• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] How can I achieve these on Verizon Samsung S5?

ergalthema

Nov 12, 2009
I have Verizon S5 with towelroot, Safestrap, nandroid backup, Titanium Backup, Xposed, Wanam

I've made some progress debloating and customizing, but there are some more things I'd like to do:

1. Remove Quick Settings from notification panel - In landscape view, there is simply not enough screen real estate for the actual notifications because the Quick Settings (and 'clear notifications' row) take up half the screen. I would like to remove them or have them scroll up and off screen when scrolling through notifications. Can this even be done with a custom ROM?

2. Tether without pin lock screen. FoxFi worked fine for me unrooted, except that I had to use the PIN lockscreen. The instruction on PdaNet's site (change certificate to Wi-fi, etc.) did not work. What is the most popular way to tether with S5 root?

3. (I figured this one out - was just changing the color of Quick Settings in Wanam.)

4. Bypass Samsung lockscreen before DynamicNotifications - Not sure if this is possible. Sometime, when I turn the phone on, it goes to the stock lock screen before switching to DynamicNotifications. I saw that DynamicNotifications shows up as a module in Xposed, but it just said something about disabling a message that I don't recall getting.

5. A better dialer and contacts - any recommendations on getting solid, vanilla-like Dialer and Contacts? I tried a couple apps from the Play Store, but they were kind of sloppy in one way or another.

6. No auto play music when turning on radio in car - When I turn on my bluetooth receiver in the car, the last track always starts playing - even if I paused it before I turned off the car last. I kind of wish it would only continue playing if it was playing when the receiver was disconnected. Not a big deal, but thought I'd ask.

7. Update phone when checking exchange emails on computer - When I read, archive, delete, etc. emails in Outlook, they continue to pile up in Email app until I open the email app. Seems like my Galaxy Nexus didn't do that.

8. Remove TouchWiz blue from everything - all the menus and apps still have that Samsung blue theme. I'm not sure how to remove that.

9. Reduce icons on notification bar - I would like to remove the Bluetooth icon. There is a blank icon when I use Rotation Locker in the background to keep everything landscape while I'm in the car. It looks bad having the space between icons and I'd like to get rid of it. There is a battery icon that appears when the battery is charged. I'd like to remove that as well.

10. Make folders only one icon on display - figured this one out.

11. Remove battery icon that appears when S5 is fully charged - There is a white battery with "100" on it that appears when the battery is charged. That makes 3 battery icons total when it's charged. Ridiculous!

12. Disable camera shutter sound and boot sound - Wanam has a setting for this. I have it checked, but the camera and boot still make their sounds.

some of the things are possible lol ill answer each to the best of my knowledge, hopefully someone else can shed light on the grey areas lol

1. It is possible to do, not sure if any custom rom has that as an option tho. But you can do it by editing some xml files in the SystemUI.apk found in system/priv-app directory. Will need a way of decompiling the app and some xml editing experience so you can navigate yourself through the apk file.

2. Im not sure of this because i never use tethering.. no need in my daily routine..

3. Same answer as #1, can be done, not sure if its been done, must edit xml files in the SystemUI.apk

4. again, not sure of this one, but i would suggest just trying to minimalize the affects of the device's stock lockscreen to lower the chances of it pre-loading before the custom lockscreen

5. it is possible.. a lot of times ppl will make themed versions of the stock dialer & mms apps to "look" more like aosp/vanilla, but if its not for your exact framework build than odds are it wont work, so you'll need to transer the theme to your personal rom's dialer etc..

i do remember someone porting the aosp dialer and mms, but there were certain issues like no working MMS etc.. no idea if this has been done for the s5 or even 4.4 based roms yet..

6. I just checked the stock samsung music player and cant seem to find any setting for enabling this.. 1 thing i can suggest is.. sometimes car radio's auto send the play command when auto connecting to bluetooth devices, so maybe/hopefully there is a setting on your car stereo to disable this command..?

7. this can be done but again, it's an apk modification so if nobody has done it yet for the s5 then you may need to try modding apk's yourself.. I personally dont use that either so i wont be much help..

8. thats just samsungs 'theme', very difficult to completely remove without breaking things.. but most app's can be themed with a little know-how and the right guides ;)

9. it is possible to remove the battery percentage, the option is found under settings/battery, the very top checkbox option is to show battery percentage, uncheck this :D, as for other icons it really depends.. also falls under the idea of modifying apk files etc.. or xposed maybe?

10. im not sure but possibly by also modifying the apk file to only show 1 img.. but you might not be able to pick what icon you see after the fact..

11. that would also require editing xml files, in either systemUI or framework.. or maybe an xposed module?

12. my camera actually has the option to turn off shutter sound built in.. but i know it was a 'mod' for previous devices.. most likely you'll need to edit a line in the csc folder and possibly edit the camera app..

are you sure you are scrolling all the way down in camera settings? :D

as for boot sound it can be removed, it's located in the rom's directory 'system/media/audio/ui/poweron.ogg'

hope my answers helped somewhat.. im sure a lot of the things i couldn't answer can be solved with the xposed modules or by another person with a little more experience :D

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
are you sure you are scrolling all the way down in camera settings?

I don't see an option for sound in the S5 camera settings. However, I used Tasker to turn the sound off when I open the app. That's the best fix I have right now.

Look into custom roms... they will be able to do most of what you want.

The last I heard, because of the locked bootloader, custom ROMs can't remove TouchWiz (yet, anyway).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones