• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Help -- returning to stock with Mobile Odin

Slubgob

Dec 8, 2011
My USB port bit the dust, Verizon's sent me a replacement, so I have to return the first phone to stock without a USB cable.

I've been following this guide. The BootUnlocker works fine part works fine.

I can't get Mobile Odin to flash the recovery, though. I have the tar file (VzW-PDA-ODIN-I515EL03_ICL53F_signed.tar) the site linked to, and it looks like it flashes OK -- the phone boots into recover, it says it's flashing, and it reboots. I go through the log in screens like it's a clean install, but I still have JBSourcery and it's kernel installed.

Mobile Odin seems to wipe out my recovery too (ROM Manager) and not replace it with anything.

The most I seem to be doing is creating more "0" folders nested inside themselves.

Do I need a different tar file for Jellybean, since I suspect the one I have is Jellybean? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

Maybe it's something else?

My other thought is that I think I have a stock backup of ICS (4.0.2 or 4.0.3), so I could get ROM Manager back on the phone, reinstall, then relock with BootUnlocker. Would the ICS backup cause any issues with the JB bootloader?

Thanks for your help -- I really don't want to get stuck with the fee for sending back a non-stock phone!

Mobile Odin didn't work.

So I rooted and installed CWM on the new phone, made a backup, transferred the backup to the old phone and restored. Voila -- nearly stock phone.

The icing on the cake would be if I could replace CWM with the stock recovery -- again, without the USB cable.

Is there any way to do this?

I was hoping I could just find the correct recovery file, use MobileOdin to flash it, and then unroot. But I can't find such a file -- does it exist?

Upvote 0
Slick -- thank you!

I didn't need to unlock and the recovery took fine.

I then used the unroot option on Chainfire's Super SU to unroot (had a moment of panic while the phone hung on the Google logo for a while, walked away and had another cup of coffee and came back to the Nexus X glowing), reconfirmed the unrooted status with ScaryAlien, and uninstalled anything suspicious looking.

I believe I am back at bone stock. Factory reset and back to Big Red you go!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones