• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Guide] Step-by-Step Rooting & Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

im all about ease of use...and personally CWM 6.0.1.0 does that the best...i really see little to no reason to use anything else

admittedly i dont have ANY personal experience with TWRP other than some basic fact gathering...so i don't know exactly how well it functions with kexec...but i do know how well CWM 6 works with kexec and autoflashing the kernel and its as easy as can be...

Upvote 0
OK...I rooted it per Method 2 and wanted to give you feedback for others out there.
1. When I opened ODIN and went to PDA to get the file, once I clicked on it ODIN came up and said "not responding". Don't panic, just let it sit for a few minutes and it will work fine.
2. Once you start the process, sit back and grab a book. It took me about 20 minutes for it to all go through
3. Once done, at the top of ODIN you will see a box that says "RESET". Don't do anything...you can think it is telling you to click it or reset...
4. If you decide to install EZ Recovery, here is a helpful hint. Once it pops up on your phone, swipe to the right to see the instructions. I figured it would be on the main screen and got confused.

Reactions: Rolo42
Upvote 0
Good thing you didn't get too far with the "flashing" section...because that is going to be all FUBAR over the next few days...and prepare for a boatload of "OMG IM BRICKED" posts from people unlocking their bootloaders and crack flashing without reading

Did I miss something? nevermind :) I don't even know what to do with a unlocked bootloader

Upvote 0
Just took the liberty of trying to help out with this a little bit...feel free to use it or not if you choose...i tried to mimic your chosen format as close as possible

R
ecovery

Recovery is special bootable partition that is a part of every Android phone. It is designed to allow the repair (or "recovery") of the current installation of Android, or to install official (signed) updates to the phone. In the root world we install a custom version of recovery that allows more control over the users data, and to install customized versions of Android (ROMs) or modifications to the OS (Mods).

There are many methods, and different versions of custom recoveries for our devices, but this forum recommends the following method (must be rooted):

1. Download EZ Recovery for VZW Galaxy S3 (Link)
2. Open EZ-Recovery
3. Allow Superuser access
4. Check Recovery (not Hybrid or Stock)
5. Choose a recovery
- Either CWM 6.0.1.0 or TWRP 2.2.0 are recommended
6. Click Flash

You now have replaced your stock (limited) recovery with a customized version to allow you to install customized ROMs and Mods.

Upvote 0
Just trying to help again...as you can guess im bored as hell...figured this could go after we get instructions for flashing in

ROMs

A ROM is a customized version of Android built by a developer. They can be A. Based on pre-existing version of Android or B. Based from Android Source code (AOSP or Android Open Source Project).

Custom ROMs often contain features not found in the version of Android that cones pre-installed on your device, and often strip out some (or all) of the carrier specific apps (commonly known as "bloat") that come pre-installed (such as VZ Navigator).

Here you will find custom ROMs specifically made for the VZW Version of the Samsung Galaxy S III with a breif synopsis of the ROMs features, as well as a link back to the developer's "home thread" because very few developers will be posting their ROMs here directly and you can go to A. Download the ROM and B. Get support straight from the developer.

*The order does not indicate any sort of preference or endorsement by Android Forums or the thread author, I simply started at the XDA Forums and went down the forum in order of threads with most recent post.*

*Download links are not provided on purpose. Many devs like to keep "official" threads for their ROMs to keep things easier for them*

The ROMs (A Work in Progress)
***PLEASE read each specific ROMs instructions for installation! Not all ROMs are created equal, and not all ROMs share the same instructions. For the safety of your phone and your sanity, READ the instructions and TAKE YOUR TIME!***

TouchWiz Based ROMs

Here you will find ROMs based on Samsung's TouchWiz framework. They will include many of the features that you will find in the stock build of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) that was factory installed. They will often include additional features, themed appearances, performance tweaks, and the removal of "bloat."

These ROMs are generally more user friendly and easier for people to become accustomed to.

Author(s): Team Synergy (eshelon, TrevE, Ziggy471, Virus, Mr. X)
Home Thread: ☆ ★ | ROM | SynergyROM VZW S3 | ICS 4.0.4 | Fully Optimized | NIGHTLIES |★ ☆ - xda-developers
ROM Highlights:
Including, but not limited to

Click Show to Expand
-Ziggy / Mr.X kernel coming soon!!
-ICS 4.0.4 - Latest I535VRALG1 Base
-Fully Deodexed, Zipaligned, Busybox, Superuser
-Debloated
-Team Synergy's custom init.d scripts for insane performance
-Blocked Samsung’s "root checker" service (We killed it so well that Device Status shows "Not -available" rather than "Modified")
-EXT4 performance tweaks for moar speed
-Be gone ongoing WiFi connect notification. Nobody likes you. (Won't take effect until after first reboot)
-15 notifcation toggles
-4-in-1 reboot menu
-Jelly Bean Animations
-Fully working Google Now with Jelly Bean voice search and offline dictation
-4x5 Launcher with up to 9 homescreens
-Sony Bravia Engine
-Hold volume to skip tracks when screen is off
-WiFi Tether working right out of the box. Just tap and go. (Note: This refers to the app named -WiFi Tether, not Mobile Hotspot as the latter is a subscription VZW service)
-Customized mounting scripts (see Q&A)
-I9300 boot animations with disabled sound
-4G and WiFi speed tweaks
-Verizon OTAs blocked
-Synergized build.prop
-Unlocked settings for camera, browser, and Find my mobile
-Exchange policy disabled (your IT policy may prohibit this, if so flash this in recovery to get back to stock)
-Fully integrated search (The newer VZW GS3 base removes this thanks to yet another lawsuit from Apple, so we retained the old search)
-Ability to set WiFi transmit power (see Q&A)
-Tons more tweaks and enhancements

Author(s): Beanstown106
Home Thread: [Rom] Bean's Custom Stock Rom Build 9 (50gb db, Themed,non kexec Kernel, JB Anims) - xda-developers
ROM Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
*Based off of NoSympathy's Deodexed OTA VRALG1*
*Imoseyons 0.1 Lean Kernel*
*Overclockable to 1.9ghz*
*CM9 Style K-Exec*
*Re-Themed To be a little ICS/JB Aosp Looking*
*Took Out All Verizon WiFi notification and Popups*
*More Icons in Launcher*
*Wifi Tether & Mobile Hotspot Both work*
*True Init.D Support*
*Custom Boot Animation Support*
*Enabled Verizons Mobile Hotspot*
*Took out Fading/Increasing Ringtones*
*Removed Annoying Location Icon*
*Wifi Tether*
*Enabled All Rotations*
*CPU script*
*15 toggle mod*
*Themed Toggles and 1% Battery*
*Center Clock flashable mod*
*Jelly-Bean Animation's*
*Added Ringtones MIUI/CM*
*JB Keyboard*
*Build.prop Tweaks*
* 4-way Reboot Menu*
*Zipaligned*
*Bravia Engine*
*Alot of Apps Install to /data for Easy Removal*
**50Gb Free Dropbox**

Author(s): scroslor
Home Thread: [ROM][8/21] - CleanROM 2.0 -★| Treat Your Phone to the Very Best! | VRALG1 |★- - xda-developers
ROM Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
  • Complete Aroma Installer! Build your own ROM the way YOU want it!
    • Choose Launchers: Stock Launcher, Apex Launcher, Nova Launcher
    • Choose File Managers: ES File Manager, Stock My Files, None
    • Choose Verizon Apps: My Verizon, Visual Voicemail, VZ Navigator, VT Tones, VZ Apps Installer
    • Choose Samsung Apps: All Share, Color, Kies, Media Hub, My Files, Mobile Print, S Memo, S Suggest, S Voice
    • Choose Misc Apps: Ad Blocking Host File, AccuWeather Widger, Polaris Office Viewer, Yahoo Widgets, VPN Client
  • Odexed with Performance and Battery Optimizations!
  • 15 Button Toggle and Unlocked Native Tether!
  • Extended Reboot Menu!
  • Full init.d support!
  • Zip Align on boot!
  • No boot sound!
  • Stock Samsung Boot Animation! No ugly VZW animation!
  • ES File Explorer!
  • No WiFi Pop Up Thanks to eschelon !

Author(s): nosympathy
Home Thread: [Rom][7.26.2012][VRALF2/VRALG1]NoSympathy's Stock OTA 100% deodexed, zipaligned rom. - xda-developers
ROM Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
*Based Off A System Dump Provided to me by invisiblek of the latest OTA
*100% Deodexed including SMS app and Visual Voicemail. Access you SMS app from the lockscreen again.
*Rooted with latest Superuser.apk and SU Binary. Also Latest busybox installed.
*100% Zipaligned
*Only thing removed is the guide videos as that saved 80MB and I doubt anybody even knows they exist.

Author(s): zedomax
Home Thread: [ROM]HighOnAndroid ROM v.0.2! [Custom Bootanimation][Wifi Hack][JB Animations] - xda-developers
ROM Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
- Built off Stock ROM (USB Kies and everything else works from stock)
- Jelly Bean Boot Animations
- Google Now
- Speed tweaks for WiFi
- Power saving features
- Graphic acceleration for your photos/videos
- Deodexed/Zipaligned
- SuperSU
- More coming soon! (Let me know what you really want!)
- I left all bloatware on for now (slowly removing one by one, please tell me which one you think absolutely isn’t needed)

Author(s): remf4i
Home Thread: ★rom★ REDEMPTION ROM 2.0 AROMA Installer ★8/17/12 - xda-developers
ROM Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
Rooted
Deodexed
Bashed
Busybox
Zip aligned
Extended Reboot Menu
Disabled Scrolling Cache
Disabled Increasing Ringtone
Jelly Bean Animations
Google now
Init.d Support
Speed Tweaks
Ram Optimizations
Build.prop tweaks
Sony Bravia Engine
xLoud
Battery tweaks (Battery should be amazing !!!)
Sd card sped up
Memory optimized
Smooth scrolling tweaks
Touch responsiveness
Gps lock
Custom notification 15 toggles mod
Data speed tweak
White themed systemui ,framework.res
White themed phone and dialer
White themed contacts
White themed notifications and toggles
Fast Smooth Stable
Im sure Im missing some things
Android Open Source Project (AOSP) Based ROMs

Here you will find ROMs based on Google source code. These ROMs strive to provide an experience close to that found on the Nexus Family of devices. This is commonly known as Vanilla, or simply AOSP.

Some of these ROMs will provide a version of Android built exactly as intended for the Nexus devices, while others will take what Google has done and attempt to improve on it by adding features and performance optimizations.

These ROMs are often in experimental states and are not always in stable form. Take caution when installing these ROMs and pay attention to if they are labeled as "stable builds" or "nightlies" as "nightlies" include the latest changes to the code, and can cause stability issues

Author(s): CyanogenMod Team
Home Thread: [OFFICIAL]CM10 Official Nightlies for D2VZW GSIII - xda-developers
ROM Status: Nightly Builds
About: The official release of CM10 for the VZW Galaxy S3

Author(s): Team Kang
Home Thread: [UNOFFICIAL][ROM]AOKP-JB for the d2vzw 8-20-2012 - xda-developers
About: AOSP based ROM that is in nightly status, but not yet received an official release from Team Kang

Author(s): Euroskank
Home Thread: [CM10][Jellybro] D2VZW Nightly Kangs - xda-developers
About: Based on CM10, but incorporates the latest fixes/mods/features/patches/etc that may not have been approved for release in the official CyanogenMod releases

Author(s): Invisiblek
Home Thread: [Rom][Unofficial] JellyBean (CM10) VZW (Updated Nightlies) - xda-developers
ROM Status: Semi Nightly Builds
About: Based on CM10, but incorporates the latest fixes/mods/features/patches/etc that may not have been approved for release in the official CyanogenMod releases
. Invisiblek has abandoned nightly builds since CM10 has gone official, but from time to time if a major improvement is made, but not yet approved for official release he will create a build

****MORE COMING SOON****

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
Metfanant.....great information. Question though, why is CM10 not listed under the ROM's? I am new so I am sure I am missing something.

One more question. Is there a certain sequence to all of this? Here is what I mean. I know you root the phone first, then do you install the ROM, then the NANDROID backup then, then the bootloader?...etc?

THanks

Upvote 0
First ima Noob.
I rooted with Odin(Fairly sure if this)

I haven't flashed a phone before so if I do, do i really want any updates from VZW if they come out? (Since I'm using a 'better' version of the OS it seems like I won't need to worry about VZW.)

If yes, I will need to flash back to stock before installing VZW update, right?

How do I keep the VZW update from updating?

If I don't want to flash a custom ROM but just remove some bloat wear, where do I read about just doing that?

Can someone refer me to where to read about saving a file for recovery? I have titanium back up but i don't understand where the files are? And I always have a 'didnt back up completely' message in the morning as the schedule is set for 2am.

Uuugh, so much to learn but I'm searching, reading, and watching YouTube vids as I don't want you guys to link me to that noob video I once saw.

Upvote 0
i apologize for not seeing some questions since the thread got stickied lol

Metfanant.....great information. Question though, why is CM10 not listed under the ROM's? I am new so I am sure I am missing something.
CM10 isn't listed because i started with the TouchWiz based ROMs...

i did this for a few reasons

1. they are more user friendly
2. currently there are some issues with AOSP based ROMs that our guide is not quite setup to help with yet...i will however take some time tomorrow and edit my "ROMs" section to include them

One more question. Is there a certain sequence to all of this? Here is what I mean. I know you root the phone first, then do you install the ROM, then the NANDROID backup then, then the bootloader?...etc?

THanks

ok here is the BASIC order at which you should probably go...id like to get a chance to talk with Rolo about formatting this thread in the best way possible but here goes...

**Now while this is a general rule of thumb that you can follow for any Android phone, always make sure you read directions for specific devices as things can change..but this is the "path" i would send a VZW SGS3 owner on**

1. Root:Many different ways to do this now...i suggest the pre-rooted G1 ODIN Flash because it includes the new baseband as well

2. Recovery: Many ways to do this as well, EZ Recovery is still the easiest
2b. Make a stock Nandroid in case anything goes wrong and you want to get back to stock(i dont make Nandroids and have never used them...but you really should)
3. Unlock Bootloader: many ways to do this, but i suggest the 1-click tool at this point especially for noobs

4. Flash (ROMs, MODs, Kernels etc..)
4b. Make a Nandroid: if everything is working right its nice to have a clean install of your new ROM handy in case anything goes wrong later
First ima Noob.
I rooted with Odin(Fairly sure if this)
well the program is called ODIN so you cant miss it :D

I haven't flashed a phone before so if I do, do i really want any updates from VZW if they come out? (Since I'm using a 'better' version of the OS it seems like I won't need to worry about VZW.)
No, you generally do not want any of the updates from VZW...

ESPECIALLY now that we have our unlocked bootloader...there is a VERY GOOD chance that whenever an OTA comes out for our phones (i would say 99.9% chance with the JB update) that VZW will sneak a new bootloader into the update...its VERY LIKELY that installing said bootloader will completely brick our device..

If yes, I will need to flash back to stock before installing VZW update, right?

well here is the beauty of being a root user...i have not taken an OTA from VZW since the Froyo update on the Droid X in September of 2010..let me explain...

1. new versions of OS's are often leaked out...developer builds, carrier rejected builds etc...these often find their way into the hands of developers who get them on our phones...

this happened with the Droid X Gingerbread builds like crazy...us rooted users were running OFFICIAL Moto/VZW builds of GB something like 6+ months before it went public

2. official OTA updates ALWAYS go out to soak testers before it goes live...at that time developers will be looking to get copies of the soak test updates from testers...in the case of our phones we will likely get either a pre-rooted ODIN file, or a pre-rooted .zip within a day or two of the soak test starting, and we will have official JellyBean before it goes live

How do I keep the VZW update from updating?
often custom ROMs have the files needed to even download the OTA removed...so your phone will never know there is an update...

If I don't want to flash a custom ROM but just remove some bloat wear, where do I read about just doing that?
you can read about it right here..questions that you guys ask make these Guide Threads easier...because we know what to put in the threads...

Can someone refer me to where to read about saving a file for recovery? I have titanium back up but i don't understand where the files are? And I always have a 'didnt back up completely' message in the morning as the schedule is set for 2am.

recovery and titanium are two different animals...so we need some more info as to what youre trying to accomplish

Uuugh, so much to learn but I'm searching, reading, and watching YouTube vids as I don't want you guys to link me to that noob video I once saw.
ask away...thats what these threads are for

Edit: added a section to my above post differentiating between the TouchWiz ROMs and the AOSP ROMs...i will start to add the AOSP ROMs tomorrow when i have some time

Edit 2: added a few AOSP ROMs to the list and updated the "home thread" input for the TouchWiz ROMs as well...MUCH more is needed to be explained about the AOSP ROMs and potential risks associated with them, but no fear we will get there!

Upvote 0
was bored again...so i got to typing...

K
ernels

The kernel is what allows your phone's hardware to communicate with installed software and vice a versa. Because of this many performance increases can be had by installing custom kernels

***only VZW based kernels are currently posted. In theory, with our now unlocked bootloader kernels designed for other variants of our phone should work, but they can introduce problems as well***

Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (TouchWiz)

Author(s): imoseyon
Home Thread: [kernel][touchwiz] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (8/21 - v0.3) - Verizon Galaxy S III Development - RootzWiki
Kernel Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
  • Unnecessary components removed for lean and fast kernel.
  • Compiled using latest Linaro compiler with additional optimizations.
  • Latest Linux updates applied (currently up to 3.0.41).
  • Ramdisk optimizations.
  • OC'ed to 1.9Ghz (limited to 1.51Ghz at boot, use an app to change max freq), and all frequencies undervolted
  • SIO I/O scheduler default
  • Fast Charge (toggle via the "ffc" script - open terminal, type ffc then enter, plug in phone via USB)
  • On-demand governor backported from Linux 3.5
  • InteractiveX V3 - optimized for S3, screen_off_maxfreq sysfs interface (default set to 810Mhz). (Note: I didn't change the name to interactivex in the kernel this time)
  • Auto-brightness tweak - slightly brighter than stock kernel in some instances where it gets too dark.
  • Fixed governor switching bug where switching from ondemand to another governor could keep cpu1 offline until you switch back.
Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (AOSP JellyBean)

Author(s): imoseyon
Home Thread: [Kernel] [Aosp] [JB] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (V0.7 BETA, 8/20/12) - Verizon Galaxy S III Development - RootzWiki
Kernel Highlights:

Click Show to Expand

• Unnecessary components removed for lean and fast kernel.
  • Compiled using latest Linaro compiler with additional optimizations.
  • Latest Linux updates applied (currently up to 3.0.41).
  • Some commits from latest CM10 kernel cherry-picked and merged.
  • Ramdisk optimizations.
  • OC'ed to 1.9Ghz (limited to 1.51Ghz at boot, use an app to change max freq), and all frequencies undervolted
  • SIO I/O scheduler default
  • Fast Charge (toggle via the "ffc" script - open terminal, type ffc then enter, plug in phone via USB)
  • On-demand governor backported from Linux 3.5
  • InteractiveX V3 - optimized for S3, screen_off_maxfreq sysfs interface (default set to 810Mhz). (Note: I didn't change the name to interactivex in the kernel this time)
  • Auto-brightness tweak - slightly brighter than stock kernel in some instances where it gets too dark.
  • GPU OC'ed to 480Mhz (credit faux)
  • Fixed governor switching bug where switching from ondemand to another governor could keep cpu1 offline until you switch back.
CleanKERNEL (TouchWiz)

Author(s): scrosler
Home Thread: [Kernel][8/24] - CleanKERNEL 1.0 -★| CPU OC 1.89 | GPU OC 300/500 | UV | VRALG1 |★- - xda-developers
Kernel Highlights:

Click Show to Expand

• CPU Overclockable to 1.89 GHZ (vs 1.5GHZ stock).
  • CPU Underclockable to 192MHZ (vs 384MHZ stock).
  • The CPU comes clocked at normal Samsung specs of 384MHZ low and 1.5GHZ high. You will need an application like System Tuner or Set CPU to overlcock it. This can also be modified by advanced users in the init.rc but is not recommended or supported. See first two blocks of init.rc for details.
  • GPU Overclocked at 300/500 MHZ
  • Under-volted just a few milli-volts to help save battery.
  • There are no fancy governors or other such things. Its a modified stock kernel, plain and simple.
  • This kernel should be compatible with any VRAGL1 based ROM such as (of course) CleanROM and Nosympathy's stock rooted base. Good chance it will work well with Team Synergy's ROM too but I have not tested that ROM but its a VRALG1 Based ROM.
  • If your ROM has non Samsung Boot Animation you will more than likely loose it! This WILL be the case for Synergy ROM!
  • This kernel will NOT work with any AOSP, AOKP, CM9, CM10, etc based ROMS! If the ROM is not a based on official Verizon VRAGL1 ROM then dont flash this kernel!
ZiggyKernel (TouchWiz)
**Only Available as part of SynergyROM**

Author(s): Ziggy
Home Thread: ☆ ★ | ROM | SynergyROM VZW S3 | ICS 4.0.4 | Fully Optimized | NIGHTLIES |★ ☆ - xda-developers
Kernel Highlights:

Click Show to Expand
lagfree governor
OC up to 1.9
undervolted
ck1 patchset
ntfs
kernel debug off
other config tweaks
compiler optimizations

Upvote 0
As I read & benefit from/thru the boring life of Mefanant....
(said with a grin)
I ask if there is any issue with matching Kernals to ROM. We have 5 or 6 of each so how does someone know not to use "this" Kernal if you are using "that" ROM?

Edit: I've noticed that some Kernals give a short disclaimer about what it should not be used with. I'm guessing after that matching is trial and error?

Upvote 0
As I read & benefit from/thru the boring life of Mefanant....
(said with a grin)
I ask if there is any issue with matching Kernals to ROM. We have 5 or 6 of each so how does someone know not to use "this" Kernal if you are using "that" ROM?

Edit: I've noticed that some Kernals give a short disclaimer about what it should not be used with. I'm guessing after that matching is trial and error?

never flash an AOSP Kernel with a TW ROM and vice versa

Upvote 0

Recovery

1. Download EZ Recovery for VZW Galaxy S3 (Link)
2. Open EZ-Recovery
3. Allow Superuser access
4. Check Recovery (not Hybrid or Stock)
5. Choose a recovery
- Either CWM 6.0.1.0 or TWRP 2.2.0 are recommended
6. Click Flash

You now have replaced your stock (limited) recovery with a customized version to allow you to install customized ROMs and Mods.

Metfanant, Before I start installing ROMs & Kernals, I'd like to keep a backup of my stock software before the experimenting, although I'll probably just try one or two. It sounds like the EZ Recovery will keep one for me? if not, how do i save one?

For choosing the recovery in step 5, is it an option in the EZ Recovery App or is this something I have to get elsewhere?

It also sounds like I am not using or connected to my PC if I'm going to Play store for the EZ App.

Upvote 0
the second Nandroid is just a backup of the newly installed ROM in a "virgin" state...nice to have in case you mess something up...you dont have to go all the way back to stock...

I went into EZ Recovery and picked the CWM and then hit the REBOOT NOW. Once to the main screen I picked the backup. Is this what's considered as the Nandroid backup?

On a side note, when I go to pick the Synergy ROM...it takes me to a page and I can pick a .zip file or a .zip.md5 file. What's the difference?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones