1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] How to restore apps on clockworkmod recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thefobjang, Aug 21, 2012.

1. thefobjang

thefobjang Lurker

Hi. This is my first time posting up a new thread but I don't know if this is going to work fine.

I have a Verizon galaxy nexus and I just flashed jelly bean on clockworkmod reocvery.
    I have backed up files before updating to jellybean but now I don't know how to get my apps.
    Is it possible to back up only apps that I had previously or no?

If you can, can you please explain it to me thoroughly but simple to understand?

Thank you for your time reading this post. I hope you can help me! Appreciate it.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

you need to use an app to backup your apps. I use titanium backup.

when I clean install, I do these steps:
    1) backup all apps & SMS in Titanium backup
    2) reboot recovery
    3) optional: make nandroid backup
    3) wipe cache, dalvik cache, factory data reset, system
    5) flash ROM, gapps
    5) optional: flash inverted gapps, different kernel, boot animation
    6) wipe cache and dalvik cache
    7) reboot
    8) go through intitial setup
    9) open play store and stop it from downloading 64 apps
    10) install titanium backup from play store
    11) restore all my (edit: user apps, no system apps) apps & SMS using titanium backup

dirty flash:
    1) boot into recovery
    2) wipe cache, dalvik cache, system
    3) install ROM, gapps, kernel, and whatever inverted stuff I like
    4) wipe cache and dalvik
    5) reboot

I don't even do nandroids anymore. If I flash a bad ROM, I just go back into recovery and flash the last stable ROM I had on.

scary alien and thefobjang like this.
  3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah a nadroid will bring back your apps, app data and all system data for that matter. It'll restore the whole phone back to exactly like it was at the time the backup was made including the rom itself so you can't restore only the apps after flashing to a new rom.

But like jova said, if you're going to be flashing roms or wiping a rooted phone for any reason, you want Titanium Backup for app retrieval. With it you can make scheduled, ongoing backups so you always have a fresh backup of all newly added apps and their data. Every time you flash a new rom, you download Titanium from the market, it recognizes your phone by way of a special file it places on the sdcard partition, and you restore all your apps and are back in business.

colchiro and scary alien like this.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Sorry I had to fix that one thing. Don't be mad at me.

The_Chief and colchiro like this.
  5. Copacetic

Copacetic Android Expert

Titanium now let's you create a zip on your SD card of Titaniums apk so you don't have to go to play store at all. You just flash Titanium at the end.

6. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

Personal preference. They just take up space and I never use them anymore. Just keep the last ROM I flashed on my phone, and dirty flash that if my new ROM is giving me troubles

7. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

More than once people have noticed I harp on the same subject. :D

Regulars will do what they please, but are better equipped at preventing issues as well as recovering from them. No-one said you have to keep them.

This recommendation is aimed primarily at those new to the subject, who appreciate having a nandroid when an issue arises.

I usually keep the latest for each rom so if I want to try one, I can probably dirty flash my nandroid.

8. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

How do I get rid of OLD nandroids? Thank you.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Just delete them. Either long-press in Astro or the file explorer on the PC. I back up about 6 or 7 to the PC and only keep the most recent two on the phone.

EDIT: By the way, thefobjang: WELCOME to the forums! Great to have you here! :)

atrain311 likes this.
  10. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

Go into the folder they're saved in and delete them. Keep at least one though. Just in case an issue does arise

11. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

Chief,
    Where do I find them in Astro? Nothing is obviously labeled as such when I hit "manage my files"

12. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

which recovery are you using? I personally use team win recovery project TWRP ever since I had a hiccup with clockwork mod.
    My nandroids are saved in the TWRP folder on the SD card partition.

atrain311 likes this.
  13. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

Ah, thank you. There's a folder called clockwork...

14. The_Chief

VIP Member

It's either in the ClockworkMod folder of the TWRP folder (whichever you're using). Backups subfolder and keep on going. You'll eventually see them in there :)

15. The_Chief

VIP Member

Oh wow, I was super-ninja'd :p

Anyway, if you use TWRP now, there is no reason to keep the CWM folder. You can delete that whole thing.

16. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

Okay, I'm still using clockwork. Now maybe I messed up. Not bad, but maybe a little...

I went into the clockwork folder, found the folder called backup, then deleted those folders within that "backup" folder because there were so many of them. I still left five of those there so I think I'm good, but I didn't go into those folders to just delete the specific file that said nandroid, I deleted that whole folder (the one that nandroid was in). Was I supposed to go into clockwork, backup, the folders inside backup and delete just the file that said nandroid?

God a picture would have been worth a thousand words.

17. iowabowtech

You did it right. You delete the entire folder for a given backup. These:

[​IMG]

atrain311 likes this.
  18. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

Thanks and love the WiFi and network icons you're using. Where did you get those?

19. iowabowtech

It's one of the many mods in JB Sourcery. Loving that rom. (specific mod is Cobalt status bar icons)

atrain311 likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews