• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Help! My Galaxy Nexus Soft-Bricked following Bootloader Unlock

Flyspook

Lurker
Dec 23, 2011
SITUATION: My Galaxy Nexus (Verizon LTE) phone is stuck in a boot loop following my attempt to unlock the bootloader. It continues to power cycle after booting to the screen with "Google" and the unlock symbol below it. The only other thing I've been able to do is get it into the ODIN Mode using the Volume Up+Volume Down+Power But, but it sticks there saying "Downloading.....Do not turn off target!! If I hit Start/Power it goes right back into the boot loop. I can only assume the image has been wiped or corrupted which means my GNex is not in Debug mode anymore.

BACKGROUND: Following the steps on a Droid Life video how to unlock the bootloader on my GNex, I downloaded and configured Android SDK, Fastboot, and loaded the Samsung USB drivers for my phone. Everything went perfectly up until the initial reboot boot looped in that colorful boot up that it does. It went on for 10+ minutes before I decided to unplug the USB cable and eventually pulled the battery. Although this might not have been the proper thing to do, here I am. :(

EXPECTATION: Recover my GNex to a functional state. I've been mulling through forums related to my same issue without much luck. I've downloaded the GNEx image and USB driver for the Verizon GNex from Samsung. The USB Driver is installed. Fastboot is installed, but I now get the error that it

Reactions: PleaseBreathe
Being that it boots into Odin mode, I would think you could use Odin to flash a new rom to it and get it to boot up. It may be worth a shot anyway. Some quick googling came up with this: [Odin] ROM Dark AOSP 4.0.3 (updated 12/24)

But that is for 4.0.3, which isn't released yet. You could try loading that via Odin, or try to find a 4.0.2 file for Odin if you prefer only to run the official release. The instructions at that link should suffice for how to go about it.

Upvote 0
You were not supposed to pull the battery. It clearly said that would soft brick the phone. You have to flash the stock recovery images to fix your phone. Next time DO NOT pull the battery. First boot takes awhile, and I found that if you replug it back into the computer it gets it out of the boot quicker(after you do the adb commands to unlock it and everything)

Upvote 0
I did the same thing at first, and you can fix it without having to flash anything.

You should still be able to enter the bootloader screen by holding Volume Up + Volume Down + Power after a battery pull.

Boot to the bootloader and re-lock the bootloader (fastboot oem lock), then reboot again. The phone should still be in a boot-loop here.

Boot to the bootloader again, and unlock the bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) following the normal instructions. Let it run for as long as needs. It will take a long time, but eventually will boot normally.

Upvote 0
Hi Flyspook. I had the same issue as you, got nervous/excited and pulled the USB cable.

Does anyone know if I am screwed? I did not enable USB Debugging.... I am depressed.

I can get to the 2 menus using "Power + Vol Down," or "Power + Vol Up & Down" but my computer won't recognize it when I use the command prompts to adb devices..

please HELP, iam new to this.

Upvote 0
I am experiencing nearly the same issue. I just want to restore my verizon galaxy nexus to factory settings. I've downloaded the image from here: Factory Images Released for Verizon Galaxy Nexus [ITL41D] – Droid Life

But how do I use odin to flash the image? I haven't been able to get fastboot to work, but I have odin communicating with the phone. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will find a way to repay your kindness.

Upvote 0
I did the same thing at first, and you can fix it without having to flash anything.

You should still be able to enter the bootloader screen by holding Volume Up + Volume Down + Power after a battery pull.

Boot to the bootloader and re-lock the bootloader (fastboot oem lock), then reboot again. The phone should still be in a boot-loop here.

Boot to the bootloader again, and unlock the bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) following the normal instructions. Let it run for as long as needs. It will take a long time, but eventually will boot normally.

Tried for the past 4 hours to fix the loop
fantastic thanks so much for posting this you saved me from deep depression

Phil

Upvote 0
So if anyone could provide some assistance....I could sure use it. I have a Mac running Lion and a GN (LTE) that is now in a boot loop. I was going to try and play with JB and did not read through like i should have. I pulled the battery thinking it was stuck and now i am stuck. I have the bootloader unlock and can get into clockworkmod but I do not know where to go from here.

I have been searching for two hours now but unsure where to go for directions. If anyone can provide assistance please let me know.

Thanks

Upvote 0
So if anyone could provide some assistance....I could sure use it. I have a Mac running Lion and a GN (LTE) that is now in a boot loop. I was going to try and play with JB and did not read through like i should have. I pulled the battery thinking it was stuck and now i am stuck. I have the bootloader unlock and can get into clockworkmod but I do not know where to go from here.

I have been searching for two hours now but unsure where to go for directions. If anyone can provide assistance please let me know.

Thanks

Well, you're not alone. Some people have had luck reflashing the JB rom after wiping again. You might get by with restoring a nandroid although that has failed for many. You may have luck flashing another rom alogether (mixed results). In that event you'd either have to still have a rom on the sdcard from previous dealings or be willing to adb push one to the sdcard and then try wiping/loading it from CWM. The final way out is to fastboot flash the stock img's.

We have a thread going on this issue presently in the stickies of this forum. You may get some ideas from it:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...-root/573915-jelly-bean-boot-up-problems.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones