1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Installed Axiom 2.1 rom along with the latest experimental Kernel and now battery life is HORRIBLE!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by litobirdy, Dec 29, 2011.

1. litobirdy

litobirdy Well-Known Member

I installed them last nite, made no changes to the kernel, just installed SetCPU and left everything as is. And my phone was at 100% last nite, went to sleep. unplugged, wake up at 6:30am(6 hours phone sleeping) and battery dropped to 17% WTF?????? is axiom a battery hog or what? wasnt even on 4g. it was on wifi, but it the phone was freakin sleeping.
    I will add that I also had Pixel Rain live wallpaper on. But again, phone was sleeping for 6 hours and I've read that pixel rain has not affected battery life. so what gives?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. litobirdy

I've taken off the live wallpaper and battery is still acting terrible.

3. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

all your apps load in the background from your gmail account sync...so if you started a new rom on a fresh battery then didnt plug it in id see how after it installed all your apps that youd wake up to a drained battery....could that be the case?

4. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

I've seen a few experiencing this on axiom. Whether kernel specific or phone setup/rogue app, it's anyone's guess as to why. I'd start by trying a few different kernels. Imoseyons 1.1.0 is excellent. HeyItsLou is an excellent alternative. Franco's #6 is blazing, but still has a slight battery drain issue. Wait for #7! You'll have to trouble shoot it piece by piece, if I were you I'd start over with fresh wipe and flash. gl!

5. litobirdy

it had been a few hours since i installed the rom and kernel and everthing was loaded already. so its definitely not that. I'll see 2nite if I wake up tomorrow mornign with the same result. I sure hope not.

6. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

Know that no one else is seeing your issue litobirdy as of yet. If this were a rom or kernel issue then it would have been reported by now. You might need to look at how you flashed, ie. whether you did a full wipe or flashover, how you restored your apps, and if there is a rogue app keeping the phone awake unbeknownst to you. Most are reporting a drop of about 1% per hour when sleeping.

7. litobirdy

ok, i guess close the thread since I'm the only weirdo? lol

8. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

Nah he's not saying that. Just giving good advice as to what the causes may be. I've seen several people (not pointing finger at you) saying they are having bad battery life without going to the effort of troubleshooting it themselves. The only way you'll find peace in this :)p) imo is to do just that. Start all over, completely wipe, and watch what you install, restore, etc...

bjanow likes this.
  9. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

I'm sure *someone* else is running into huge battery drain. This is not a bad thread at all, it might help others especially if you figure it out.

10. SecondShot

SecondShot Android Enthusiast

Battery Report: Flashed last night...got the "you are addicted" from my wife :D and plugged her in for the night. My phone that is. Off the charger at 7:30 and at 76% right now (with a 15 min chg on the way to work). One caveat: at work (and home for that matter) i use wifi (automatically through Y5) and that may help my battery life.

Do you use SetCPU? I have my screen off set at 350/350. Some kernels bake that stuff in, but I am not sure about IMO's kernel in this one. If you aren't using SetCPU, it might be a good thing to try.

SS

11. jmar

jmar Nexican

Stopping by to say: The ROM is new and the kernel is experimental. As suggested in previous posts, your problem could stem from any number of issues. The folks who've responded thusfar are offering some standard self-driven troubleshooting solutions in typical AF fashion. This is how I got my start 2 years ago; I posted my issues, got some feedback, dove in for a fix, rinsed, washed and repeated.

Please note I mean no condescend toward you; it is that in most cases you can find answers or potential solution to issues you may experience but the work must be put in by the you good sir.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

jmar

EDIT: quoted wrong post

12. litobirdy

This is my status rite now. Cell standby 40% lolol that is hilarious. wtf

Attached Files:

• 5054.jpg
      5054.jpg
      File size:
      127.6 KB
      Views:
  13. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

Those are not bad stats litobirdy!

14. SecondShot

I had the Thunderbolt before and it had pretty short battery life so I researched the best solutions for me. I thought they might be helpful to you... the ROM may in fact be the problem but these can't hurt.

Ok, here are my personal battery saving steps-they may help you, maybe not:
    1) JuiceDefender - free on the market - worked great on my thunderbolt but don't know if it has helped on GNex...just brought it over from TB
    2) Screeble Lite: also free on Market -- allows for a 15 screen timeout but keeps your screen on while you are using it. I am frequently answering calls from my holster and I figure this saves a measurable amount of battery by not leaving the screen on after use and more importantly frustration from a short timeout when you are reading long emails etc. I have this set to leave on in all but vertical (in holster) and horizontal(left on desk).
    3) SetCPU -- I create a screen off profile that limits the CPU (I use 350/350 on this device). This helps limit the impact of apps from crushing my battery while it is sleeping.
    4) Screen brighness. (don't like auto so I use 50% all the time)
    4) Y5 wifi auto connect tool -- available free on the market. This allows you to log in on your wifi network automatically. So, when I get to work it switches to wifi, and when i drive home it goes to 4g, and when i get home, it switches to wifi again.
    5) I leave BT on and GPS on for the most part. If i have to really squeeze battery then I will turn off GPS.

I rarely go to "3g only" although that will most certainly help battery. Again, if I had to make it through an 18 hour day on a business trip, I would do this.

SS

PS, IMO's 1.1 kernal was pretty dang good. May be worth trying that too. I will be going back to see how that affects things.

15. litobirdy

oh no, th eonly reason it says 35% is because i charged it. lol. But it realy did go from 100 to 17% in 6 sleeping hours.

16. eyetek

eyetek Well-Known Member

I have had great battery life with this same ROM, it was my first ROM on the nexus so far. The ROM has been flashed for two days now and running strong, currently today I unplugged the phone this AM at 8am and 6 hours later it has 56% battery life left. I have used 4G while out of the house for a couple hours....mostly Wifi but I would say moderate to heavy use.

I did do a battery calibration the right way and this I feel made a difference also.

I could not be happier because before I flashed this ROM I was draining the battery in less than 4 hours!

17. litobirdy

I just added the Screen off profile Interactive of 350/350 and i clicked Enabled. like i said We'll see tomorrow morning how it goes. I'll let it sleep at 100%

18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Also keep in mind that not all phones react the same to each kernel. I've personally used kernels on phones that work great for me but get reports from others that the same kernel kills their battery even on the same rom.

It looks like you leave 4G on all the time, I suggest switching to 3G only when you don't need the 4G speeds, LTE radios are hard on batteries.

I would also suggest when you get a full charge to boot into recovery and wipe battery stats under the advanced menu then reboot your phone. That may help if it is a reporting issue with your phone.

jbdan likes this.
  19. SecondShot

Here is a shot of my battery stats...first time uploading an image so i dont know if it will work.hmmm...should have researched first, ok, got it now.

Attached Files:

jbdan likes this.
  20. Izzledizzle

Izzledizzle Lurker

I installed it last night also and not gonna lie I have gotten pretty awesome battery life. About 30% left after 14 hours and I've used this thing a ton today. I've had 4g off all day and have setcpu for 350mhz when the screen is off, but I've been very impressed with the battery so far

21. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Android Enthusiast

I quit zygote/axiom after 1.8 due to the new kernels he started using. I believe they came overclocked out of the box and were unstable.

If you want good battery life, try Gummy + Imoseyon's lean kernel. or any ROM + IMoseyon's Lean kernel.

jbdan likes this.
  22. igotgame

igotgame Well-Known Member

I am using Axiom 2.2 test version (it ain't out yet) and its running Imo's version 3 experimental kernel..I am close to 16 hours off charger and at 51% battery...that's with just over an hour of screen on time, 20 mins or so worth of calls, numerous text, web browsing...typical day.

Running 350-1200 MHz in setcpu...no overclock and running interactivex governer which actually cuts off one of the CPUs when the screen is off.

23. litobirdy

Ok so today much better battery after letting it sleep for about 8 hours it dropped about 11%....

24. litobirdy

Hey guys real quick.half hour of internet usage which includes about 10 mins of youtube.and also .18 percent battery drained on 4g. Dues that sound normal?

25. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert

Keep in mind that different CPU's react differently to different kernels. Some get great battery life and other horrible on the same kernel. Some CPU's resist over clocking with one but not another. I'm not knowledgable enough to know why this is, but I've been rooting for almost 2 years with my OG Droid, my Droid X and now my GNex, and the results have always been the same.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews