• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] If I purchase a S4 today, can it be rooted?

DFA1

Nov 14, 2009
I'm thinking about upgrading from my HTC Rezound and had been looking at the HTC One and the new Moto Maxx/Mini. I know Verizon is big on controlling it's phones and users, and those two are having issues with root.

Has VZW put out any software updates or OTA that would make a Galaxy S4 unrootable if I picked one up in the near future?

This phone appeals to me in it's specs, SD card slot, and upgradable battery. Just wish it was smaller...

Its rootable. Just make sure that if you want to unlock your bootloader as well in order to flash custom recoveries/ROMs that you DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, update to the OTA that will be waiting for you.

The stock software that comes when you purchase it (unless Verizon recently changed things) ends in MDK, and this one is unlockable and fully customizable. The OTA updates it to ME7 and this version is NOT unlockable, however it is rooted so you can still use root apps.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Ahhh so there is a chance that new S4s could come with the latest OTA.... fawk!

There is a chance, but the warranty replacements are still coming out with MDK, and I got mine only about 3 weeks ago and it came with MDK also. Unfortunately I learned all this after I received mine and accidentally updated to the OTA. Still kicking myself for that...

Even if it does come with ME7, HashCode is currently developing SafeStrap for ME7 which will hijack the bootloader and allow installation of custom ROMs on a locked bootloader. The slight chance that you buy one that is already on ME7 shouldn't stop you from picking up an S4.

By the way, I LOVE mine even though I am on stock, rooted ME7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones