• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Guide] Step-by-Step Rooting & Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little tip for you...in step 3...wait about 10 minutes after the step I have highlighted in red:
in other words . once flashing is complete, wait 10 minutes, then disconnect the usb cord...follow?

Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
Uncheck the "Auto Reboot" box in ODIN ***VERY IMPORTANT***
Flash the recovery of your choice using ODIN v3.07 (See here for guide on flashing)
Once the flashing is complete, disconnect your USB cable, take out your battery, then put it back in
Boot phone into Recovery mode (See here for how-to)
At the end of this step you should now be looking at your custom recovery screen (if you don't see it you will have to do the step over again)

Upvote 0
After you install the recovery in step 3, you will use the recovery to flash the file in step 4.
In other words, the file you already have on your sd card, can only be flashed via recovery. (recovery was installed via Odin in step 3).
Now you have recovery installed when step 3 was done.
So in step 4, you will be using recovery to flash the file that is on your sd card.

Hope that makes sense:)

Upvote 0
After you install the recovery in step 3, you will use the recovery to flash the file in step 4.
In other words, the file you already have on your sd card, can only be flashed via recovery. (recovery was installed via Odin in step 3).
Now you have recovery installed when step 3 was done.
So in step 4, you will be using recovery to flash the file that is on your sd card.

Hope that makes sense:)

Where and how do I flash this file in step 4? Maybe I should just watch that video because I was understanding that, and maybe I'm not understanding it because it is written?

Upvote 0
There is a link in step 3 on how to get into recovery.
But basically this, power down phone, then while holding the home/volume up/and power buttons all at the same time until a screen comes on, then let go of the buttons.
You will now be in recovery.
I installed TWRP recovery.
In recovery you will flash, or, install the file. Choose install in the menu.
Then you will navigate to your sd card and find the file and choose the file to flash, or, install it.

Upvote 0
Booting into Recovery on the S3 would be something like booting from a Windows Installation disc on a PC. Recovery is a no frills utility OS that lets you do things like make and restore complete backups (which we call 'nandroids') of your phone, its apps, and all its settings, or you can flash files (install them on the phone), and a few other things like clearing cache and memory, etc.

But to have root access and be able to install custom ROMs and make these nandroid backups the Recovery firmware that ships with the phone won't be up to the task. So custom recovery firmware is used.

The two most common ones are TWRP ( Team Win Recovery Project) and Clockworkmod. Each seem to have their following of users. I used Clockworkmod for a long time, but I just started using TWRP on my S3. I think I like it better, because of some of its features.

Upvote 0
Once you get rooted and all your settings the way you want them and your apps set up, don't forget to use Recovery to make a nandroid backup. Lots of people get into flashing custom ROMs and stuff and forget to do that. Then if something goes wrong, and you don't have a nandroid to restore, you have to start all over again at the beginning. With a nandroid, you can restore it from recovery, and in a few minutes you are right back in time to when you made it, with everything just the way it was. I wish PCs had the equivalent function built in! It's a real time saver! :)

Upvote 0
try Home Power volume down

Will you PLEASE help? Following that video on YouTube, it said pull the battery out once I seen the blue reset in Odin? I did that and put it back in and now on the phone I see downloading. Here is a screenshot of Odin. Would my new phone still be fine?

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2231/70635470.png

and now I see pass and no fails. So, pull the battery?

Upvote 0
Flashing custom recovery. So as of right now, pull the battery then put it back in then wait 10mins before disconnecting the USB cable and once 10mins is up then disconnect then continue? or wrong?

After you flashed the recovery, which your screenshot says you did, wait 10 minutes. But, since Odin said "Pass" you should be fine.
Pull the battery, put it right back in, then boot into recovery by using Home/Volume UP/Power.
Then, in recovery, flash the SU/bootloader/fixed file thing:)

Upvote 0
After you flashed the recovery, which your screenshot says you did, wait 10 minutes. But, since Odin said "Pass" you should be fine.
Pull the battery, put it right back in, then boot into recovery by using Home/Volume UP/Power.
Then, in recovery, flash the SU/bootloader/fixed file thing:)

I have SuperSu under apps now that says no apps configured. What could I do now?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones