1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Install custom ROMS on VXW Galaxy S3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EnderWigginDA, Nov 2, 2014.

1. EnderWigginDA

EnderWigginDA Lurker

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) running Android version 4.4.2 and I am thinking about switching to either stock Android or CyanogenMod 11. In short, I want to know if this is even possible. I am seeing conflicting information. So, uh. Is it possible?

One page says I would be screwed by Knox if I see "warranty bit" on the device ROM download screen. I do not see this string following their instructions.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EnderWigginDA

EnderWigginDA Lurker

First post wouldn't let me post links so... second post.

This page says I would be screwed by Knox if I see "warranty bit" on the device ROM download screen. I do not see this string following their instructions.
    [FAQ] KNOX and you | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums

This was helpful:
    http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/866525-how-install-cyogenmod.html

This page says I can.
    Update Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat via CM11 Nightly–How To | True Android

This page says I can't.
    Install CM for d2vzw - CyanogenMod August 19, 2014
    Additionally, you must be a 4.2.2 or older build or this will not work. In fact, if you try to use this method on a newer revision, you will almost certainly brick your device. Seriously don't try it. Downgrading won't work either. If you've updated, a qfuse is already tripped and any attempt to downgrade will also result in a brick.

As does this (March, 2014): Advice on rooting verizon samsung galaxy s3 sch-i535 : cyanogenmod
    So by accepting the OTA from Verizon you also got the Samsung Knox. This Knox program from what I have read locks down your bootloader, thus preventing you from installing a custom recovery and custom roms. You can root it but AFAIK you can not unlock your bootloader until someone figures it out.

3. spagman72

spagman72 Member

Well here it is short and sweet :

Only the I535 on 4.1 has bootloaders that can be unlocked by using an app like Ez-unlock.
    With unlocked bootloaders it's possible to root / custom recovery and Rom the phone.

If an I535 is on 4.3 or 4.4.2 bootloaders, trying to unlock the bootloaders using ez-unlock will HARDBRICK the phone... Do not try it.

If you have 4.3 or 4.4.2 bootloaders search for a "bootstrap" solution for the I535, some people were successful. Read and do your homework first.... And as always... Any firmware modification can still soft/hard brick your phone.

I forgot to mention that you can still root the 4.3 and 4.4.2.... Just no rom/custom recovery flashing

Mikestony likes this.
  4. EnderWigginDA

EnderWigginDA Lurker

Thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews