I think so! and I would consider adding it to the sticky at the top of the forum!
    If you want, start a thread about it with your info, and I can either sticky that thread, or add a link to it in the existing stickies!
    Thanks! And it works! I, and a few others have installed it, and it works awesome!

Edit: thanks for popping in here!
    btw...note to all...prl91 is the developer of the installer app!

dkl1 and prl91 like this.
  24. prl91

prl91 Newbie

Okay! I'll do that! It will probably be a bit later today though. Also, is it okay if I post it in each supported device's forum? I would only post it in one, but in my experience users don't tend to check similar device's forums very often. (Unless of course you just want to copy and paste my original and sticky it in them for me)

On a side note I'm glad it has helped you, and so many other users out!

dkl1 and Mikestony like this.
  25. Mikestony

VIP Member

Well, I think if I copy/paste a new thread, It will look like I started the thread (which I did) but am not the developer of it...:p follow?
    Ummm, (I'm thinking as I type), I would think if you want to post it in each of the supported device forums, then p.m. me when you are done, (or I'll just find it there), and I will sticky it.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews