• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Google Wallet?

RoadSuper

Sep 16, 2012
I've been reading some stuff about NFC and Google Wallet, which seems to be the way to use it. I have never utilized the NFC in my GS3 but it is really cool and I would love to start using it.

So I'm wondering, is Google Wallet the way to use NFC the "right way" currently? Does it really work, and is it secure and tested enough? Is it really available at all at normal places that I'd go?

Just wondering if it's something worth looking into. Thanks :D

Eric

I am rooted, and on Verizon. I will try to figure out how to get the google wallet then :D I'll report back with questions :p. I used an app that's actually available on the play store that is supposed to show locations that use the google wallet functionality and assuming that it's not out of date, there weren't many places nearby that offer it. But I am gonna get it just to try haha.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok well I just tried it and I think I screwed up...I downloaded Busy Box, and downloaded the file from that XDA page, it downloaded the wallet installer, I selected the option to restore my built.prop and now phone is off and won't turn on :eek: i only get the samsung thing and then it turns back off, even after pulling battery :O

Upvote 0
Ok well I just tried it and I think I screwed up...I downloaded Busy Box, and downloaded the file from that XDA page, it downloaded the wallet installer, I selected the option to restore my built.prop and now phone is off and won't turn on :eek: i only get the samsung thing and then it turns back off, even after pulling battery :O

What ROM are you on? Do you have a nandroid to restore?

Upvote 0
If i plug it into computer, it shows the battery icon, but when i try to power on, it only will attempt to come on one time per battery pull, and it shows the "samsung" and then that goes away then the "Galaxy SIII" comes up like normal and then when that goes off it just won't do anything else.

Upvote 0
New Problem...I re-installed rom, then the darkhorse theme, just like i did the first time, and now it reboots into the darkhorse lightning flash animation, and sticks there forever...until i pull battery...but it does the same thing every time, never gets past the flashing lightning....?? weird...

Upvote 0
Ok well I went back and did it yet AGAIN and reflashed the rom, no theme this time...eventually got it to work after a lot more hassle and frustration. It's now on and wiped clean so I really don't have time to set it all back up right now since it's very late, but I'm glad I will at least have a working phone for tomorrow! and it looks like it's gonna be repairable thank goodness lol...thought it was a gonner :p...Tomorrow when I get any free time I will work on setting up the ROM again.

If there is anything else you can think of to try again for the google wallet installing, or what I might have done wrong, let me know any ideas you might have :D.

Thanks,
Eric

Upvote 0
I assume you wiped and reset and cleared everything while in recovery before flashing?

First, make a nandroid of a good basic setup whenever you get it there.

I'll tell you how I have installed wallet with 0 failures at least four times now.
Install busybox if it isn't already, open it, it'll do it's auto-install routine. Note I don't know wtf this is exactly, but it does it and says it's happy.

Install the wallet installer, run it. Choose TW and Verison, assuming a TW rom and VZW as your carrier I believe you said. It'll install the wallet and set it up rebooting in the process. After reboot and opening it to verify it does so, run the installer again, select TW and VZW, and restore build prop, it will reboot.
Done.

I'm inclined to say if this isn't working right, there is something messed up ahead fo time causing it. It's been slick as you could ask every time I've run it while bouncing back and forth between CleanRom and CM10 for me.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hey Road,
I moved your thread here to the root forums:)

As wolf said, once you get your rom set up again, please make a nandroid backup.
And always make a backup before flashing stuff such as wallet:)

Anyhoo, as wolf said again, once you choose VZW and TW in the installer, it will change your build prop and install wallet.

After the automatic reboot, go into wallet (not the installer) and setup wallet.

After you set up wallet, you can restore your buildprop from within the installer.

It will auto reboot and you should be set to go.:)

Upvote 0
After some looking around I found that what I did was wrong was set up the busy box before I tried to run the installer. I installed the app itself and I thought that was enough but I didn't let it do it's auto update sequence stuff. I look forward to trying it again and seeing what happens :)

Upvote 0
I tried it today at a gas station and it is magical! Pretty cool stuff, although I think the guy working at the gas station thought I was crazy lol...I guess it's still very uncommon for people to actually use it.

Do you guys actually use yours normally, whenever you see it available?

Also, on many videos I have seen, they brag about how they got $10 dollars free when setting it up but I could not find this feature lol.

Upvote 0
I tried it today at a gas station and it is magical! Pretty cool stuff, although I think the guy working at the gas station thought I was crazy lol...I guess it's still very uncommon for people to actually use it.

Do you guys actually use yours normally, whenever you see it available?

Also, on many videos I have seen, they brag about how they got $10 dollars free when setting it up but I could not find this feature lol.

I would use it if it was more widespread. At this point in time, the number of merchants that use it is so few, plus many don't repair their pads if they aren't working because so few people do in fact use it.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones